How do you defeat Phantoms?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Viceroy Bolda

Viceroy Bolda

• Members
  • 846 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 03:00 PM

I played a 150 pt. list yesterday and had great succcess, so I thought I'd share. 

I played a GR45, Horton, Dutch and 2x Gold Squadron Pilots.  All y-wings had ion turret.  Added some Flechette Torps. 

I stressed the heck out of the Phantom with the GR45's Jam action and the y-wing's torps so he couldn't recloak, and ioned him so I knew where to aim next round. 

• Joe Boss Red Seven and admat like this

Bulldog

"What's 'e going to do?  Nibble my bum?"

#2 WonderWAAAGH

WonderWAAAGH

Oasean Ork

• Members
  • 3,346 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 03:01 PM

Phantoms aren't really that difficult to kill in epic play.

FFG über alles!

#3 Krynn007

Krynn007

Shinigami

• Members
  • 1,248 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 04:26 PM

Jam action ftw.
  • admat likes this
Rebels4 xwing, 2 awings, 2 bwings,1 ywing, 1 Falcon, 1hwk, 1 ewing, 2 z95,1 reb aces, 1 transport, 1 Tantive,
Imperials
6 tie/ft, 2 squints, 1 aces, 4 bombers, 1 tie adv, 1 shuttle, 2 Firespray, 2 phantom, 1 tie defender

#4 Shinren

Shinren

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 04:28 PM

Z-95. A lot of them. Lt Blount with Ion pulse missiles (auto hit, so auto ion token) then a lot of Z-95 with cluster missiles. TRIED: good response.

Y-Wing with ion cannon turret. One or (better) 2 of them (you'll be able to shoot all around you at range 2).

A swarm list (covering a wide area).

High PS Pilots (Wedge and Wes for X-Wing for example, better if equipped with veteran instinct, so you'll move after your opponent).TRIED: good response.

Millennium falcon (360 degrees firing arc).

Just my opinion !!

• EvilEd209 and gundamv like this

Eugenio - Alessandria, ITALY

#5 Geoffy

Geoffy

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 04:29 PM

Turrets. Use liberally for best results.
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid"

#6 MacrossVF1

MacrossVF1

• Members
  • 330 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 04:32 PM

The most natural Phantom hunter I've encountered is Han Solo in his Falcon. He doesn't even need to be upgraded, he just blasts Phantoms put of space with frightening ease.

The Alternative Wargamer: http://alternativewa...er.blogspot.se/

Repaints and scratchbuilds: http://alternativewa...ar Wars: X-wing

#7 Audio Weasel

Audio Weasel

• Members
  • 742 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 04:32 PM

Jam the spaceways with 4 shuttles.....

That suddenly makes me VERY curious about the point cost of the lower PS YT-2400's

• X Wing Nut likes this

Current Fleet:

Rebel: 4 A-Wings, 4 B-Wings, 2 HWK-290's, 3 YT-1300s, 4 X-Wings, 2 Y-Wing, 1 Tantive IV, 1 Rebel Transport, 4 E-Wing, 7 Z-95, 2 Rebel Aces 

Imperial:  3 Lambda Shuttles,  2 Firespray-31's, 3 Tie Advanced, 4 Tie Bombers, 6 Tie Fighters, 2 Tie Interceptors,   2 Imperials Aces, 4 TIE Phantom, 4 TIE Defender

On Pre-order:2 YT-2400, 2 Decimator, 2 IG-2000, 4 Starviper, 4 Scik Interceptor, 2 Most Wanted

#8 t7thunders

t7thunders

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 04:42 PM

I don't even bother with them anymore.

I just call 1-800-ghostbusters.

Ask for Ray, tell them 7 thunders sent ya ;)
  • Viceroy Bolda and Shinren like this

#9 Red Castle

Red Castle

• Members
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 04:52 PM

Ray... is he a God?

• Viceroy Bolda, Audio Weasel and BonusJoe like this

I'm a french native player so sometimes, some expressions or meanings might be lost in translation. I mean no disrespect.

#10 Captain Lackwit

Captain Lackwit

HWK Pilot

• Members
  • 1,725 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 05:26 PM

One would assume turrets, missiles with AoE, and for kicks, ion stuff.

So use ion missiles, Assault/flechette missiles, a Y-Wing/Ion, Kyle/Blaster, and have fun.

"There's got to be a better way to make a living..." -Kyle Katarn
Resident HWK-290 Enthusiast, Trainee pilot. _\.o./_
Kills: |o| |o| |o| {o} {o} (o) >o<

#11 Joe Boss Red Seven

Joe Boss Red Seven

The Laughing Warrior

• Members
  • 2,638 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 06:22 PM

I played a 150 pt. list yesterday and had great succcess, so I thought I'd share. 

I played a GR45, Horton, Dutch and 2x Gold Squadron Pilots.  All y-wings had ion turret.  Added some Flechette Torps. 

I stressed the heck out of the Phantom with the GR45's Jam action and the y-wing's torps so he couldn't recloak, and ioned him so I knew where to aim next round. 

I just love you man... we are brothers separated at birth I think.

:lol:

• Viceroy Bolda likes this

"There Is No Such Thing As Luck." BLACK SIX RED SEVEN

STAR WARS is far more than three thirty year old films. FFG intends for X-Wing to thrive, thus it will be more also... PERIOD.

ALLIANCE: [A-WING: 3][B-WING: 3][E-WING: 3][HWK-290: 2][X-WING: 6][Y-WING: 5][Z-95: 6][YT-1300: 1][YT-2400: ] EMPIRE: [TIE ADVANCED: 1][TIE BOMBER: 3][TIE DEFENDER: 3][TIE FIGHTER: 5][TIE INTERCEPTOR: 6][TIE PHANTOM: 3][DECIMATOR: ][FIRESPRAY-31: ][SHUTTLE-LAMBDA: 1] SCUM: [FIRESPRAY-31: 1][HWK-290: 3][IG-2000: ][M3-A: ][STAR VIPER: ][Y-WING: 1][Z-95: ]

#12 Viceroy Bolda

Viceroy Bolda

• Members
  • 846 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 07:46 PM

Ray... is he a God?

Say "Yes."

• Red Castle likes this

Bulldog

"What's 'e going to do?  Nibble my bum?"

#13 born to lose

born to lose

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 07:52 PM

PS9+, bid for intiative, build around stress creation, gg!

#14 TallTonyB

TallTonyB

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 10:53 PM

I find shooting them works well, then if it doesn't kill them, I just shoot them again during the end phase.

Give a man fire he is warm for a day, set him on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

#15 BonusJoe

BonusJoe

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 11:05 PM

Han.Always.Shoots.First.

#16 s1n

s1n

• Members
  • 381 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 11:10 PM

<sarcasm>

Bring a hammer. When your opponent declares his attack on you, pull out the hammer and smash it. They'll be disqualified for not having a ship on the table at that point.

</sarcasm>

• BonusJoe likes this

#17 Rakky Wistol

Rakky Wistol

The Grey

• Members
  • 2,644 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:09 AM

Convince your opponent that ACD+VI is broken and will be banned so he should instead play with Stygian...You can at least kill them but they are still really hard to kill. 

#18 Lagomorphia

Lagomorphia

• Validating
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:34 AM

FFG are hardly going to ban one of their best bits of game design.

Phantoms are a menace to low-PS squads. Throw in someone with higher pilot skill, someone who can give out stress, especially doublestress (it can't cloak if stressed), or take Roark. He doesn't cost much and lets you shoot phantoms with their trousers down.

• Danath likes this

#19 Magnus Grendel

Magnus Grendel

The Empire Needs You!

• Members
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:46 AM

Area effects aren't so great because phantoms are agile and in low numbers - they'll rarely be in close quarters of one another.

Things that phantoms hate:

1. High Pilot Skill pilots (6+) that shoot before they recloak (and/or swarm tactics, Roark Garnet, Decoy, and other ways to boost pilot skill) and force them to move before they see where you're going.
  2. Large squads of 5+ ships that can block their movement options and cover all possible arcs of fire.
  3. Turreted weapons without a blind spot to hide in.
  4. Anything which reliably causes stress at long range (flechette torpedoes, Kath Scarlett with Marksmanship, Tacticians). As long as they do a green manouvre next turn they're okay, unless you can hit them before they cloak. 
  5. Having to koiogran turn. This leaves them stressed - which means no free cloak actions. Note that, Echo aside, no amount of decloaking shennanigans allows a phantom to face backwards from its starting position - a fast 4-5 koiogran will overshoot their position and be far enough back to hopefully stop them sideslipping out of arc.
  6. Being denied a shot. If a phantom decloaks because it expects to get a shot and the enemy manages to sabre-dance out of arc without giving them that shot (Turr Phenir, for example), they're in trouble. Not just because there's no damage inflicted, but also because there's no possibility of recloaking with Advanced cloaking device.

If you've got one or more of the above, you should have a chance with a bit of luck, but the more the better.

• Flamestalker likes this

#20 Marinealver

Marinealver

• Members
  • 851 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 02:19 AM

They don't like stress, Flechete torpedoes can add stress even if it doesn't hit. Add R3-A2 and you can stack on stress tokens.

I tried Ten Numb with Autoblasters which essentially removes all defense dice. Only problem is that you have to get range 1 and you only get 3 dice and it is high on the point cost.

You can always start another round if you lost the last one.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS