The New TIE Swarm

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Crabbok

Crabbok

• Members
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 03:17 PM

I may have just found the new way to fly a TIE swarm.

3x Black Squadron + Predator + Stealth Device

2x Black Squadron + Outmaneuver + Hull upgrade

I set up the 3 predators in the middle with the Outamnuever's on the sides, I don't have to fly them in formation - thus not really at a terrible risk from a Z-95 Assault Missile swarm, and at PS 4 they are likely to fire before alot of swarms.  

The best part about this, for me, is that the TIE has a really nice dial, but when you are flying in formation, alot of the maneuvers are difficult to perform in tight quarters.  This way you essentially have 5 ships that each feel like a "Named" pilot due to their upgrades, and you can keep them far enough apart so that you can really take advantage of their dial.   

I'm gonna have to fly this again.  probably gonna be one of my favorite builds. 

• KommanderKeldoth, AdmiralThrawn and EvilEd209 like this

#2 nikk whyte

nikk whyte

• Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 03:21 PM

I've yet to play against a true swarm. I beat a 6 ship rebel list with the 3 available turreted rebels. Easy picking too.

Current fleet:
Rebel: x-wing, y-wing, HWK-290, yt-1300, e-wing, z-95

Imperial: 2 tie fighters, 2 interceptors, tie phantom, tie advanced, firespray

#3 Joe Boss Red Seven

Joe Boss Red Seven

• Members
  • 2,366 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 03:24 PM

Yeah it sounds good Crabbie.

I understand why people have done the whole tight formation TIE Swarm deal... but do not think it is the best way to go, certainly not now with the new Headhunter and the new upgrade cards in the Wave Four ships.

"There Is No Such Thing As Luck." BLACK SIX RED SEVEN

STAR WARS is far more than three thirty year old films. FFG intends for X-Wing to thrive, thus it will be more also... PERIOD.

^_^ BLACK...  :D SUN... :lol: RISES!!!
ALLIANCE: [A-WING: 3][B-WING: 3][E-WING: 3][HWK-290: 2][X-WING: 6][Y-WING: 6][Z-95: 6][YT-1300: 1] EMPIRE: [TIE ADVANCED: 1][TIE BOMBER: 3][TIE DEFENDER: 3][TIE FIGHTER: 5][TIE INTERCEPTOR: 6][TIE PHANTOM: 3][FIRESPRAY-31: 1][SHUTTLE-LAMBDA: 1] SCUM: [FIRESPRAY-31: 1][HWK-290: 2][IG-2000: ][M3-A: ][STAR VIPER: ][Y-WING: ][Z-95: ]

#4 oddeye

oddeye

• Members
  • 546 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 09:06 PM

Ive been thinkin of something similar. 

2x bs w outmaneuver

2x bs w opportunist

2x bs w draw their fire

Ive also thought of dropping opportunists for predator..

Anyways fly them in 2 groups of 3 with one of each type. Since your all at ps 4 you can have the one w dtf shoot, than the one with outmaneuver fire, good chance to strip off tokens for the bs w opportunist.

I see your schwartz is as big as mine. Let's see how you handle it!

#5 Crabbok

Crabbok

• Members
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 09:08 PM

Predator seems awfully better than opportunist.  Especially since you will always be able to use it.  

One thing though, is that it boils down to how many defenders you want to buy.  I have only 3, and plan to buy zero more, so 5x predator isn't really an option.  

• oddeye likes this

#6 Kaxel Vofer

Kaxel Vofer

• Members
  • 631 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 09:45 PM

The TIE Swarm has more TIEs, 8 is the magical number, others are good squads but not TIE Swarms, greettings

"That the reward for you, don´t be so high".

Kaxel Vofer.

#7 Magnus Grendel

Magnus Grendel

• Members
  • 1,334 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 02:05 AM

Sounds good. Similar to what I've been looking at.

My one observation - whilst outmanouvre is good, I would swap at least one of the outmanouvre TIEs for Backstabber. - his ability is essentially the same but slightly better (attack die >evade die, hence adding an attack die > removing an evade die) and he's cheaper and higher Pilot skill.

• AlexW, stegocent, oddeye and 1 other like this

#8 Sergovan

Sergovan

• Members
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 03:46 AM

You will need 1 or 2 A.P.'s to help with blocking. Action denial and locking your opponents ships, that you want to target, into position are a big part of a Swarm's tactics (pun intended). :)

Rebels: 5 X-Wing, 4 Y-Wing, 4 A-Wing, 2 Yt-1300, 3 B-wing, 3 HWK-290, 3 Z-95, 1 E-wing, 1 CR 75

Empire: 6 Tie Fighters, 6 Tie Interceptors (1- 181st, 1- RG), 2 Tie Advanced, 2 Firesprays, 4 Tie Bombers,

2 Lambda, 1 Tie Phantom, 1 Defender

Tournament results: (S)11 of 11; (S)3 of 11;(AoIA)2 of 3; ®12 of 28

#9 Red Castle

Red Castle

• Members
  • 832 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 05:48 AM

The TIE Swarm has more TIEs, 8 is the magical number, others are good squads but not TIE Swarms, greettings

Magical number is 7, You want Howlrunner in there.

• haslo, quasistellar, EvilEd209 and 2 others like this

I'm a french native player so sometimes, some expressions or meanings might be lost in translation. I mean no disrespect.

#10 Crabbok

Crabbok

• Members
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 06:17 AM

I'm fully aware of how many ships are part of a TIE Swarm, but my point is that the Z-95 has really shaken up the meta.   There has been some discussion on weather or not the TIE Swarm that we all know and love is going to survive.   Since you can now have 5 assault missiles in the alpha strike, the old style of flying howlrunner + 6 other TIE's in formation is going to have to evolve if it is to survive.   

This is what I expect it will evolve into.   Less ships, but each can be flown independently, doesn't need to be in "formation", and harder to kill.  I'm not saying that 5 ships is the swarm you used to know.... but now with wave 4, super expensive ships, and so many competitive builds having only 3 ships... I'm saying that 5 ships may be the swarm of tomorrow.  

#11 Englishpete

Englishpete

• Members
  • 1,791 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 06:27 AM

Hey Crabbok. I like the intent of this list and don't think it needs any real tweaks. My only change would be to go all Stealth Device, but if you don't have the cards needed this is solid enough.

I totally agree with you on not needing formation flying with this list and I would probably fly a 2 and 3 group initially then split up as tactics and battle require.

Let us know how she flies for you.

• oddeye likes this

To every man upon this Earth Death cometh soon or late. And how can a man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers, and the temples of his Gods?
(Horatius: Captain of the Gate)

#12 oddeye

oddeye

• Members
  • 546 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 06:30 AM

My one observation - whilst outmanouvre is good, I would swap at least one of the outmanouvre TIEs for Backstabber. - his ability is essentially the same but slightly better (attack die >evade die, hence adding an attack die > removing an evade die) and he's cheaper and higher Pilot skill.

Hmm good point. Ill swap him in, funny thing  there was another thread on this few days ago .. didnt occur to me haha.

Yes I only have 2 predators and 3 outmneuvers and 2 opportunists to work with.

#13 Crabbok

Crabbok

• Members
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 06:38 AM

Hmm good point. Ill swap him in, funny thing  there was another thread on this few days ago .. didnt occur to me haha.

If you have 3 outmaneuvers, you PROBABLY have 3 Predators also.   Don't they both come with the Defender?  

Hey Crabbok. I like the intent of this list and don't think it needs any real tweaks. My only change would be to go all Stealth Device, but if you don't have the cards needed this is solid enough.

I totally agree with you on not needing formation flying with this list and I would probably fly a 2 and 3 group initially then split up as tactics and battle require.

Let us know how she flies for you.

Problem is I've only 2 Slaves, so I don't have the 5 required Stealth Devices, otherwise I probably would.  I agree that would probably be an improvement. 

#14 Red Castle

Red Castle

• Members
  • 832 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 06:39 AM

I'm fully aware of how many ships are part of a TIE Swarm, but my point is that the Z-95 has really shaken up the meta.   There has been some discussion on weather or not the TIE Swarm that we all know and love is going to survive.   Since you can now have 5 assault missiles in the alpha strike, the old style of flying howlrunner + 6 other TIE's in formation is going to have to evolve if it is to survive.   

This is what I expect it will evolve into.   Less ships, but each can be flown independently, doesn't need to be in "formation", and harder to kill.  I'm not saying that 5 ships is the swarm you used to know.... but now with wave 4, super expensive ships, and so many competitive builds having only 3 ships... I'm saying that 5 ships may be the swarm of tomorrow.  

I know you have a lot of experience with the game and know what is considered a swarm and what not. I was replying to Kaxel and the fact that he seems to consider a 8 Tie Fighter team the best swarm there is, which I think is just not true. While 7 is the more frequent build I saw, I've seen a lot of Tie Swarm having a lot of success with 6 pilots (the 6 named team come to mind).

Regarding your team, I'm not too sure about the Hull Upgrade and Stealth Device on every ship. If I was to try it, I would probably drop them in favor of one more Black Squadron Pilot with either a 1 point EPT (Draw their Fire?) or a 1 point Initiative bid. 5 Tie does start to seems a little low on the number.

I'm a french native player so sometimes, some expressions or meanings might be lost in translation. I mean no disrespect.

#15 Crabbok

Crabbok

• Members
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 06:43 AM

It does and I totally get that.  I almost did that myself.  

This might be 2 of the variation s of the "new" swarm.   5 bulkier TIEs, or 6 TIEs with EPT.  

• oddeye likes this

#16 Aminar

Aminar

• Members
  • 3,089 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 06:44 AM

I don't see 5 ties having enough firepower. I can fit 5 ties on a list with a decked out Whisper. This has 30 points in upgrade cards. That's way way too many.
  • JJFDVORAK likes this

#17 oddeye

oddeye

• Members
  • 546 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 07:16 AM

If you have 3 outmaneuvers, you PROBABLY have 3 Predators also.   Don't they both come with the Defender?  

You'd think so. Actually outmaneuver comes with the E-wing as well. I have 2 preds from defender and 3 outs from 1 e wing and 2 defenders. Too bad predator doesn't come with the e-wing.. it's the odd part of this game, alot of upgrades i have odd numbers of. Like draw their fire for example, i just realized I only have one (it came with the boxed set or falcon.. both i only have one of). I'll probably have to go with veteran instincts or determination on my last two BS.

I don't see 5 ties having enough firepower. I can fit 5 ties on a list with a decked out Whisper. This has 30 points in upgrade cards. That's way way too many.

I agree 5 doesn't seem like alot, thats why i'm squeezing in 6 BS. I will say though I'm not taking mine to a tourny / just having some fun games with it. You never know, 6 BS all with good abilities might work out well. I know 8 ties is what really pushes the game mechanics to the limit though.

#18 Red Castle

Red Castle

• Members
  • 832 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 07:29 AM

Okay, I've been thinking about it. How about:

Backstabber
Dark Curse
Black Squadron with Outmaneuver
Black Squadron with Predator x3
  • oddeye, berusplants, Aminar and 1 other like this

#19 Aminar

Aminar

• Members
  • 3,089 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 07:37 AM

Backstabber
Dark Curse

I like this better.  Ignoring the amazing named Ties out there is a mistake.

Given what I own I'd probably swap out and have One Outmanuever, 1 Draw their fire, 1 Predator, add Night Beast, and put a stealth device on Dark Curse with the extra point.

• oddeye and Hobojebus like this

#20 Crabbok

Crabbok

• Members
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:00 AM

Backstabber
Dark Curse

Quite a possibility.   One extra ship - none of them feel too basic.  All can still function alone.  

• berusplants likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS