Photo

Fantasy Flight forbidden from Star Wars Board Games?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 patox

patox

• Members
  • 534 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 10:12 AM

So I read somewhere that Star Wars board games were exclusive to Hasbro, while the hobbyist games were exclusive to Fantasy Flight, i.e. X-Wing, card games and the role playing game.

Someone also suggested that the star tiles, even though they were ill-conceived, were actually cancelled because it would take X-Wing into the realm of board games.

And on top of all that, another source mentions that X-Wing would never have a ground battle component because that would also take the game into the board game territory.

Can anyone shed additional light on to this?

(edited to remove: search function parentheticals) 

Edited by patox, 14 July 2014 - 10:47 AM.

#2 Aminar

Aminar

• Members
  • 3,110 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 10:13 AM

It's speculation. Nobody knows exactly what those contracts look like. And Ground Minis or Space minis, it's still a minis game.
  • Vorpal Sword likes this

#3 Sanchez

Sanchez

• Members
  • 341 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 10:18 AM

That sounds dumb enough to be true.
  • haslo, oddeye, UnfairBanana and 3 others like this

#4 DagobahDave

DagobahDave

Laser Brain

• Members
  • 1,264 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 10:24 AM

There seem to be several good reasons why the starfield tiles didn't make it to prime time -- yeah, releasing a "board" for a game that's not supposed to be a board game might have been one of them -- but it's possible that FFG can't/won't release anything for X-Wing that doesn't actually include a miniature. I hope that's not true, because I think there are a lot of cool things they could do with packs featuring just cards and tokens.

Join the Unofficial X-Wing Galactic Campaign and propel your favorite faction toward victory every time you play!

#5 Cptnhalfbeard

Cptnhalfbeard

• Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 10:25 AM

(wouldn't it be nice if the forums had a search function?)

They do, it's at the top of the page...
  • patox likes this

#6 oddeye

oddeye

• Members
  • 547 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 10:27 AM

(wouldn't it be nice if the forums had a search function?)

They do, it's at the top of the page...

you really can't blame him. I didn't notice it was there for quite some time. It's really inconspicuously placed and especially hard to see with the dark theme..

I see your schwartz is as big as mine. Let's see how you handle it!

#7 patox

patox

• Members
  • 534 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 10:45 AM

Thanks for showing me the "search" function at the top. Obvious, but not so obvious.

• Wingfist and oddeye like this

#8 GlassJaw

GlassJaw

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 10:56 AM

Star Wars is one of the most piecemeal licenses out there.  Wouldn't surprise me if the miniatures, RPG, and card game license didn't include board games.

X-Wing x3, Y-Wing x2, A-Wing x2, B-Wing x2, HWK x1, Falcon x1

Tie Fighter x5, Tie Int x4, Tie Bomber x2, Tie Adv x1, Slave-1 x1, Lambda x2

#9 Caadium

Caadium

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 11:32 AM

but it's possible that FFG can't/won't release anything for X-Wing that doesn't actually include a miniature.

The dice pack suggests this is not the case.

• DagobahDave likes this

#10 Aminar

Aminar

• Members
  • 3,110 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 11:36 AM

but it's possible that FFG can't/won't release anything for X-Wing that doesn't actually include a miniature.

Those have nothing Star Wars related on them though. On the packaging, but nothing else. There might be some odd art restrictions... I doubt it though. You are most likely right.

#11 Sithborg

Sithborg

• Members
  • 2,455 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 11:37 AM

The packaging is all that is needed.

#12 UnfairBanana

UnfairBanana

• Members
  • 1,276 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 11:38 AM

Dice != miniatures. This guy beat me to it.
But, one could say FFG won't release anything that doesn't involve small plastic things...

Rebels: 3 A-wings, 3 B-wings, 2 E-wing, 4 X-Wings, 2 Y- Wings, 2 Z-95s, 1 HWK-290, 1 YT-1300, 1 YT-2400, 1 GR-75 Space whale, 1 CR-90 Corvette

Empire: 6 TIE/LN, 4 TIE Interceptors, 2 TIE Bombers, 1 TIE Advanced, 2 TIE Defender, 2 TIE Phantom, 2 Firesprays, 1 Lambda, 1 VT-49

#13 haslo

haslo

• Members
  • 585 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 11:42 AM

Dice != miniatures. This guy beat me to it.
But, one could say FFG won't release anything that doesn't involve small plastic things...

...except for print-on-demand expansions like they have for Mansions of Madness, Game of Thrones and Death Angel...

Imperials: 13 TIE Fighter, 5 TIE Advanced, 15 TIE Interceptor, 4 Slave I, 6 TIE Bomber, 5 Lambda Shuttle, 3 TIE Defender, 4 TIE Phantom

Rebels: 1 Tantive IV, 1 Rebel Transport, 7 X-Wing, 5 Y-Wing, 4 YT-1300, 6 A-Wing, 5 B-Wing, 5 HWK-290, 6 Z-95, 3 E-Wing

#14 WonderWAAAGH

WonderWAAAGH

Oasean Ork

• Members
  • 3,475 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 12:13 PM

Star Wars themed dice bags are also incoming.
It's not easy being green.

#15 sigidi

sigidi

• Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:11 PM

and a star wars themed dice app

• DagobahDave likes this

#16 TheWanderingMiller

TheWanderingMiller

• Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 02:22 PM

Hello... FFG Limited Edition Star Wars Art Sleeves!

#17 Rakky Wistol

Rakky Wistol

The Grey

• Members
  • 2,884 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 02:27 PM

You usually see board games come out when a product line is in decline.  It allows them to use all the left overs!  At least that's how I most often see them being used. 

#18 MacrossVF1

MacrossVF1

• Members
  • 495 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 04:34 PM

You think Star Wars has strange license deals? People I give you the Lord of the Rings. Apparently it is possible to have the license for the movies but not the books, and vice versa. For instance, if you are making a LoTR video game when you have the movie license, you can't use the likeness of the characters from the books. I don't know about you guys but I really thought 'WTF?' when I first heard of this.

The Alternative Wargamer: http://alternativewa...er.blogspot.se/

Repaints and scratchbuilds: http://alternativewa...ar Wars: X-wing

#19 El_Tonio

El_Tonio

• Members
  • 442 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 04:57 PM

I think it is correct that Hasbro has the exclusive Star Wars board game license in the U.S.  I read that this is why Lego could release their Star Wars game in Europe but not in the U.S. a year or so back.

#20 Eltnot

Eltnot

• Members
  • 980 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 05:09 PM

You think Star Wars has strange license deals? People I give you the Lord of the Rings. Apparently it is possible to have the license for the movies but not the books, and vice versa. For instance, if you are making a LoTR video game when you have the movie license, you can't use the likeness of the characters from the books. I don't know about you guys but I really thought 'WTF?' when I first heard of this.

Still not as bad as the convoluted mess that is the Macross/Robotech licensing.

For those interested: http://kotaku.com/59...nearly-15-years

Carpe Jugulum

Spoiler

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS