Photo

Does Professor Rice take effect if he is drawn at the beginning of the game?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Mud Turkey 13

Mud Turkey 13

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 10:00 PM

Hello!  It has been some time since I have played, and, of coure, I came across something that I was unsure about.  My friend was using Roland, and he drew Professor Rice as his starting ally.  If he is taken at the beginning of the game like that does his card text still take effect?  He is still entering play, but it is from the very beginning.  Would each unstable location then, in effect, start the game with two clue tokens on it?  We played it so that his text still did take effect, and everything had two clue tokens until the first gate opened.

One other thing did occur that I was pretty sure I played correctly, but I figure I might as well take this opportunity to confirm it.  There was a mythos card that made the first player switch the location of two investigators.  It did not specify investigators "in Arkham," and it did say that there were no restrictions on movement of any kind.  Would it then be legal to switch an investigator in an other world with an investigator who is still in Arkham?

It feels good to be playing again, and, as always, thank you for any information that you may be able to provide!

#2 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,370 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 05:05 AM

Mad Turkey 13,

There's absolutely no prohibition on when an Ally is placed into service.  If you're lucky enough, as Roland or Charlie or Leo to draw Professor Rice, you've made the game a bit easier...but remember, you still have to go retrieve them from the Unstable Locations.

Cheers,

Joe

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

#3 Steve-O

Steve-O

• Members
  • 4,680 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 06:33 AM

I would agree with the way you played both cases.

I know that investigator abilities that allow drawing extra cards do take effect when drawing random possessions at the start of the game, so it makes sense that this ally effect would also kick in.

As for the swapping places thing, if it didn't say "investigators in Arkham" then Other Worlds are also valid locations. =)

#4 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,540 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 03:02 PM

All allies when entering play have their special text being triggered. So, you get the extra clues for Professor Rice.

As per "swapping"... "locations" means "in Arkham" in 99% of the cases. Mind reporting the text on the Mythos card? Also, look at the FAQ, pag 2, for an exaustive list of exceptions on the topic "locations" :)

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#5 Mud Turkey 13

Mud Turkey 13

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 07:15 AM

The card was "Compass Needles Point South!"

"The first player chooses two investigators. Those investigators immediately exchange locations, ignoring all monster and movement restrictions."

#6 Dr.Faust

Dr.Faust

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 02:22 PM

It DOES say 'Movement Restrictions'~ ;)

#7 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,540 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 03:37 PM

The card was "Compass Needles Point South!"

"The first player chooses two investigators. Those investigators immediately exchange locations, ignoring all monster and movement restrictions."

Thanks.

So, the card is a Headline. Headlines affect Arkham only, unless it's clearly stated on the card. You are not subject to pickpockets while in the OWs and so on.

The "movement restrictions" to be ignored implies this card allows you to swap position with an investigator in a "restricted" location (Devil Reef, Y'han'I-cannot-spell-it, any location on the Kingsport Head, and so on).

Hope this helps!

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]

#8 Mud Turkey 13

Mud Turkey 13

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 04:33 PM

I never realized that Headlines were intended to only have an effect on Arkham, but that does make perfect sense. Thanks, Julia!
  • Julia likes this

#9 D4L3W

D4L3W

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 09:37 AM

I just looked through the rulebook and FAQ and can't find anything that states that headlines only affect Arkham and not Other Worlds. While this makes sense, where is this stated?

#10 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,540 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 11:54 AM

Fair question. A lot of time ago, Kevin said he'd have done a list of Environments / Mythos affecting OWs. He never returned to this issue, and you're right when saying there's no official ruling on this. It's more something that it's "public wisdom". Consider for instance the Temperence fever sweeps city Headline. Even if the text doesn't mention "in Arkham" it's clearly a non-sense to have it been used for people in Yuggoth (unless Arkham's cops know best many unnamable things). Same for Pickpockets at large! and so on. So, the common understandng for Headlines is that those Mythos cards never affect OWs (which has sense also thematically: while travelling through Carcosa, who cares of what happens in Arkham?) unless it's specified on the card.

• The Professor likes this

#11 D4L3W

D4L3W

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 07:19 PM

Fair enough. And it's a thematically sound house rule at the least. It always bugged me that you could be traveling through an OW and find five bucks (which is possible). Sorta seems like traveling to Mars and finding a Pepsi can (which may make you go a little insane. Maybe it is thematically sound after all... : ) )
  • Julia likes this

#12 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,540 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 03:09 AM

Sorta seems like traveling to Mars and finding a Pepsi can (which may make you go a little insane. Maybe it is thematically sound after all... : ) )

LOL

Considering Pepsi was founded in 1898, also totally compatible with the Mythos universe!

#13 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,370 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 07:11 AM

Julia,

Your knowledge of U.S. business trivia is stunning! :rolleyes: 

Ciao,

Joe

The Professor

#14 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,540 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 07:35 AM

Joe,

I'm impressive only at using occult resources (read: wikipedia) :D

J

#15 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,370 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 02:14 PM

Julia,

Some out the stuff out there on thre interweb will destroy your mind faster than a passge from the Necronomicon.

My colleague and I just finished a play-test for an extremely well-balanced war game, scheduled for release, next year by Decision Games

Ciao,

Joe

Edited by The Professor, 19 July 2014 - 02:17 PM.

The Professor

#16 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,540 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 03:12 PM

:laughter: my mind was just destroyed by watching "The Inside Job" documentary :D

Nice you had another one tested, Joe :)

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS