Photo

Are there any weird traditions where you game?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Scizzler

Scizzler

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:54 AM

I've been playing for over a year now and I've played in several stores but only one always feels like home. I say this, because we have strange traditions and practices. I figured I would share them with the community with hopes that maybe some of you have your own.

The first tradition was started thanks to Miley Cyrus. One of our guys would start belting out the chorus to Miley Cyrus' Wrecking Ball every time he one shot Tie Fighters with Han or Wedge. Then it spread to any time someone caused a collision that messed up an entire squad's movements. Now we have expanded to entire sing-a-longs during matches, but only a few lines at a time.

Second- the dance moves. Around the time Imperial Aces came out and the rise of royal interceptors with PTL and even Imperial Elites for that matter, with all the barrel rolls, the boosts, and the arc dancing we had the "Moving like Bernie." Now there are times when the entire store is "movin like Bernie" in unison

For those of you who don't know how to move like Bernie:

Lastly, we have our most recent tradition, rolling attack dice. Any time someone throws an insult (jokingly) or talks smack, someone shouts "SHOTS FIRED, roll attack dice" and typically depending on the intensity of the burn, you roll a number of attack dice and the recipient of said burn rolls 3 defense dice.

Anyway, that's some of my groups odd quirks. I hope you guys have some great stories to share as well!

Edited by Scizzler, 14 July 2014 - 08:55 AM.

• polmoneys likes this

I've got ships for days

#2 Osoroshii

Osoroshii

龍神

• Members
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:07 AM

That seems like a fun group you have there. I just wonder if the walk like Bernie is lost on the younger crowed if they've never seen the movie.

Edited by Osoroshii, 14 July 2014 - 09:07 AM.

• Scizzler likes this

#3 Scizzler

Scizzler

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:14 AM

That seems like a fun group you have there. I just wonder if the walk like Bernie is lost on the younger crowed if they've never seen the movie.

in the age of information and smart phones, if anyone doesn't "get it" we typically have someone youtubing trailers, movie clips, etc to fill them in. Almost all of our new players have gotten into the spirit of having a good laid back time.

I've got ships for days

#4 Rhinoviru3

Rhinoviru3

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:19 AM

My LGS isn't as fun as yours, but we have our quirks! One of our members consistently brings a little Bluetooth speaker and plays music from the movies and other little SW soundbites. We also do R2-D2's screams everytime a Rebel with a astromech is shot at :L

Edited by Rhinoviru3, 14 July 2014 - 09:19 AM.

• Scizzler likes this

Rebels: 4X, 2Y, 2B, 2A, 2Hwk, 2YT, 1GR-75, 2E, 4Z, 1x YT-2400,
(See my Rebels paint thread here!)

Empire: 5x TIE/ln, 3x TIE/sa, 4x TIE/Int, 1x TIE/A, 1x F-31, 1x Lambda, 3x TIE/Pha, 1x TIE/D
(And my Imperial paint thread here!)

#5 Cptnhalfbeard

Cptnhalfbeard

• Members
  • 451 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:53 AM

I don't know if I call it a tradition, more of an odd thing I do - when I am in a situation where my most advantageous move is to go full speed through an asteroid I start singing "eye of the tiger"...
  • Scizzler likes this

#6 Scizzler

Scizzler

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 10:27 AM

My LGS isn't as fun as yours, but we have our quirks! One of our members consistently brings a little Bluetooth speaker and plays music from the movies and other little SW soundbites. We also do R2-D2's screams everytime a Rebel with a astromech is shot at :L

I want to make the R2 screams a thing!

I don't know if I call it a tradition, more of an odd thing I do - when I am in a situation where my most advantageous move is to go full speed through an asteroid I start singing "eye of the tiger"...

love it love it love it

• Cptnhalfbeard likes this

I've got ships for days

#7 Hobojebus

Hobojebus

Tie Defender Ace

• Members
  • 1,041 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 10:39 AM

My friend insists we use the right side of the range template he refuses to use the green side and I get dirty looks if I use red.

#8 Bikeanimal

Bikeanimal

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 10:59 AM

Lol I only wish I could move like Bernie (I could probably manage it on the floor- when I'm actually trying to get up again...) ahh it's always good to have your geekdom reaffirmed...

On the plus side we do have an excellent resident Chewie (size and hair included). He's pretty vocal-I haven't had the opportunity to tell him to "laugh it up fuzzball" yet tho... All in good time....
  • Scizzler likes this

#9 Explosive Ewok

Explosive Ewok

• Members
  • 291 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 11:22 AM

I gotta say, I've never heard of the whole moving like Bernie thing before. I'm not one that keeps too much on top of Pop Culture, apparently. But I find it hilarious that it's a thing. I loved that movie when I was growing up, haven't seen it in so long.

• Scizzler likes this
"The world is like a ride at an amusement park, and when you choose to go on it you think it's real because that's how powerful our minds really are..."

#10 Scizzler

Scizzler

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 11:34 AM

My friend insists we use the right side of the range template he refuses to use the green side and I get dirty looks if I use red.

I think everyone knows a guy like that lol

I gotta say, I've never heard of the whole moving like Bernie thing before. I'm not one that keeps too much on top of Pop Culture, apparently. But I find it hilarious that it's a thing. I loved that movie when I was growing up, haven't seen it in so long.

We do it every weekend!

I've got ships for days

#11 DrStranglovin

DrStranglovin

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:33 PM

My one buddy dresses up like slave Leia, but its
more of a request than I tradition I suppose. :/

#12 R2Tito

R2Tito

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 02:48 PM

We just have the most obvious ones, which is saying "do a barrel roll" a LA Starfox, "it's a trap", and "I have a bad feeling about this". Oh, and joking about betting our babies.

#13 DarthSidious

DarthSidious

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 03:14 PM

Some things cannot be unseen ;)

Rebels: 3xX-Wing, 2xB-Wing, 2xA-Wing, 1xY-Wing, 1xYT-1300, 1xHWK-290, 1xCR90, 2xE-Wing, 2xZ-95

Empire: 6xTIE Fighter, 2xTIE Advanced, 1xLambda Shuttle, 2xTIE Interceptor, 3xImperial Aces, 4xTIE Bomber, 1xFirespray-31, 2xTIE Defender, 2xTIE Phantom

'Loose' is when your pants are three sizes too big.  'Lose' is when your defense dice come up blanks.

#14 Eltnot

Eltnot

• Members
  • 808 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 05:32 PM

Everyone at my LGS bows down before me and refers to me as "My Lord".

Not really but I'm hoping it will catch on.

Carpe Jugulum

Spoiler

#15 Scizzler

Scizzler

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 08:04 AM

I read this at our tournament last night and the entire room burst into laughter. Then in a Survivor like scenario, the group voted who would have to dress himself as slave Leia

• DrStranglovin likes this

I've got ships for days

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS