Photo

Getting in to the game - used collections?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 StevenO

StevenO

• Members
  • 1,814 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 06:49 PM

You see collections on ebay but you really need to pay attention to what they are selling (you want them to be complete) but also the price.  I mean you may see someone trying to see a fighter for $40 but that is just plain stupid when you could buy that same fighter, new, for a $15 MSRP;  you may need to wait a little for restocking or look around but never pay an inflated price for figures for this game.

#22 Eltnot

Eltnot

• Members
  • 756 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 06:51 PM

eBay or Bartertown are likely places, but don't expect huge savings as the resale value is quite high.

Carpe Jugulum

Spoiler

#23 PhantomFO

PhantomFO

• Members
  • 406 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 08:12 PM

Guy at my venue apparently managed to score a lot with something like 3 starter sets, 4-5 large ships, and a few small ship expansions for around $100 off eBay.

REBEL: 3 X-Wings, 2 B-Wings, 1 Y-Wing, 1 A-Wing, 1 Z95 Headhunter, 1 YT-1300, 1 HWK-290

IMPERIAL: 5 TIE Fighters, 3 TIE Interceptors, 1 TIE Phantom 1 TIE Advanced, 1 Lambda, 1 Firespray

#24 Kaxel Vofer

Kaxel Vofer

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 10:00 PM

You could consider that, because maybe you want to get the new ships, it not so expensive and some store even have offers, maybe you could check in Miniaturemarket or Coolstuff, greettings.

"That the reward for you, don´t be so high".

Kaxel Vofer.

#25 jkokura

jkokura

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 10:17 AM

Thanks for the fun and the answers guys.

I live in Canada, so all of your suggestions are mitigated by shipping. StarlitCitadel in Canada is a good option, because they offer free shipping in Canada if you order more than $150, but I wondered if there was a decent market for used ships. Doesn't appear to be, but I'll keep looking.

Thanks again, and if anyone is interested in helping me out with getting into the game, I appreciate it.

Jacob

#26 Red Castle

Red Castle

• Members
  • 780 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 11:02 AM

If in Canada, I suggest this site

http://www.boardgamebliss.com/

prices are very good (12$CAD) and shipping is only 10$. 

I'm a french native player so sometimes, some expressions or meanings might be lost in translation. I mean no disrespect.

#27 Mikael Hasselstein

Mikael Hasselstein

• Members
  • 1,264 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 11:29 AM

I've been able to buy miniatures at half price on a couple of occasions due to people getting out of the game. I didn't inquire where they had left their minds, but they do exist.

I found mine (or, they found me) by way of my local X-Wing Facebook group. It's worthwhile to be connected to your local network, to the extent that you have one where you are. It also helps to keep your ear to the ground, because people selling off their collections tend to do so rapidly.

The first guy I bought the collection from had the entrepreneurship to buy another guy's whole collection (as said person was selling it as a package), and then the guy I bought from sold off individual ships after having taken out of the collection what he wanted.

#28 EvilEd209

EvilEd209

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 12:17 PM

I hate to be the one to say it like this, however here we go...

The resale value of this game is very high, which is good!  It means the game is good, popular, and a lot of people want it.  It also means that you really can't buy the ships for much of a discount, 20% is the best I have seen online really. 

With that being said, how much, after paying for shipping, are you really saving by buying them from places online?

If you have a local store who has its doors open to gamers and throws events/game days and has game tables available to you, then throw your support (and your cash) in their direction.  Most of those places offer a discounts as well, you get the stuff that day, and the instant gratification of having your stuff in hand.

If you do not have a local store that supports X-Wing, then go for one of the discount mini sites with free shipping over X amount.  You save about the same amount, get everything NEW and complete.

My two cents worth... 

Host
NOVA Squadron Radio
"Your home for competitive and tactical discussion on the X-Wing Miniatures Game" 
www.novasquadronradio.com

#29 jkokura

jkokura

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 12:35 PM

I really appreciate the suggestions, especially for the Canadian site. The Local shop suggestion is bang on except...

I don't have a local shop. Otherwise this would be a no brainer. The closest shop is at least 3 hours away, and I'm not sure that they'll even have much in stock, so the trip is pretty much unlikely.

The local guys I know who play all order online.

Jacob

• EvilEd209 likes this

#30 WonderWAAAGH

WonderWAAAGH

Oasean Ork

• Members
  • 2,721 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 12:37 PM

Sounds like there's an open market just waiting to be filled by some enterprising local individual.

• muirman and EvilEd209 like this

A study in scarlet letters.

#31 EvilEd209

EvilEd209

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 12:37 PM

Well in that case you really do not have any choice but to order online.  I would find a site that offers the 20% discount and free shipping and buy it all new.

Get at least 1 starter set, probably 2. 

Host
NOVA Squadron Radio
"Your home for competitive and tactical discussion on the X-Wing Miniatures Game" 
www.novasquadronradio.com

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS