The New TIE Swarm

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 What

What

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:25 AM

Call me crazy, but I'm actually working on a Tie Swarm with a TIE Advanced in it. Black Squadron, go!

Darth Vader, Proton Rockets, Swarm Tactics

Mauler Mithel, Veteran Instincts

BSP, Swarm Tactics

Backstabber

Dark Curse

It's only 5, which I am not pleased with, but it shoots at PS 9, 9, 9, 9, 6 which I really like. Enough firepower to drop a falcon, enough firepower + PS to drop a phantom.. less vulnerable to assault missile.

Rebel: A-Wing x2, B-Wing x1, E-Wing, HWK-290, X-Wing x4, YT-3000, Y-Wing x2, Z-95 x2, GR-75, CR90
Imp: TIE x6, Advanced x1, Interceptor x4, Bomber x2, Lambda, Firespray, Phantom, Defender x2

#22 jpltanis

jpltanis

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:50 AM

The TIE Swarm has more TIEs, 8 is the magical number, others are good squads but not TIE Swarms, greetings

Just want to give a definition of a swarm -  In 100pt game, a swarm is 5 or more ships of the same type.   Thus, it is possible to have a swarm with some other ship types (depending on the point values of the swarm ships).

#23 Aminar

Aminar

• Members
  • 3,110 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 10:12 AM

The TIE Swarm has more TIEs, 8 is the magical number, others are good squads but not TIE Swarms, greetings

Just want to give a definition of a swarm -  In 100pt game, a swarm is 5 or more ships of the same type.   Thus, it is possible to have a swarm with some other ship types (depending on the point values of the swarm ships).
Nah. A swarm is when you have a large number of small ships on the squad. It doesn't have to all be the same. I mean, 3 As and 4 Zs is certainly a swarm. 5 Bounty Hunters in Epic is not.
  • oddeye likes this

#24 Red Castle

Red Castle

• Members
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 10:36 AM

Call me crazy, but I'm actually working on a Tie Swarm with a TIE Advanced in it. Black Squadron, go!

Darth Vader, Proton Rockets, Swarm Tactics

Mauler Mithel, Veteran Instincts

BSP, Swarm Tactics

Backstabber

Dark Curse

It's only 5, which I am not pleased with, but it shoots at PS 9, 9, 9, 9, 6 which I really like. Enough firepower to drop a falcon, enough firepower + PS to drop a phantom.. less vulnerable to assault missile.

I use a very similar build:

Vader with Outmaneuver and Engine Upgrade

Mauler Mithel with Veteran Instinct

Backstabber

Darkcurse

Black Squadron Pilot

Not a top list, but fun to play and thematic.

I'm a french native player so sometimes, some expressions or meanings might be lost in translation. I mean no disrespect.

#25 jpltanis

jpltanis

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 12:43 PM

Nah. A swarm is when you have a large number of small ships on the squad. It doesn't have to all be the same. I mean, 3 As and 4 Zs is certainly a swarm. 5 Bounty Hunters in Epic is not.

That sounds fair, with the exception of "large number".   That is just too subjective. 

Might we say this - A swarm for a 100pt squad consists of 6 or more small ships of the same fraction, regardless of ship type.

Edited by jpltanis, 14 July 2014 - 12:43 PM.

#26 Aminar

Aminar

• Members
  • 3,110 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 12:46 PM

That sounds fair, with the exception of "large number".   That is just too subjective. 

Might we say this - A swarm for a 100pt squad consists of 6 or more small ships of the same fraction, regardless of ship type.
Nah. 5 X-Wings would be a Swarm too(Hell, 4 Phantoms feels like a swarm of very large hornets). It's a playstyle thing more than anything else.

#27 jpltanis

jpltanis

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 12:56 PM

Nah. 5 X-Wings would be a Swarm too(Hell, 4 Phantoms feels like a swarm of very large hornets). It's a playstyle thing more than anything else.

So by your definition 2 small ships can be considered a swarm, because my playing style says it is....

#28 Crabbok

Crabbok

The Doctor

• Members
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:10 PM

As far as the game goes, I have always considered a swarm to be 5 or more ships.  even if different types.  

I played a guy with 2 X's, 2 Y's, and a B.  It was certainly Swarmy.  Doesn't have to all me the same ship, but if it IS the same ship, you distinguish it by calling it a "Shiptype" Swarm, IE a TIE Swarm, or a Z-95 Swarm.  

#29 Joe Boss Red Seven

Joe Boss Red Seven

The Laughing Warrior

• Members
  • 3,030 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:14 PM

As far as the game goes, I have always considered a swarm to be 5 or more ships.  even if different types.  

I played a guy with 2 X's, 2 Y's, and a B.  It was certainly Swarmy.  Doesn't have to all me the same ship, but if it IS the same ship, you distinguish it by calling it a "Shiptype" Swarm, IE a TIE Swarm, or a Z-95 Swarm.  

That is a nice way of looking at it. I agree with you.

"There Is No Such Thing As Luck." BLACK SIX RED SEVEN

STAR WARS is far more than three thirty year old films. FFG intends for X-Wing to thrive, thus it will be more also... PERIOD.

ALLIANCE: [A-WING: 4][B-WING: 4][E-WING: 3][HWK-290: 1][X-WING: 6][Y-WING: 5][Z-95: 6][YT-1300: 1][YT-2400: 1] EMPIRE: [TIE ADVANCED: 1][TIE BOMBER: 3][TIE DEFENDER: 3][TIE FIGHTER: 6][TIE INTERCEPTOR: 6][TIE PHANTOM: 3][VT-49: 1][LAMBDA: 1] SCUM: [FIRESPRAY-31: 1][HWK-290: 3][IG-2000: ][M3-A: ][STAR VIPER: ][Y-WING: 1][Z-95: 1]

#30 Aminar

Aminar

• Members
  • 3,110 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:23 PM

So by your definition 2 small ships can be considered a swarm, because my playing style says it is....

If they feel like their everywhere at once, then sure. Your search for a definition to a flexible term is futile.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS