Photo

Vassal: What do I need, how do I build lists?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 haslo

haslo

• Members
  • 582 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 02:26 AM

Hi all

There's these wonderful YouTube tutorials from xfactorpodcast, but they're over a year old - and I'm not sure which parts of it are still current.

What I did: Installed Vassal, downloaded the module v5.1.0, and the "all ships" archive. I was surprised to see that the ships were actually vlogs and not extensions - are the ships themselves now included in the main module?

I opened one of the vlogs, realized that it was made with the three map extensions from version 5.0.0 loaded, so I added these.

What I get when I open the vlogs are all the ships of that particular type, but without being able to do anything with them. If I just add ships to the playing surface in a regular game, I get the ships with all values set to 0.

Where do I go from here? Are the tutorials still current when it comes to squad building, finding games, actually playing? Do I need some other extensions? Is there a dedicated community forum where I can find fellow players? It's all a bit confusing to me...

Imperials: 13 TIE Fighter, 5 TIE Advanced, 15 TIE Interceptor, 4 Slave I, 6 TIE Bomber, 5 Lambda Shuttle, 3 TIE Defender, 4 TIE Phantom

Rebels: 1 Tantive IV, 1 Rebel Transport, 7 X-Wing, 5 Y-Wing, 4 YT-1300, 6 A-Wing, 5 B-Wing, 5 HWK-290, 6 Z-95, 3 E-Wing

#2 Forensicus

Forensicus

• Members
  • 492 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 02:39 AM

Are you online now?

2014 X-Wing Regional Champion (CPH, Denmark)

Fleet: 1 x [YT-1300] -  5 x [X-Wing] - 4 x [A-Wing] -2 x [Y-Wing] - 2 x [HWK-290] - 4 x [B-Wing] - 1 x [Transport] - 1 x [Tantive IV]: 2 x [Firespray-31] - 8 x [Tie Fighters] - 6 x [Tie Interceptor] - 3 x [Tie Advanced] - 3 x [TIE-Bomber] - 3 x [Lambda Shuttle]

"Hangars": BattleFoam P.A.C.K. 432 & P.A.C.K. 216 with custom & pluck foams "Battlefields": 3 x Gale Force 9 Mats

#3 haslo

haslo

• Members
  • 582 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 04:09 AM

Not really, no - only sporadically. It's my stay-at-home day today, and my wife is pregnant and here, too, so I only have three-minute slots of time every hour or so...

• oddeye likes this

Imperials: 13 TIE Fighter, 5 TIE Advanced, 15 TIE Interceptor, 4 Slave I, 6 TIE Bomber, 5 Lambda Shuttle, 3 TIE Defender, 4 TIE Phantom

Rebels: 1 Tantive IV, 1 Rebel Transport, 7 X-Wing, 5 Y-Wing, 4 YT-1300, 6 A-Wing, 5 B-Wing, 5 HWK-290, 6 Z-95, 3 E-Wing

#4 Veldrin

Veldrin

• Members
  • 325 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 04:58 AM

You need the lastest version of the X-Wing module, 5.0.5. Or 5.0.8 I believe.

Then there are tutorials on squad building (this part can be done offline). Even if they are old they are still good.

It comes down to putting everything in you squad on the board and the beginning and ending a logfile.

That logfile can you then load as a continuation in a game online and then drag everything into the player-hand you chose when joining/starting the game.

Empire: 11 TIE Fighters, 6 TIE Interceptors, 3 TIE Bombers, 2 Firesprays, 2 TIE Adv., 1 Lambda, 2 TIE Phantoms, and 2 TIE Defenders

Rebel Alliance: 6 X-Wings, 3 Y-Wings, 2 A-Wings, 2 B-Wings, 1 YT-1300, 1 HWK-290, 2 E-Wings, 4 Z-95s, and 1 GR-75 Transport

Have a look at my X-Wing blog over at TeamCovenant

#5 Forensicus

Forensicus

• Members
  • 492 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 05:31 AM

5.1.0 is the latest version. I have some kinks in regards to the start up of a new game but it might be related to it running on my Mac and I know how to work around it. So just PM me here and/or on Vassal and I'd gladly do a quick Skype guiding

2014 X-Wing Regional Champion (CPH, Denmark)

Fleet: 1 x [YT-1300] -  5 x [X-Wing] - 4 x [A-Wing] -2 x [Y-Wing] - 2 x [HWK-290] - 4 x [B-Wing] - 1 x [Transport] - 1 x [Tantive IV]: 2 x [Firespray-31] - 8 x [Tie Fighters] - 6 x [Tie Interceptor] - 3 x [Tie Advanced] - 3 x [TIE-Bomber] - 3 x [Lambda Shuttle]

"Hangars": BattleFoam P.A.C.K. 432 & P.A.C.K. 216 with custom & pluck foams "Battlefields": 3 x Gale Force 9 Mats

#6 haslo

haslo

• Members
  • 582 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 05:48 AM

That sounds awesome, thanks! I'll send you a PM in a few hours.

#7 EvilEd209

EvilEd209

• Members
  • 388 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 06:21 AM

I would recommend going here for a set by step guide from A Few Maneuvers:

http://s93768914.onlinehome.us/xwing/

Host
NOVA Squadron Radio
"Your home for competitive and tactical discussion on the X-Wing Miniatures Game" 
www.novasquadronradio.com

#8 Mu0n

Mu0n

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 07:27 AM

Hey. It's my guide, not really attached to any website in particular, but AFM were kind enough to offer to make a prominent link to it. 

If you do read it and find there are missing entries you wish were there, let me know, please.

I know I'll have to do some more for the Huge ships soon enough, once I release the x-wing vassal module v.5.1.2

• haslo, VanorDM and EvilEd209 like this

X[5]  Y[4]  A[5]  B[5]  H[3]  E[2]  Z[6]   YT-1300[2] GR-75 CR90

F[7]  A[2]  I[6]  B[5]  P[2]  D[3]  FS-31[2]  λ[2]

#9 EvilEd209

EvilEd209

• Members
  • 388 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 07:47 AM

I stand corrected... sorry Mu0n and thanks for all the hard work on Vassal!

You rock man!

Host
NOVA Squadron Radio
"Your home for competitive and tactical discussion on the X-Wing Miniatures Game" 
www.novasquadronradio.com

#10 oddeye

oddeye

• Members
  • 547 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:04 AM

Not really, no - only sporadically. It's my stay-at-home day today, and my wife is pregnant and here, too, so I only have three-minute slots of time every hour or so...

you are not alone brother! I too am fighting the good fight / with another 2 year old ankle biter in the mix. stay strong and just do as she says. =)

• haslo and EvilEd209 like this

I see your schwartz is as big as mine. Let's see how you handle it!

#11 Popn618

Popn618

• Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:11 AM

I would recommend going here for a set by step guide from A Few Maneuvers:http://s93768914.onlinehome.us/xwing/

Hey. It's my guide, not really attached to any website in particular, but AFM were kind enough to offer to make a prominent link to it. 

If you do read it and find there are missing entries you wish were there, let me know, please.
I know I'll have to do some more for the Huge ships soon enough, once I release the x-wing vassal module v.5.1.2

That's a cool how to, man. Thanks!

I had given up on vassal after being frustrated with it and I generally have people to play with in the "real world"

I'm definitely going to pick it back up
“It’s not impossible. I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back home, they’re not much bigger than two meters.”

#12 haslo

haslo

• Members
  • 582 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 12:19 PM

Thanks loads for that link! I think it might just be the thing that answers all my questions  :lol: I'll have a good read and then see whether there's still anything major that's unclear.

you are not alone brother! I too am fighting the good fight / with another 2 year old ankle biter in the mix. stay strong and just do as she says. =)

Heh, I forgot to mention the four year old that kept wanting to play LEGO with me  :D

#13 oddeye

oddeye

• Members
  • 547 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 12:27 PM

Thanks loads for that link! I think it might just be the thing that answers all my questions  :lol: I'll have a good read and then see whether there's still anything major that's unclear.

Heh, I forgot to mention the four year old that kept wanting to play LEGO with me  :D

at least you are playing with lego's... I'm still building thomas the train tracks.. sigh

Lego's i can stock up on star wars stuff. hehe

I see your schwartz is as big as mine. Let's see how you handle it!

#14 mrfroggies

mrfroggies

• Members
  • 461 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:58 PM

Were you able to get all set up?  Let me know if you need any help.  I'm happy to lend a virtual hand.

• haslo likes this

#15 haslo

haslo

• Members
  • 582 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 05:19 PM

Were you able to get all set up?  Let me know if you need any help.  I'm happy to lend a virtual hand.

Pretty much, yeah. Was able to add ships and move them and create and replay logs, with movement dials and everything. Now all I need is lots of time for actually playing  :D Thanks loads everybody for the kickstart!

Edited by haslo, 14 July 2014 - 05:20 PM.

• Mu0n likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS