Lesser Known Rules

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#41 StephenEsven

StephenEsven

• Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 03:33 AM

Like I said. Ambiguous and stilk being debated.

Owns: A Lot of Models.

Author of the ALTERNATE X-Wing Miniatures data files for ArmyBuilder. Alternate update site now here.

#42 Forensicus

Forensicus

• Members
  • 493 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 03:57 AM

@Gullwind - Care to clarify that? As I'm not quite sure how you mean.

Cheers

@Gullwind - Care to clarify that? As I'm not quite sure how you mean.

Cheers

It is possible to angle the target on the edge of a firing arc such that the corner of the target outside the attackers arc us closer to the attacker than any point of the base inside the arc. If the target also happens to be straddling the line between two range bands it can make a difference.

Basically it and Gullwind means that at any time when measuring for Range during combat you may only or rather MUST measure within your firing arc. This is in contrast to when measuring for Target Lock.

If you take a look at the top left picture on page 11 in the rulebook:

Even though the Academy Pilots nearest point is at Range 2 the closest point that is within the Rookie's fringe arc is at Range 3. So it is a Range 3 shot for the Rookie

2014 X-Wing Regional Champion (CPH, Denmark)

Fleet: 1 x [YT-1300] -  5 x [X-Wing] - 4 x [A-Wing] -2 x [Y-Wing] - 2 x [HWK-290] - 4 x [B-Wing] - 1 x [Transport] - 1 x [Tantive IV]: 2 x [Firespray-31] - 8 x [Tie Fighters] - 6 x [Tie Interceptor] - 3 x [Tie Advanced] - 3 x [TIE-Bomber] - 3 x [Lambda Shuttle]

"Hangars": BattleFoam P.A.C.K. 432 & P.A.C.K. 216 with custom & pluck foams "Battlefields": 3 x Gale Force 9 Mats

#43 Sergovan

Sergovan

Fly Casual

• Members
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 04:53 AM

If you K-turn and overlap a ship you don't turn around but keep flying straight, and still get the stress. If you overlap an obstacle you complete the K-turn, and suffer the effects of running over/landing on an obstacle.

Card text overrides the general rules. If a card ability forbids an effect, while another ability allows it, the effect is forbidden.

If you overlap another ship and are base to base with it, you are "touching" that ship. You cannot barrel roll, boost, or decloak into a touching situation as you have to overlap to be considered touching, and those maneuvers are barred from overlapping.

Physically adjacent and touching are two different things. The first is your ships are base to base but can target one another, the other is base to base after an overlap but can't target one another.

The steps for resolving an attack are:

Attacker rolls dice

Defender modifies them

Attacker modifies them

Defender rolls defence dice

Attacker modifies the defence dice

Defender modifies the defence dice

Cancel out and determine results

Suffer damage.

Being dealt a face up crit card is not the same as having a card flipped face up.

Unless a card text says "may", or uses the "Action" or "Attack" headers, then the ability is mandatory and must be followed.

A range ruller must overlap a part of the target base to be in range 3. If the range ruler sits flat on the table, but touches both bases, the target is outside of range 3.

*If you have any question regarding the rules or want a clarification for how you think it works, start a thread about it on the Rules Thread forum and you will get helped. 

• swimmingordy likes this

Rebels: 5 X-Wing, 4 Y-Wing, 4 A-Wing, 2 Yt-1300, 3 B-wing, 3 HWK-290, 3 Z-95, 1 E-wing, 1 CR 75

Empire: 6 Tie Fighters, 6 Tie Interceptors (1- 181st, 1- RG), 2 Tie Advanced, 2 Firesprays, 4 Tie Bombers,

2 Lambda, 1 Tie Phantom, 1 Defender

Tournament results: (S)11 of 11; (S)3 of 11;(AoIA)2 of 3; ®12 of 28

#44 Keffisch

Keffisch

• Members
  • 854 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 04:55 AM

That bombs and mines are not secondary weapons (ref. Munitions Failure crit)

• gentgeen likes this

#45 Quendil

Quendil

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 10:27 AM

Turrets do not change the actual firing arc.
(so they do not make you immune against Backstabber)

Cum gladio evaginato!!

#46 bobbywhiskey

bobbywhiskey

• Members
  • 266 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 10:31 AM

• Yup, the one with secondary weapons and range.
  • The rule of simultaneous fire.
  • The use of the tokens for critical damage.
  • That you are only barred from shooting if you land on an obstacle (not from flying through it).
  • That bombs and mines are not obstacles (especially when it comes to boosts, barrels rolls, and decloaking).
  • A number of details to specific pilot or upgrade cards (such as, you can in fact land Critical hits with a Heavy Laser Canon or that you can only use C-3P0 once per round).
  • And specific for tournaments the rules on what you are allowed to measure when.

Just to elaborate a bit on that bomb/mine reference. Yes they are not obstacles so the rule stopping you from barrel rolling/ boosting onto them does not apply. The rules for Proximity Mine triggering used to also say that it only blew up if a ship executed a maneuver over it (which of course barrel roll/boost are not). It was changed in the last version or two of the F.A.Q. though so that now those actions will cause it to 'splode. 

• Cremate likes this

#47 UnfairBanana

UnfairBanana

• Members
  • 924 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 10:34 AM

If your template passes over an obstacle, you roll an Attack die and suffer damage on a hit.

If your ship stops on an obstacle, you roll an Attack die and suffer damage on a hit AND you lose your attack that round. It's under the section on Obstacles as I recall. I've double-checked it a few times as it's always been a fuzzy distinction for many people.

Huh. FOr whatever reason, I remembered it was lose an action, not lose an attack. Good to know.

• haslo likes this

Rebels: 2 A-wings, 2 B-wings, 2 E-wing, 4 X-Wings, 2 Y- Wings, 2 Z-95s, 1 HWK-290, 1 YT-1300, 1 GR-75 Space whale, 1 CR-90 Corvette

Empire: 5 TIE/LN, 4 TIE Interceptors, 2 TIE Bombers, 1 TIE Advanced, 2 TIE Defender, 2 TIE Phantom, 2 Firesprays, 1 Lambda

#48 Gullwind

Gullwind

• Members
  • 622 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 11:22 AM

@ Stronghammer

Sorry, I didn't see you post until this morning. Forgottenlore and Forensicus explained it better than I did. If you still have questions, feel free to ask.

#49 Gundog8324

Gundog8324

• Members
  • 798 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 02:08 PM

the second action from PTL can only be one on your bar.  So if you are say an A-wing with 2 EPTs or a Droid/crew capable ship that gives an action you need to do the EPT/Droid/Crew or if you have a crit specific action 1st otherwise it is technically illegal

Along those lines droid/EPT/crew actions can still be used if you have the damaged sensor array card as most of those actions are not "on your bar"

EU actually places the boost on your bar so you cannot use it when you have the damaged sensor crit but you can use it as the second action with PTL

#50 Yipikayey

Yipikayey

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 02:16 PM

You have to take a shot if you can.

This rule bummed out my Whisper because he had to shoot at a slave 1 with rebel captive.

Uh, what? Page 10 of the core rulebook:

Combat Phase:

During this phase, each ship may perform one attack against one enemy ship that is inside its firing arc and within range.

What the...

I was told by two players more experienced than me so I believed it.

They also said "you have to do it now" which suggested a rule change to me.

Thanks for putting me right.

Learn the rules. I had to clarify rules to veterans. I am taking they just didn't know better (stuff like using against me C3PO for every attack instead of once per round, because well, i didn't really know what a round was on Xwing, i am guessing they didn't either... i had a silly discussion on my part on this forum for that screw up... my ties would had killed his han long ago). After discovering that i just read the rulebook, to be honest, it is pretty short and simple so there is little excuse for us to not learn it.

Edited by Yipikayey, 13 July 2014 - 02:18 PM.

#51 Mace Windu

Mace Windu

• Members
  • 324 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 03:20 PM

Like I said. Ambiguous and stilk being debated.

Actually in terms of the ruling, there is no ambiguity whatsoever:

2 ships overlapped, “Touching”

Anything else and they are not, simple really.

Any 2 parallel objects that then move in a straight line the exact same distance cannot physically overlap.

The only real ambiguity in this scenario is the fact that the technical term FFG decided to use in the rule book is contradictory in terms of it's real world usage i.e. touching means physical contact.

If “Touching” in the terms of the rules was called for example “Close Quarters” there would be no ambiguity at all.

E.G

“If 2 ships are in close quarters they cannot shoot at each other”

“If you would overlap a ship, instead you perform your move as far as you can, then those ships are in close quarters”

“Ships that are Physically in contact but are not in close quarters may shoot at each other”

Does this make sense now?

Rebel Freedom Fighters: 5 Z95, 4 X-Wing, 3 B-Wing, 1 Y-Wing, 1 A-Wing, 1 E-Wing, 1 HWK 290 & 1 YT-1300

Imperial Oppressors: 5 TIE Fighter, 3 TIE Bomber, 4 TIE Interceptor, 1 TIE Phantom, 1 TIE Defender, 2 Firespray & 1 Shuttle

#52 haslo

haslo

• Members
  • 582 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 04:23 PM

If your template passes over an obstacle, you roll an Attack die and suffer damage on a hit.

If your ship stops on an obstacle, you roll an Attack die and suffer damage on a hit AND you lose your attack that round. It's under the section on Obstacles as I recall. I've double-checked it a few times as it's always been a fuzzy distinction for many people.

Huh. FOr whatever reason, I remembered it was lose an action, not lose an attack. Good to know.

You do lose an action, both when passing through and landing on an obstacle. This is the relevant section of the rules:

When a ship executes a maneuver in which either the maneuver template or the ship’s base physically overlaps an obstacle token, follow these steps:

1. Execute the maneuver as normal, but skip the “Perform Action” step.

2. The player rolls one attack die. The ship then suffers any damage or critical damage rolled (see “Suffering Damage” on page 16).

important: When overlapping an obstacle token, the ship stays where it lands (on top of the token). A ship that is overlapping an obstacle token during the Combat phase cannot attack any ship but may be targeted by other ships as normal. 

Edited by haslo, 13 July 2014 - 04:24 PM.

Imperials: 13 TIE Fighter, 5 TIE Advanced, 15 TIE Interceptor, 4 Slave I, 6 TIE Bomber, 5 Lambda Shuttle, 3 TIE Defender, 4 TIE Phantom

Rebels: 1 Tantive IV, 1 Rebel Transport, 7 X-Wing, 5 Y-Wing, 4 YT-1300, 6 A-Wing, 5 B-Wing, 5 HWK-290, 6 Z-95, 3 E-Wing

#53 UnfairBanana

UnfairBanana

• Members
  • 924 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 05:29 PM

Ah, thanks for that.

Rebels: 2 A-wings, 2 B-wings, 2 E-wing, 4 X-Wings, 2 Y- Wings, 2 Z-95s, 1 HWK-290, 1 YT-1300, 1 GR-75 Space whale, 1 CR-90 Corvette

Empire: 5 TIE/LN, 4 TIE Interceptors, 2 TIE Bombers, 1 TIE Advanced, 2 TIE Defender, 2 TIE Phantom, 2 Firesprays, 1 Lambda

#54 The_Brown_Bomber

The_Brown_Bomber

• Members
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 05:55 PM

when u boost, u can check to see if ur ship lands on an asteroid and then change your mind if it does. depending on what level of rules enforcement u r playing you may have to bank boost the other way to avoid the asteroid or u might just change ur action and say ur not boosting because u cant boost onto an asteroid. check with the TO to see if u have to bank boost the other way if u cancel the first boost action tho.

"There will be a substantial reward for anyone who finds the Millenium Falcon. You are free to use whatever means necessary, but I want them alive. No disintegration!".

Lord Vader

#55 oddeye

oddeye

• Members
  • 547 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 06:02 PM

sigh.. wish admin were around. 

This thread should be stickied in the "rule questions" sub section of this forum. We need new sub sections too. like one for building lists / advice ect. This is a really useful thread that is going to get buried sooner or later and lost to time. :(

Edited by oddeye, 13 July 2014 - 06:02 PM.

I see your schwartz is as big as mine. Let's see how you handle it!

#56 LemonheadPrime

LemonheadPrime

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 06:20 PM

To clarify the "landing on an obstacle" bit

You DO NOT lose your ability to attack that round by landing on an asteroid - You are unable to attack that round, if you are still on an asteroid when it's your turn to shoot.

There are ways to land on an asteroid, and get off it before the combat phase. If you manage that, you can attack even though you landed on an asteroid earlier that turn.

The one with losing your stealth device only after being hit is a bit tricky. I've seen many people discard it after hitting an asteroid.

#57 WonderWAAAGH

WonderWAAAGH

Oasean Ork

• Members
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 06:23 PM

when u boost, u can check to see if ur ship lands on an asteroid and then change your mind if it does. depending on what level of rules enforcement u r playing you may have to bank boost the other way to avoid the asteroid or u might just change ur action and say ur not boosting because u cant boost onto an asteroid. check with the TO to see if u have to bank boost the other way if u cancel the first boost action tho.

If I'm playing at a tournament, I would expect to be playing by tournament rules.

I'm an angelic creature free of sin.

#58 Eltnot

Eltnot

• Members
  • 880 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 06:49 PM

If you overlap another ship and are base to base with it, you are "touching" that ship. You cannot barrel roll, boost, or decloak into a touching situation as you have to overlap to be considered touching, and those maneuvers are barred from overlapping.

Not quite correct.  If you overlap during your movement phase, you skip your perform an action phase and thus can't boost/barrel roll, etc.  However if you are supplied a free action later (Turr Phennir after shooting for example) can now barrel roll or boost, so long as he/she doesn't overlap as per the normal rulings of Boost and Barrel Roll, etc.

Carpe Jugulum

Spoiler

#59 Forgottenlore

Forgottenlore

Midnight Dreary

• Members
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 07:25 PM

You do not have to go the other direction if you don't want to. It used to be kind of ambiguous, but the latest update to the FAQ/tourney rules make it clear that you declare a direction you are trying to boost and if you can't do it you can choose a different action altogether if you want.

Thanks, Troy

Once Upon a Midnight Dreary....

#60 Sergovan

Sergovan

Fly Casual

• Members
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 08:39 PM

Not quite correct.  If you overlap during your movement phase, you skip your perform an action phase and thus can't boost/barrel roll, etc.  However if you are supplied a free action later (Turr Phennir after shooting for example) can now barrel roll or boost, so long as he/she doesn't overlap as per the normal rulings of Boost and Barrel Roll, etc.

What I was trying to get across here is that you cannot BR, boost, or decloak into a touching scenario. You have to overlap to be touching, and BR, Boost, and decloak don't allow for overlapping when you use them.

So, a ship can't barrel roll and make contact with a ship and declare that they can't shoot at one another. They can shoot at one another as they are physically adjacent and not "touching" (as per rule definition of overlapping and backing up to touch, p.17 core rulebook)

Rebels: 5 X-Wing, 4 Y-Wing, 4 A-Wing, 2 Yt-1300, 3 B-wing, 3 HWK-290, 3 Z-95, 1 E-wing, 1 CR 75

Empire: 6 Tie Fighters, 6 Tie Interceptors (1- 181st, 1- RG), 2 Tie Advanced, 2 Firesprays, 4 Tie Bombers,

2 Lambda, 1 Tie Phantom, 1 Defender

Tournament results: (S)11 of 11; (S)3 of 11;(AoIA)2 of 3; ®12 of 28

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS