Lesser Known Rules

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#21 kellyj

kellyj

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 10:01 PM

Take an evening (maybe an hour) and just READ the rule book. The core rules are 11 pages from a relatively small book. Then you have a few new pages of Big ship rules that tell you how to play your YT's et al. A few more added rules on specific cards ("Ion Token" for example). And now the really big ship rules. All in all if you compiled everything in 1 volume your looking at maybe 25 pages (depending on the amount of artwork your throwing in).

Having come over from the Dark Side (Warhammer 40K) where your core rules are several hundred pages in an oversized book THEN each army gets 50-100 pages of specific rules....

Add in the bonus that the X-Wing rules are well written with no contradictions or fuzziness that abounds in the GW world.

• haslo, Parravon and Hobojebus like this

#22 Silver Crane

Silver Crane

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 10:11 PM

When moving in formation, if you bump the ship in front of you so that you are perfectly square you are not considered overlapping on future turns if they move the same even though they are touching.

That's good to know. Do you recall if this is stated in the rulebook or the FAQ? It occurred once during a local tournament and we had agreed with my assessment that it only counted as touching and not overlapping (I think it was my two X-wings both k-turning).

I've spent the last two months wondering if I was being 'That Guy' despite everyone being reasonable about it and I likely would have won anyway.

Pretty sure it's in the FAQ? Watch any video of worlds or nationals that uses swarms and you will see it used with no judge complaint. I learned about it watching GenCon videos from last year.

I wouldn't use that as proof of anything.  Case in point the AGot Melee final table at Worlds.  A player made a blatantly illegal play.  Many people watching the stream caught it and so did the judge apparently.  But the judge did not intervene as none of the other players caught it.  A ton of people were ticked.  The explanation: It wasn't the judge's responsibility. So I wouldn't use that as proof.  Just my 10 credits... 

#23 Gullwind

Gullwind

• Members
  • 622 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 10:55 PM

One that I had to learn the hard way was that range is measured to the closest point of the target's base within the attacker's firing arc, which may not be the absolute closest distance.

#24 Filter

Filter

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 11:06 PM

that a barrell roll is anything flush on your base on both sides so you can finagle forwards or backwards as needed off of it.

Kept a Phantom on the table because of this, a sharp 1 turn and it would have been off the table that's how close it was to the edge. Opponent thought it was going to fly off the board so planed his ship's moves toward my other ships, leaving the Phantom to fly off the table. Decloak barrel rolled, placing the template to the back of the ship then placed the ship to the back of the template then did a sharp 1 turn to keep it on the table.

#25 UnfairBanana

UnfairBanana

• Members
  • 902 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 11:15 PM

You cannot re-roll a dice that has already been re-rolled. That one was new to me recently.
Also, what's this about not being able to attack if you land on an asteroid? I definitely missed that one.

Rebels: 2 A-wings, 2 B-wings, 2 E-wing, 4 X-Wings, 2 Y- Wings, 2 Z-95s, 1 HWK-290, 1 YT-1300, 1 GR-75 Space whale, 1 CR-90 Corvette

Empire: 5 TIE/LN, 4 TIE Interceptors, 2 TIE Bombers, 1 TIE Advanced, 2 TIE Defender, 2 TIE Phantom, 2 Firesprays, 1 Lambda

#26 Stronghammer

Stronghammer

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 11:30 PM

@Gullwind - Care to clarify that? As I'm not quite sure how you mean.

Cheers

#27 Utsanomiko

Utsanomiko

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 11:31 PM

If your template passes over an obstacle, you roll an Attack die and suffer damage on a hit.

If your ship stops on an obstacle, you roll an Attack die and suffer damage on a hit AND you lose your attack that round. It's under the section on Obstacles as I recall. I've double-checked it a few times as it's always been a fuzzy distinction for many people.

• UnfairBanana likes this

#28 Forgottenlore

Forgottenlore

Midnight Dreary

• Members
  • 1,581 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 11:33 PM

@Gullwind - Care to clarify that? As I'm not quite sure how you mean.

Cheers

It is possible to angle the target on the edge of a firing arc such that the corner of the target outside the attackers arc us closer to the attacker than any point of the base inside the arc. If the target also happens to be straddling the line between two range bands it can make a difference.

Thanks, Troy

Once Upon a Midnight Dreary....

#29 Darth Ruin

Darth Ruin

• Members
  • 276 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 12:13 AM

You cannot re-roll a dice that has already been re-rolled. That one was new to me recently.
Also, what's this about not being able to attack if you land on an asteroid? I definitely missed that one.

This is pretty much a fundamental rule of X-Wing... 

#30 JaggedLittleFel

JaggedLittleFel

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 12:28 AM

You have to take a shot if you can.

This rule bummed out my Whisper because he had to shoot at a slave 1 with rebel captive.

#31 WonderWAAAGH

WonderWAAAGH

Oasean Ork

• Members
  • 3,173 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 12:31 AM

This rule bummed out my Whisper because he had to shoot at a slave 1 with rebel captive.

Uh, what? Page 10 of the core rulebook:

Combat Phase:

During this phase, each ship may perform one attack against one enemy ship that is inside its firing arc and within range.

Edited by WonderWAAAGH, 13 July 2014 - 12:34 AM.

• magadizer, Vorpal Sword, swimmingordy and 1 other like this

I'm an angelic creature free of sin.

#32 Gundog8324

Gundog8324

• Members
  • 781 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 12:33 AM

This is pretty much a fundamental rule of X-Wing... 

and any other game that involves dice

#33 Parravon

Parravon

• Members
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 01:22 AM

There's a few rules buried in the blue side bars in the rulebook that seem to get missed out quite often. After reading the rules questions forum for the last few months, I keep seeing some basic questions keep coming up that can be answered by reading the rulebook. As Kellyj stated further up, it's not a big rulebook. I've purposely steered clear of 40K for three main reasons: the cost, the neverending updated rulebooks, and the fact that there's usually a rule and then an exception to it for a special character. Trying to keep all that sorted is just a nightmare I don't wish to inflict on myself.

By VAST contrast, X-Wing is simple and easy to pick up, as evidenced by the number of members here that have successfully taught their kids to play. And the beauty of it, is it's nice, small, concise rulebook. But you can't just read it once and think you know everything. If you're new to the game, read the rules, ALL the rules, even the blue sidebar bits, especially those bits, and you may find you'll learn something new about the game.

• haslo, Forensicus and Hobojebus like this

Rick

Hastings, New Zealand

3 X-Wing, 2 A-Wing, 1 Y-Wing, 1 B-Wing, 1 E-Wing, 1 YT-1300

3 TIE Fighters, 3 TIE Int, 1 TIE Adv, 1 TIE Bomber, 1 TIE Phantom, 1 TIE Defender, 1 Firespray-31

#34 JaggedLittleFel

JaggedLittleFel

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 01:34 AM

Combat Phase:

During this phase, each ship may perform one attack against one enemy ship that is inside its firing arc and within range.

What the...

I was told by two players more experienced than me so I believed it.

They also said "you have to do it now" which suggested a rule change to me.

Thanks for putting me right.

#35 WonderWAAAGH

WonderWAAAGH

Oasean Ork

• Members
  • 3,173 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 01:39 AM

No problem.

I'm an angelic creature free of sin.

#36 Parravon

Parravon

• Members
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 02:08 AM

Combat Phase:

What the...

I was told by two players more experienced than me so I believed it.

They also said "you have to do it now" which suggested a rule change to me.

Thanks for putting me right.

Sometimes it's the "more experienced" players that are the dodgy ones. There's no substitute for knowing the rules.

• Mace Windu and Hobojebus like this

Rick

Hastings, New Zealand

3 X-Wing, 2 A-Wing, 1 Y-Wing, 1 B-Wing, 1 E-Wing, 1 YT-1300

3 TIE Fighters, 3 TIE Int, 1 TIE Adv, 1 TIE Bomber, 1 TIE Phantom, 1 TIE Defender, 1 Firespray-31

#37 insom

insom

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 02:37 AM

You can spend Focus tokens/TL tokens even if you rolled no <eye> results or did not reroll any dice.

• Cremate likes this

#38 Hujoe Bigs

Hujoe Bigs

• Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 02:38 AM

The fact that a movement template can extend outside the play area and as long as the base of the ship stays inside the play area from start to finish, it is not considered fleeing.

Saboteur and Raxler's abilities work on Chewie due to them acting on the cards already dealt and not dealing a critical themselves.

If a ship lands on an asteroid, it only rolls and loses its action on the turn after if the maneuver template overlaps the object token a second time.

Ten Numbs and autoblasters damage can be avoided with an evade token (only one in the case of the auto).

When estimating the placement of a ship after a collision, you line up the front and back nubs of the base with the movement template as best as possible.

Turret weapons allow firing outside of the primary arc, but does not make the primary arc extend in a 360 around the ship.

Darkcurse is immune to secondary weapons that require focus to fire (Blaster turret, dead eye missile).

R2-D2 can regenerate shields even if the hull of the ship he is equipped to has taken damage.

Quite a few tournament rules that are forgotten but I wont go fully into right now, but a few like the following:

Once you active a ship for firing it is must finish its attack before measuring the next ship.

You can only measure distances when using an action or attack that requires it.

Attacks and abilities that are not triggered at the right time can be considered missed and do not active.

You must declare the target of a target lock before measuring the distance.

You must declare the side of the barrel roll and if it is possible to do it from any available area of the ships base it must be completed and a few other ones, same ruling with boost.

More importantly for winning a full win is granted on 12 points or more over your opponent of total destroy ships and no longer 33. I know there are others but some of these come up a lot at my local store.

Edited by Hujoe Bigs, 13 July 2014 - 02:50 AM.

• haslo likes this

Rebels: 4 X-wings, 2-Y-Wings, 3 A-Wings, 3 E-wings, 4 Z-95s, 1 YT-1300, 2 B-Wings, 2 HWK-290, 1 CR90, 1 GR-75 

Imperials: 5 Tie/Ln, 1 Tie/Adv, 7 Tie/In, 2 Tie/Sa, 2 Tie/D, 3 Phantoms, 1 FireSpray, 2 Lambda

#39 StephenEsven

StephenEsven

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 02:48 AM

That ruling is still being debated here. To me ships can touch withoyt overlapping. But someone posted a repry from Frank at FFG. This reply is interpreted to indicate the opposite. Which in my mind makes the rules wildly ambiguous.

Owns: A Lot of Models.

Author of the ALTERNATE X-Wing Miniatures data files for ArmyBuilder. Alternate update site now here.

#40 Mace Windu

Mace Windu

• Members
  • 319 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 03:09 AM

That ruling is still being debated here. To me ships can touch withoyt overlapping. But someone posted a repry from Frank at FFG. This reply is interpreted to indicate the opposite. Which in my mind makes the rules wildly ambiguous.

l belive the reason is that the term "Touching" in the rules of X-Wing do not mean physically in contact. "Touching" mean "this ship overlapped another ship" .

If 2 ships "Overlapped" the previous turn and are parallel to each other they cannot "Overlap" the next turn if they both perform the same straight manouvre.

at the end of that move they may be physically in contact but they are not "Touching"
  • Forensicus likes this

Rebel Freedom Fighters: 5 Z95, 4 X-Wing, 3 B-Wing, 1 Y-Wing, 1 A-Wing, 1 E-Wing, 1 HWK 290 & 1 YT-1300

Imperial Oppressors: 5 TIE Fighter, 3 TIE Bomber, 4 TIE Interceptor, 1 TIE Phantom, 1 TIE Defender, 2 Firespray & 1 Shuttle

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS