Is Unstoppable useless?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Alderaan Crumbs

Alderaan Crumbs

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 02:34 AM

It seems to be, especially at such a high cost, the worst talent I can think of. 25 xp and I have a very small chance of ignoring a Strain? I hope I'm missing something...

#2 Maelora

Maelora

• Members
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 03:09 AM

It does seem bizarre; you can ignore the 'take one strain' result on the critical table. Big whoop, glad I spent 25 XP on that!

I guess at least it does something, even if that something is next to useless.

As opposed to things like 'Familiar Suns' that allow you to use a skill... um, to do the stuff that you can do with the skill anyway... 

I think the EoE board had a list of the worst Talents at one point? 

Edited by Maelora, 13 July 2014 - 03:10 AM.

• kaosoe likes this

#3 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 6,005 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 04:15 AM

The point is that normally all of those critical hits reduced to 01 still add +10 each to your next roll. With this talent, I'm pretty sure that anything reduced to 01 is totally ignored and won't sit on your sheet waiting to be healed and adding bonuses on future critical hits. This could be important, especially once you have several ranks of Durable.

• Col. Orange, Vonpenguin, Hysteria and 3 others like this

Ignore, Ignore, you must learn Ignore!

Now Ignoring: Nobody.

#4 Yoshiyahu

Yoshiyahu

• Members
  • 476 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 04:21 AM

This could be important, especially once you have several ranks of Durable.

This is what I was going to hit on, but HappyDaze beat me to it. Between Commando and Gunner, a player with enough XP could effectively ignore any critical injury result below 40.

• bradknowles likes this

CorellianCrafts.com is now live! Be sure to check it out for hand-made Star Wars dice bags and accessories!

#5 2P51

2P51

• Members
  • 3,555 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 04:27 AM

Useless? No. Oversold for 25 xp? Yup.

• bradknowles likes this

My group's Obsidian Portal campaign site: It's All in the Trigger Squeeze

#6 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

Looking for a saint? Look elsewhere.

• Members
  • 4,276 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 04:35 AM

It's situational.

By itself, Unstoppable's not that great.  Add in a few ranks of Durable (which reduces a critical injury result by 10 per rank) and it becomes a little more viable.  Plus as HappyDaze noted, you don't have a critical injury if Unstoppable is triggered, which means that's a +10 bonus to a future critical injury in that combat that your opponent isn't getting.  And as you start squaring off against adversaries that can reliably roll enough Advantages to trigger a critical injury, not giving them a free bonus on that critical injury roll is a rather helpful benefit.

• bradknowles likes this

Dono's Gaming & Etc Blog - http://jedimorningfire.blogspot.com/

"You worry about those drink vouchers, I'll worry about that bar tab!"

#7 Maelora

Maelora

• Members
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 06:28 AM

Good points, guys.  We've never actually used this one, so it did look a bit underwhelming.

#8 progressions

progressions

• Members
  • 1,652 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 09:10 AM

On its own it does look a bit silly, but in synergy with 2 ranks of Durable, it'd great to get to ignore Crit rolls of 20 or less and prevent them from making the next crit tougher!

EOTE Styles and Dice Symbols for Obsidian Portal

Our group's EOTE Obsidian Portal: Explorers on the Edge

#9 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 6,005 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 09:47 AM

On its own it does look a bit silly, but in synergy with 2 ranks of Durable, it'd great to get to ignore Crit rolls of 20 or less and prevent them from making the next crit tougher!

This is another ability that can actually get pretty silly in a high XP game. Once the character has Durable 5+ (currently possible with EotE crossover), there are going to be a lot of critical hits ignored.

• bradknowles likes this

Ignore, Ignore, you must learn Ignore!

Now Ignoring: Nobody.

#10 progressions

progressions

• Members
  • 1,652 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 11:44 AM

This is another ability that can actually get pretty silly in a high XP game. Once the character has Durable 5+ (currently possible with EotE crossover), there are going to be a lot of critical hits ignored.

I'll be happy to worry about that if it should ever come up. With my players I do not anticipate any problems.

• bradknowles likes this

EOTE Styles and Dice Symbols for Obsidian Portal

Our group's EOTE Obsidian Portal: Explorers on the Edge

#11 bull30548

bull30548

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 12:19 PM

I could see it as being useful for a person planning a long time character over the different CRBs.  Say you start out with a group of EotE classes.  Explorer Fringer is a pretty good jack of all trades kind of character and he becomes better as you go down the line.  Or the Hired Gun Bodyguard (especially with access to the bottom tier from Dangerous Covenants) and you then go into the Commando and then Gunner.  Imagine that stacked with either of those two bottom tier talents.  Now you have Durable 5 times so potentially not catching a critical fifty percent of the time makes it really useful.  I am looking forward to what they introduce with F&D and see where it goes from there.

SPACE GUINEA PIGS TO THE RESCUE!!!!!

#12 Alderaan Crumbs

Alderaan Crumbs

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 12:29 PM

Useless was a tad harsh. For 25 xp coupling it with a -20 to crit, I'm not impressed. If it was less xp I might like it more, but it shouldn't be all-but-required to hop all over the spec trees to make a 25 xp Talent more viable. That mentioned it's not the end of the galaxy as you don't have to buy it. Even if you do, for completionist's sake, 25 xp didn't set you back to Jar Jar levels. :)

And it's Unstoppable! It should allow you to be just that and ignore the instant death crit! (joking)

Edited by Alderaan Crumbs, 13 July 2014 - 12:33 PM.

• Maelora likes this

#13 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

• Members
  • 4,276 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 02:42 PM

Just tossing out an idea for Unstoppable for those folks that really don't care for how it's currently written.

Instead of negating a critical injury that's an 01 or reduced to an 01, once per encounter the PC can instead flip a Destiny Point to negate the mechanical penalties of that critical hit for that encounter.  So for instance, if your PC got tagged with a final result of "Hamstrung - target loses his free maneuver until the end of the encounter", spend the Destiny Point to activate Unstoppable and ignore the effects of Hamstrung, though the character would still count as having a critical injury for purposes of modifying any further critical injury rolls.

• Alderaan Crumbs likes this

#14 Alderaan Crumbs

Alderaan Crumbs

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 11:34 PM

Donovan, that's very cool. The only thing problem with it is that it steps on a few Talents that do that based on certain abilities.

#15 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

• Members
  • 4,276 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 03:04 PM

Donovan, that's very cool. The only thing problem with it is that it steps on a few Talents that do that based on certain abilities.

Like I said, it was off the top of my head.  Could be changed to a once per session effect easily enough.

However, the key difference is that the alternative version of Unstoppable only works against that specific critical injury, where talents such as Heroic Fortitude work for any critical injury that involves that Characteristic, including those that don't specifically reference said Characteristic.

So with Heroic Fortitude, it'd negate the mechanical effects of any critical injury that involves the character making a Brawn or Agility check, even if the critical injury is something like "add a setback die to all skill checks" or "upgrade difficulty of all checks by one"; as long as it's an Agility or Brawn check, then Heroic Fortitude would kick in.  Same holds true for any of the talents that say the effects of a critical injury don't apply to checks for the specified Characteristics.  This was clarified by Sam Stewart on the Dangerous Covenants episode of Order 66 when GM Chris mentioned how felt those sorts of talents were of little use.

#16 Ailowynn

Ailowynn

• Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 11:47 PM

I'd say that, by itself, it's pretty lackluster. But in a tree focused on taking less and less damage, it becomes a good bit more powerful. When coupled with talents like Durable and Heroic Fortitude, it becomes a good bit better. Perhaps a bit expensive for 25 XP, but very cool when it comes up--especially since it means that the advantage/triumph used to crit are completely wasted. You don't even receive the injury, meaning it doesn't need healing.

Dono's house rule is a cool idea, although I, personally, would rather have something like the original talent, except you can flip a Destiny Point to cancel a critical roll of up to x (say, 30 or so). For me, a big part of the talent is that you don't even need patching up afterward; you aren't just fighting through the pain, you're completely unaffected by the injury because you're just that tough.

• BillW likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS