X-Wing Tournament

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 McBain

McBain

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 04:20 AM

I normally run a 4 ship small base Rebel squad but was curious about the Han Solo super tank I have been reading about so I gave it a run!

My Squad:
64 Han Solo, PTL, Luke Skywalker, C3P0, Title, Engine
12 Bandit
12 Bandit
12 Bandit
-100-

Modified rules where you had to have at least a 20 point difference (instead of 12) to claim a win. Five x 75 minute rounds.

Round 1

37 Echo VI, FCS, ACD
32 Soontir Fel, PTL, TC
31 Turr, PTL, Stealth Device
-100-

My opponent won initiative and I deployed my Bandits in a pinwheel formation on a flank with Han on the outside edge. He spread his deployment of his 3 ships evenly across the board.

I knew I would be at the mercy of his superior movement and would be vulnerable to him picking off my Bandits while staying out of range/range 3 of Han then either running and turtling with Focus+Evade to win on points or rolling the dice and throwing his 3 ships into Han at range 1 and killing him in a couple of rounds of shooting.

Onto the game:

Bandits and Han stayed in formation and advanced up the flank waiting for my opponent to allow me to shoot him. He didn’t waste anytime and threw Soontir and Turr at the Bandits while Echo repositioned towards the middle and Cloaked. He managed to 1 shot a Bandit at range 3 with Hit, Hit, Crit to my blanks and drawing a Direct Hit! (this was to happen once every game of the day…) Well done!

After that it went down hill pretty quickly for him as Han Solo with Luke Skywalker as crew killed his aces one by one, his green dice didn't help but they rarely do.

Han Solo with Luke Skywalker was a bad match up for his squad! 100 – 12.

1-0.

Round 2

49 Han Solo, EH Nien Nunb
51 Lando, EH, Gunner
-100-

An interesting match up and I was concerned about having enough firepower to kill 2 Falcons in 75 minutes. I was assuming he would fly his Falcons together, drop my Bandits early then either go all out against Han in range 1 or worst case – run away and hope to keep both his Falcons alive and take an easy win. Lando with Gunner was an decent counter to my PTL Focus+Evade+C3P0 Falcon…

I won initiative and decided to take it so I could move and take actions before his Han and hopefully block him in the process if required.

I deployed the same as the previous game, Bandits in pinwheel on the flank, Han on the outside – expecting to wear the hurt of his dual Falcons coming straight at me for a shootout.

Instead he surprised me and split his Falcons – Lando, as his biggest weapon lined up in front of my entire squad and his Han on the opposite flank.

After seeing his deployment I floored it with everything towards Lando to try and catch him without support. Lando turned on the opening move to the far flank and his Han went 4 forward on the far flank in a plan to eventually get around and then behind me.

After him seeing that I was going all out for Lando I was expecting Lando to outrun my Bandits while his Han came back to support – Instead he tried some funny buggers with his Lando Expert Handling Barrel Rolls to try and buy some time or get behind me with some unexpected moves. His Han continued to circle around to get behind my Bandits

My Han and Lando traded blows while the Bandits struggled to keep up and get themselves into the fight and his Han continued to get behind the Bandits. Han using PTL, Focus+Evade+C3P0 was a strong combo and the war of attrition was in my favour. By the time the Bandits caught up to Lando he was out of Shields and low on Hull – This didn’t stop Lando from 1 shotting a bandit at Range 3 though: Hit, Hit, Crit to blank evades and drawing a Direct hit… 2/2 in my games so far!

The Bandits finished Lando off while his Han got stuck into my Han. Without Gunner on his Han though it was a one-sided fight - Again the combo of PTL, Focus+Evade+C3P0 was awesome. And the combined firepower of my squad dropped his Han in a couple of rounds.

Han Solo equipped with PTL, C3P0 and Falcon Title was a powerhouse. 100 – 12.

2-0.

Round 3

37 Whisper, VI, ACD
34 Jendon, FCS, Vader, Wpns Engineer, Title
15 Night Beast
13 Obsidian
-99-

A clever little squad that didn’t overly concern me though – When that happens it rings an alarm bell for me as that’s when I usually lose! His squad worked on Jendon handing out Tgt Locks for all and trying to confuse target priority while Whisper flanks.

He took initiative so Whisper could fire and Cloak before Han shot back.

I setup exactly the same with the Bandits in a pinwheel on a flank with Han on the outside edge. He setup with Jendon and his Tie Fighters directly opposite and Whisper on the far flank.

I floored it forward to try and get to him before Whisper arrived but he stalled the shuttle and slow advanced to allow time for Whisper to get into a nice flanking position around the middle of the board.

I knew he would try blocking Han with his Ties/Jendon so I put him out in front of the Bandits (but still on their outside) so it would either force him to bank toward the edge of the table or Barrel Roll outwards and not have focus actions if he really wanted to block him. He did the latter and Barrel Rolled out. Luckily Han Solo’s judgement was spot on and he was far back enough to not be blocked but far fwd enough that he could fly past a stalled Jendon with a 3 bank next round towards the top centre of the board.

After the opening exchange I minus all the shields on Han, some damaged Bandits and lost yet another Bandit to a Hit, Hit, Crit with blank evades and a Direct Hit.. 3/3!

The following round saw the bandits with nowhere to go and crashing into a stalled Jendon/Tie's while the Ties K-Turned behind my surviving Bandits – Whisper stayed near the centre of the table in an attempt to avoid Han but get some shots on the Bandits. Han got clear of the danger with a 3 bank over Jendon and rubbed salt into his wounds by Boosting towards Whisper and Pushed the Limit to Focus..

Onto the shooting and the bandits were killed between the combined fire of his squad and Han stripped Whisper of his shields thanks to Luke Skywalker.

It was now and injured Han Solo vs his full squad with a damaged Whisper!

His Ties gave chase while his Shuttle was out of the game for a couple of turns to try and reposition. Whisper ran to try and get into Range 3 of Han but still have a shot. Han cleared his stress and Boosted out of range from the chasing Tie Fighters. The shooting saw Whisper get into Han’s
Hull but Han with Luke dropped Whisper in return. It was now a 5 Health Han vs 2 x Ties and Jendon.

The Ties continued to chase while Jendon finally turned back into the fight. Han turtle'd up with Focus+Evade+C3P0 and dropped a Tie before it could shoot back. The return fire saw no damage as Han with his combo was too strong. From there Han made short work of the other Tie then got behind Jendon and slowly finished him off over the next couple of rounds.

Once again Han with all his upgrades proved too strong. 100 – 36.

3-0.

Round 4

36 Wedge, PTL, Proton Torps
39 Etahn, R2-D2, Stealth Device
25 Blue Sqn, Ion Cannon
-100-

An odd squad but it was also a bit of a concern as Wedge could negate the Evade/C3P0 combo and PTL with Proton Torps + Etahn allowing some extra Crits could really hurt Han. A 3 evade dice ship with a Stealth Device and R2-D2 is also a formidable tank and the last thing I wanted was Etahn hanging around in the end game. Then there was the Blue with an Ion Cannon to take advantage of a PTL Stressed Han if he could, also it was now round 4 and we were both 3-0 so he was no slouch.

He won the toss and chose to take the initiative which he said he thought was a mistake after we started and I had to agree – It would make it that little bit harder for him to get a Target Lock on Han and shoot those Proton Torpedoes.

I setup the same again with bandits in pinwheel on a flank and waited to see where Wedge went before I placed Han with the plan to place him as far away as possible from Wedge

He surprised me by not deploying his ships in a close formation and instead chose to spread them out a bit to try and (I assume) split my squad. Etahn was directly opposite my Bandits, the Blue was in the middle with Wedge towards the far flank. I was glad when I saw Wedge deployed to the far flank away from the Bandits as it allowed me to put Han in his favourite spot on the outside edge of the board right next to his little fragile friends – As far away from Wedge as possible and getting some safety in numbers.

The opening round saw me floor it forward on the flank again to try and reach Etahn before Wedge arrived. He sent his B-Wing towards the centre of the table and Etahn to the same flank with as me as some bait. Wedge deployed sideways towards my squad and went 4 fwd to get into the fight as soon as he could. I took the Etahn bait with Han and Boosted forward and then threw in a Focus for good measure. I needed to drop Etahn as soon as possible so he wouldn’t hang around with R2-D2. I at least needed to turn off his Stealth Device before the Bandits arrived to give them some sort of hope to hit him.

Shooting saw Han take Etahn’s focus away on the first volley before Luke kicked in and took 2 Shields. Importantly though his Stealth Device was now gone.

The following round saw the Bandits floor it towards Etahn, his Blue move into a nice centre table position in the Bandit flank’s, Etahn holding position with an easy green to regain a shield and Wedge fwd 4 again but this time was a half inch outside of Tgt Lock Han! A stroke of luck. Han now casually pulled up alongside Etahn and unloaded on him – knocking his shields out and leaving him with 2 Hull left. Han lost some shields and received an Ion token from the Blue. The Bandits only managed to deliver 1 more damage to Etahn but that left him on 1 Hull.

Next round and the Bandits now ignored Etahn and went after Wedge with and easy 1 bank towards Wedge, confident that Han could finish Etahn.. That and they would have had to K-Turn to shoot Etahn which would likely leave Wedge right behind them!

The Blue ignored the Bandits and turned to where he thought Han was going to try and give the second Ion token (Blue now facing the centre top of the table towards his own deployment zone). Etahn boldly K-Turned to stay in the fight in an attempt to draw Han’s fire away from Wedge.

Wedge also ignored the Bandits and in an unexpected and risky move K-Turned behind them to be at the top edge of the board facing the centre. Han did as expected and banked towards to the middle. Han now had a choice of either staying in place and receiving 3 ship’s worth of fire and a likely 2nd Ion token or Boosting out of Range to finish Etahn but also avoiding the arc of the Ion Cannon toting B-Wing. Han chose to run away.

Shooting and Wedge satisfied the requirement to 1 shot a Bandit with 4 hits and no evades. 4/4! Han dropped the shields on Wedge in return.

Next round and a Bandit Blocked Wedge to stop him getting his Target Lock on Han while the other K-Turned to get a shot on him, the Blue went after Han again to try and get that 2nd Ion token on him. Etahn regained and shield and moved towards the middle to give himself options while Han circled back towards Etahn to finish him.

Onto shooting and Wedge dropped a Bandit to 1 Hull while Han and Luke combined to finally kill Etahn. The Blue Sqn killed landed 3 hits on Han with his Ion Cannon but once again Focus+Evade+C3P0 was too good and Han evaded them all. Wedge was reduced to 2 Hull from one of the Bandits while the other removed some shields off the Blue.

Things were looking grim for my opponent as Wedge was on his last legs and the Blue was struggling to get a shot on Han.

The Bandits blocked Wedge again while the Blue gave up chasing Han and went after the Bandits. Han circled around to Wedges flank ready for the kill. Wedge had no shot so Han did his thing and killed Wedge. Some shooting between the Blue and Bandits left a dead Bandit and shield-less Blue.

This final round and Han got into Range 1 to finish the Blue.

Han with upgrades for the win. 100 – 24.

4-0.

Round 5

So the Super Han Solo build had done really well and got me into the final without much trouble. I was against a bloke I had played before and after checking out his squad I knew I was in trouble. He is an excellent player and he had one of the most innovative and to be honest one of the best squad I have ever seen. It was a really clever and unassuming squad that he is both undefeated with since he started using it and he finished most of his games in under 30 minutes for the day! I managed to sneak a win over him in our last game a couple of months ago and he was keen for payback. It would be rude of me to post his squad without permission so I apologise for that but I'm happy to mention it had Biggs.

I knew if I was going to beat him I had to kill Biggs in the first Round or 2 of shooting before it was only Han Solo left. If it was Han vs his 4 ships with Biggs still alive I had virtually no chance. If it was Han vs his 3 ships without Biggs I would be pretty confident.

My opponent also knew this as well and with that in mind, after I deployed my Bandits on the flank in pinwheel, he setup directly opposite in a tight formation to kill the Bandits as soon as possible so they couldn’t return fire at Biggs. Well that was that then – after a day of tactical manoeuvring it was going to be a straight shootout. Good stuff as everyone likes a quick game!

My plan was to start slowly for the first couple of rounds to make him think I would try to stay at max range to get maximum shooting – that would suit his squad and give extra evade dice to Biggs so he seemed pretty happy with my plan. He slow advanced as well and on the 3rd round I floored it to a) try and block his actions with my Bandits and b) get into Range 1 of Biggs straight away. I managed to achieve half of my plan in that I got Han + 2 Bandits into range 1 of Biggs but I missed out on blocking him by about a centimetre!

I started well with getting 3 Hits and a Crit on Biggs with Han but he evaded 2 without spending his Focus. He killed a Bandit in return with a traditional 1 shot of 4 Hits to blank evade dice (5/5!) and removed the shields on the other 2. The 2 remaining Bandits rolled another 4 hits on Biggs. Biggs evaded them all…

This was not good.

The Bandits were now unable to 3 K-Turn as they undershot the block so were left with a 3 turn to get out of Han’s way so he could 1 Bank and try to stay in Range of Biggs.

His squad all K-Turned and Han moved to clear his stress. Han tried to Tgt Lock+Focus on Biggs but he was out of range. This was really not good. I put some shots onto another of his ships instead and dropped the shields. His return fire saw him reduce a Bandit to 1 Hull.

I was in a bad spot now as Biggs was still alive and Han needed to turn back into his squad to ensure I could get range on Biggs. One of the Bandits 3 turned to get himself into a flanking position next turn and the other K-Turned to get some more shooting on Biggs. His squad banked towards Han to start punishing him for chasing Biggs. Han landed 3 Hits on Biggs but 2 were Evaded. The return fire saw the K-Turning Bandit getting killed and Han losing some shields.

Han now had 4 ships on his flank and Biggs was still alive. I could either run and reposition or try to finish Biggs. The problem was that Biggs was regaining shields and if I ran it was as good as over. I wouldn’t have the firepower to take Biggs out with Han on his own (Solo?). I decided to wear the hurt on Han and stayed as close to Biggs as I could, trying to get my single Bandit around in time and help out Han with killing Biggs. His squad banked towards Han and once again I rolled 3 hits but only 1 got through. His return fire dropped Han to 5 Hull and gave him a Crit that double stressed him (already stressed from PTL). Biggs was still alive, Han was double stressed and my only hope was now a Hail Mary to both drop his only weakened non-Biggs ships and keep Han alive. Without actions on Han this was going to be tricky!

I knew he was going to go for the Kill on Han now I couldn’t take an action this round so Han hard 1 turned into his squad to stop Biggs and one other ship shooting him while the Bandit floored it to get some shots on Biggs. Han landed 3 hits on the weakened ship in range 1 but he evaded 2 and stayed alive on 1 Hull! My Bandit only managed 1 damage to Biggs and his return Fire on Han landed 3 Hits and a Crit. Direct Hit and that was game!

The squad’s lack of firepower showed in this game. 0 – 100

A great game and he played it perfectly for the win. Overall I was very impressed with a fully loaded Han Solo and if you’re having problems with Phantoms – I think Han is your man!

Whilst I did enjoy this version of the Falcon and it was something different because I don't normally play them - It was a little boring and one dimensional throughout the day. If I was to use it again I think I would look at dropping PTL for VI and dropping Luke for Gunner so I could upgrade the Bandits to Tala's.

No doubt a stong squad but it seems it's stong at the moment due to Phantoms scaring away the more traditional squads of Tie Swarms or 4 Ship Rebels ect. I could be wrong.

Anyway I hope you enjoyed it.

Cheers!

Edited by McBain, 15 July 2014 - 06:23 AM.

• Mace Windu likes this

#2 jamios

jamios

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 05:54 AM

Nice read man!

Can you let me know how you set-up your falcon on the outside edge? How much of the falcon can start on the outside?

Thanks man

#3 McBain

McBain

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:52 PM

Nice read man!

Can you let me know how you set-up your falcon on the outside edge? How much of the falcon can start on the outside?

Thanks man

Glad you liked it.

Standard setup where the Falcon fits on the outside of the Bandits facing fwd - nothing special to it.

#4 tiefanatic

tiefanatic

• Members
  • 914 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 04:03 PM

Nice job getting to 4-1, it sounds like a good list!

Imperial Peacekeepers: 2x Core, 2x TIE fighter, 2x TIE advanced, 1x Firespray-31, 2x TIE interceptor, 1x Imperial Aces, 1x shuttle, 1x TIE Bomber, 3x TIE defender, 4x TIE phantom. Rebel Scum: 2x Core, 1x X-wing, 5x Y-wing, 1x YT-1300, 5x A-wing, 1x HWK-290, 3x B-wing, 3x E-wing, 5x Z-95.    On order: 1x Tantive IV, 1x Rebel Aces, 2x VT-49 Decimators, 1x YT-2400

Ni su'cuyi, gar kyr'adyc, ni partayli, gar darasuum...Etain.

#5 kryzak

kryzak

• Members
  • 262 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:47 PM

great battle report.  I learned a lot.  That build is definitely a strong one and I need to figure out how to beat it (and the Han+C3PO + 2B wing list), haha.

#6 McBain

McBain

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 10:18 PM

great battle report.  I learned a lot.  That build is definitely a strong one and I need to figure out how to beat it (and the Han+C3PO + 2B wing list), haha.

Glad it helped and good luck!

#7 Kanos

Kanos

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 11:15 PM

As a relatively new player, this is one of the most helpful battle reports I've read. Thank you!

#8 McBain

McBain

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 11:27 PM

As a relatively new player, this is one of the most helpful battle reports I've read. Thank you!

Great stuff - First one I have written so I'm pleased it was helpful, thank you for the feeddback.

#9 BobbyM

BobbyM

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 11:29 PM

Thank you for the battle report!

I hope that this eases people's fears on how powerful the Phantoms are considering that you ate quite a few of them for breakfast!

#10 McBain

McBain

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 04:56 PM

I hope that this eases people's fears on how powerful the Phantoms are considering that you ate quite a few of them for breakfast!

I have to say I will be both surprised and impressed if a Phantom player can beat a Han Solo+Gunner/Luke+Engine sqaud.

I saw in the recent US Regional's that it happened and hats off to the Imperial player!

Edited by McBain, 15 July 2014 - 08:06 PM.

#11 kryzak

kryzak

• Members
  • 262 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 06:20 PM

I have to say I will be both surprised and impressed if a Phantom player can beat a Han Solo+Gunner/Luke+Engine sqaud.

I saw in the recent US Regional's that it happened and hats of to the Imperial player!

Oh really?  is there a battle report or video?  I just can't see a phantom beating a Han Solo souped up Falcon besides getting VERY lucky and having some help from his teammates. 

#12 Nickotine42

Nickotine42

• Members
  • 298 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 07:51 PM

Great report. If only I had the memory to recall all my moves and the opponent's as well. I'm hella curious as to the final build you faced.

So far

Biggs
+rd2d I would think

#13 McBain

McBain

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 08:15 PM

I saw in the recent US Regional's that it happened and hats of to the Imperial player!

Oh really?  is there a battle report or video?  I just can't see a phantom beating a Han Solo souped up Falcon besides getting VERY lucky and having some help from his teammates. 

MajorJuggler has an impressive data collection thread of 2014 Regional's results (amongst others). This has a small summary from D4rkt3mpl4r about his Whisper Squad beating a suped up Han Solo. Would have been a brilliant game to watch!

http://community.fan...results/page-27

• kryzak likes this

#14 kryzak

kryzak

• Members
  • 262 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 11:29 PM

Wow, totally agree.  I would pay to watch how Whisper did it!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS