What's the word on the Tie Advanced?

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#101 Sithborg

Sithborg

• Members
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 10:46 PM

It's getting a reprint. So, obviously the stock is being sold.

#102 Magnus Grendel

Magnus Grendel

• Members
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 01:27 AM

My money is on them releasing new TIE-Advanced pilots and upgrades like the did with the X-Wings, in the Imperial huge ships. 

Such an idea surely will happen!   

I really hope not. The TIE Advanced was not a mass-production model. While in-universe aspects should not dictate all aspects of the game to the expense of playability, I do think that it should try to respect it where it can.

Leave the TIE Advanced as it is. It should remain rare.

1. I should point out here that a lot of X-wing (Obsidian Squadron, Howlrunner, the VT-49, Royal Guard TIE interceptors being massively upgraded, etc, etc) is drawn from the old Star Wars Galaxies game. TIE advanced/avengers were a massive part of that game (Storm Squadron, the unit you first sign on with and get your pilot training from) were an advanced-equipped squadron, for example. The reason for this, of course, is that in a multi-planet MMORPG, a hyperspace-capable fighter is important, and the Advanced is the most 'basic' hyperspace capable TIE; essentially an imperial X-wing.
  2. The TIE advanced and TIE avenger have been 'mashed together' in this game by FFG - in the same way that the defender is now a speed daemon but can't turn at slow speeds (to give it a weakness). Maarek Stele is famous for (i.e. you spend a lot of the archetypical missions in) a TIE avenger rather than a 'classic' advanced; including several where you have to take on a traitor admiral's TIE defenders.
  3. I agree that there's no design space for the TIE avenger as a completely seperate ship. I wouldn't object to a TIE avenger title or modification card for the Advanced, and this could be supported by a new model (a sort of 'physical repaint')
  4. To be fair, at one point in the canon there were only ever six Firespray-31s built, and fett blew up the other five after stealing Slave 1. This got changed.

#103 Funkleton

Funkleton

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 03:01 AM

Some speculate a future Battle of Yavin package that includes a Y-Wing and TIE-Advanced repaints, upgrade cards, and a cost fix card like the Chaardan Retrofit (-2 cost but takes the missile slot, A-Wing only) that will come with the Rebel Aces pack this quarter. However, this may be nothing more than wishful thinking. There's been no official announcement to suggest a Battle of Yavin pack or TIE Advanced repaint is on the way.

I guess the best option on that score would be to make sure that FFG realise that there is strong demand for a set like that.

It would make a great initial purchase along with a base set - get all the ships present at the most iconic battle of the films, in two neat boxes - with a bunch of added thematic missions - for around £50. What an absolute bargain!

FFG - if you're listening, I'd buy at LEAST two Battle of Yavin sets should you ever decide to release it.

The Judean People's Front:

4 X-Wings, 2 Y-Wings, 1 YT-1300, 2 A-Wings, 3 B-Wings, 2 E-Wings, 4 Z-95 Headhunters, 1 HWK 290, 1 GR-75 Medium Transport, 1 CR-90 Corvette

The People's Front of Judea:

5 TIEs, 1 TIE Advanced, 3 TIE Interceptors, 3 TIE Bombers, 2 TIE Defenders, 1 TIE Phantom, 1 Lambda Class Shuttle, 1 Firespray 31

#104 Mikael Hasselstein

Mikael Hasselstein

• Members
  • 769 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 03:10 AM

1. I should point out here that a lot of X-wing (Obsidian Squadron, Howlrunner, the VT-49, Royal Guard TIE interceptors being massively upgraded, etc, etc) is drawn from the old Star Wars Galaxies game. TIE advanced/avengers were a massive part of that game (Storm Squadron, the unit you first sign on with and get your pilot training from) were an advanced-equipped squadron, for example. The reason for this, of course, is that in a multi-planet MMORPG, a hyperspace-capable fighter is important, and the Advanced is the most 'basic' hyperspace capable TIE; essentially an imperial X-wing.
  2. The TIE advanced and TIE avenger have been 'mashed together' in this game by FFG - in the same way that the defender is now a speed daemon but can't turn at slow speeds (to give it a weakness). Maarek Stele is famous for (i.e. you spend a lot of the archetypical missions in) a TIE avenger rather than a 'classic' advanced; including several where you have to take on a traitor admiral's TIE defenders.
  3. I agree that there's no design space for the TIE avenger as a completely seperate ship. I wouldn't object to a TIE avenger title or modification card for the Advanced, and this could be supported by a new model (a sort of 'physical repaint')
  4. To be fair, at one point in the canon there were only ever six Firespray-31s built, and fett blew up the other five after stealing Slave 1. This got changed.

Okay.

Yes, it's becoming quite clear that people who played the video games got their canon respected, whereas other sources are not treated as being as valuable by FFG. While I can see where that might be a wise decision from the perspective of attracting the largest audience, I really wonder if all of it is wise in terms of coherent gameworld development.

I've got aggravated thoughts about this, but it's too late for me to vent. It's also somewhat useless to do so.

#105 Joe Boss Red Seven

Joe Boss Red Seven

• Members
  • 1,644 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 03:15 AM

The advanced is what it is.

A shelf ornament?

:mellow:

Boo, Hiss, Boo!

"There Is No Such Thing As Luck." BLACK SIX RED SEVEN

ALLIANCE: [A-WING: 3] [B-WING: 3] [E-WING: 3] [HWK-290: 2] [X-WING: 6] [Y-WING: 6] [Z-95: 6] [YT-1300: 1] *EPIC* [TANTIVE IV: 1] [GR-75: 2*GROUND FORCES* [T-47 AIR SPEEDER: 11] JEDI: [DELTA-7: 1] [ETA-2: 4] EMPIRE: [TIE ADVANCED: 1] [TIE BOMBER: 3] [TIE DEFENDER: 3] [TIE FIGHTER: 5] [TIE INTERCEPTOR: 6] [TIE PHANTOM: 3] [FIRESPRAY-31: 1] [SHUTTLE-LAMBDA: 1] *GROUND FORCES* [AT-AT: 4] [AT-ST: 6] SITH: [ETA-2: 3] [INFILTRATOR: 1] [INTIMIDATOR: 1]

#106 Joe Boss Red Seven

Joe Boss Red Seven

• Members
  • 1,644 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 03:17 AM

I think they could use the advanced as an Avenger. Perhaps the repaint has a slightly altered body shape. No more odd then all the painted squints being able to be used as Royal Guard Ties.

I'm sure they will do something novel with it, they've done well enough so far, have some faith wingers. One day, we will sign on and not see a " How do we fix the Advanced ? " post.

Like...

:)

"There Is No Such Thing As Luck." BLACK SIX RED SEVEN

ALLIANCE: [A-WING: 3] [B-WING: 3] [E-WING: 3] [HWK-290: 2] [X-WING: 6] [Y-WING: 6] [Z-95: 6] [YT-1300: 1] *EPIC* [TANTIVE IV: 1] [GR-75: 2*GROUND FORCES* [T-47 AIR SPEEDER: 11] JEDI: [DELTA-7: 1] [ETA-2: 4] EMPIRE: [TIE ADVANCED: 1] [TIE BOMBER: 3] [TIE DEFENDER: 3] [TIE FIGHTER: 5] [TIE INTERCEPTOR: 6] [TIE PHANTOM: 3] [FIRESPRAY-31: 1] [SHUTTLE-LAMBDA: 1] *GROUND FORCES* [AT-AT: 4] [AT-ST: 6] SITH: [ETA-2: 3] [INFILTRATOR: 1] [INTIMIDATOR: 1]

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS