Lesser Known Rules

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 Popn618

Popn618

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 06:16 PM

Since I can't play this weekend, I figure I can try and get better while I wait.

What are some of the lesser know rules that youve seen or used? I'm thinking things like "not getting a range 3 extra-defense from secondary weapons" (fairly well known) or that a barrell roll is anything flush on your base on both sides so you can finagle forwards or backwards as needed off of it.

I'm not really looking for ways to cheat but just rules that could be forgotten about that that could be advantageous to one side.

“It’s not impossible. I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back home, they’re not much bigger than two meters.”

#2 TezzasGames

TezzasGames

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 06:22 PM

Go and read the rules forum for some gems.

For some reason it seems that half the printed rule book appears to be 'lesser known' !!!

Modifying attack dice, anyone???

:)

• Forensicus, rym and X Wing Nut like this

#3 Cremate

Cremate

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 06:30 PM

• Yup, the one with secondary weapons and range.
  • The rule of simultaneous fire.
  • The use of the tokens for critical damage.
  • That you are only barred from shooting if you land on an obstacle (not from flying through it).
  • That bombs and mines are not obstacles (especially when it comes to boosts, barrels rolls, and decloaking).
  • A number of details to specific pilot or upgrade cards (such as, you can in fact land Critical hits with a Heavy Laser Canon or that you can only use C-3P0 once per round).
  • And specific for tournaments the rules on what you are allowed to measure when.

#4 Mace Windu

Mace Windu

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 06:32 PM

What Tezza said, the best thing you can do is read the rulebook, then read it again then go and read the FAQ and then read it again.

A lot of the questions that come up in the question forum are actually there in the rules but people tend to gloss over them or only read the rules only once when they first started

• haslo and Parravon like this

Rebel Freedom Fighters: 5 Z95, 4 X-Wing, 3 B-Wing, 1 Y-Wing, 1 A-Wing, 1 E-Wing, 1 HWK 290 & 1 YT-1300

Imperial Oppressors: 5 TIE Fighter, 3 TIE Bomber, 4 TIE Interceptor, 1 TIE Phantom, 2 Firespray & 1 Shuttle

#5 WonderWAAAGH

WonderWAAAGH

Oasean Ork

• Members
  • 2,408 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 06:43 PM

Etahn's arc extends beyond range 3.

Howl's ability does not persist for the duration of the combat round if she's killed.
  • haslo and oddeye like this

It's not easy being green.

#6 Cremate

Cremate

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 06:45 PM

But his skill doesn't (it includes a "range 1-3" in the description, doesn't it?).

• stegocent and gabe69velasquez like this

#7 Corellian Corvette

Corellian Corvette

• Members
  • 203 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 06:49 PM

But his skill doesn't (it includes a "range 1-3" in the description, doesn't it?).

I have the card in front of me, you are correct. The enemy must be within 1-3, but the attacker does not need to be within ethan's arc or range 1-3 of ethan, just the enemy.

Edited by Corellian Corvette, 12 July 2014 - 07:00 PM.

A-wings, 2 E-Wings, 5 X-wings, 2 Y-wings, 1 B-wing, 1 HWK-290, 1 YT-1300, 1 GR-75, 1 CR90

"If everything already comes painted, why do I have an urge to re-paint it all still?"

"Green Squadron Reporting In!"

#8 VanorDM

VanorDM

• Members
  • 2,902 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 06:50 PM

It does.

#9 Corellian Corvette

Corellian Corvette

• Members
  • 203 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 06:51 PM

Oh! Tarn Mison should always be paired with R7, but R7 can only be triggered once per turn. found that out the other day!

• MikeEMcGee likes this

A-wings, 2 E-Wings, 5 X-wings, 2 Y-wings, 1 B-wing, 1 HWK-290, 1 YT-1300, 1 GR-75, 1 CR90

"If everything already comes painted, why do I have an urge to re-paint it all still?"

"Green Squadron Reporting In!"

#10 WonderWAAAGH

WonderWAAAGH

Oasean Ork

• Members
  • 2,408 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 06:58 PM

Pardon me, I meant "does not."

I think the question that came up was whether or not his arc would extend to infinity without that clause.

Edited by WonderWAAAGH, 12 July 2014 - 07:02 PM.

#11 Gundog8324

Gundog8324

• Members
  • 598 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 07:38 PM

That the guide nubs count for overlapping other ships and asteroids/proxmines etc, but NOT for measuring range between ships

This one comes up on Vassal alot

• EvilEd209 likes this

#12 Forgottenlore

Forgottenlore

• Members
  • 1,208 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 08:04 PM

That the guide nubs count for overlapping other ships and asteroids/proxmines etc, but NOT for measuring range between ships

Never played on vassal myself, but I was told that the convention there was to ignore the nubs entirely because the the graphics used required that the nubs be made much larger than on the physical models.

Thanks, Troy

Once Upon a Midnight Dreary....

#13 TheMandalorianCandidate

TheMandalorianCandidate

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 08:18 PM

The difference between "at" range & "within" range i.e. if any part of a ship's base is in a particular range it counts as being at that range, though it always counts as being at the closest range increment, whereas if an effect calls for the target to be "within" a set range band the whole base must fall inside that increment.
Printed firing arcs - any effect referencing a firing arc works for all printed arcs on a ship's base (Firespray).
The difference between a firing arc & the 360* range of a turret primary.
The difference between "overlapping" and touching bases.
There are more, but those are the ones that spring to mind. The rules forum is a wealth of information, it's definitely worth browsing through for general queries, and a quick search can usually turn up the answer to most specific questions. Also, judging from the number of times I've been ninja'd on there, if you can't find what you're looking for someone will respond to new questions pretty dang quickly.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."

#14 GiraffeandZebra

GiraffeandZebra

• Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 08:19 PM

Never played on vassal myself, but I was told that the convention there was to ignore the nubs entirely because the the graphics used required that the nubs be made much larger than on the physical models.

They were resized and they play with nubs now for the most part I believe.

I've rarely seen nubs be a issue except when ships bump face to face.

#15 Nosilloc

Nosilloc

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 08:24 PM

When moving in formation, if you bump the ship in front of you so that you are perfectly square you are not considered overlapping on future turns if they move the same even though they are touching.
  • Crabbok likes this

#16 Utsanomiko

Utsanomiko

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 09:09 PM

When moving in formation, if you bump the ship in front of you so that you are perfectly square you are not considered overlapping on future turns if they move the same even though they are touching.

That's good to know. Do you recall if this is stated in the rulebook or the FAQ? It occurred once during a local tournament and we had agreed with my assessment that it only counted as touching and not overlapping (I think it was my two X-wings both k-turning).

I've spent the last two months wondering if I was being 'That Guy' despite everyone being reasonable about it and I likely would have won anyway.

#17 Crabbok

Crabbok

• Members
  • 897 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 09:20 PM

2 of my favorites:

Heavy Laser Cannon only modifies it's crits to become hits immediately after your attack roll - NOT after re-rolling dice.  So with a target lock you get to keep whatever crits you reroll.  

Bombs/mines are not considered secondary weapons - so if you get a crit that tells you to discard a secondary weapon, and all you have is a bomb - you get to keep the bomb. 

• haslo and gentgeen like this

#18 Nosilloc

Nosilloc

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 09:25 PM

That's good to know. Do you recall if this is stated in the rulebook or the FAQ? It occurred once during a local tournament and we had agreed with my assessment that it only counted as touching and not overlapping (I think it was my two X-wings both k-turning).

I've spent the last two months wondering if I was being 'That Guy' despite everyone being reasonable about it and I likely would have won anyway.

Pretty sure it's in the FAQ? Watch any video of worlds or nationals that uses swarms and you will see it used with no judge complaint. I learned about it watching GenCon videos from last year.

#19 WonderWAAAGH

WonderWAAAGH

Oasean Ork

• Members
  • 2,408 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 09:39 PM

Pretty sure it's in the FAQ? Watch any video of worlds or nationals that uses swarms and you will see it used with no judge complaint. I learned about it watching GenCon videos from last year.

It's page 4 of the FAQ, and only applies to straight maneuvers.
  • Forensicus likes this

#20 Nosilloc

Nosilloc

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 09:44 PM

It's page 4 of the FAQ, and only applies to straight maneuvers.

Sorry, forgot to clarify that part.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS