Looking for Group

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Mindlock

Mindlock

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 04:01 PM

I am interested in finding an RT group. I have experience with the game and can play any class. I don't go much into building character backgrounds, and most characters I build are stat blocks. Perfer to build the charaters story through gameplay. 

Word of caution, I do tend to view things from a practical stand point and don't enjoy groups that are RP heavy.

#2 Amazing Larry

Amazing Larry

• Members
  • 305 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 04:44 PM

So you like P&P Diablo is what you're saying? Why not just play Diablo on a computer?

#3 Mindlock

Mindlock

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 06:07 PM

I do not desire to be in a group that uses Roleplaying for unproductive purposes or using it as an excuse not to perform the purpose of their given class.

#4 Magellan

Magellan

• Members
  • 520 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 12:31 AM

Normally I hate to get into these kinds of discussions, but you caught me at an irritable moment.

How is rolling dice any more productive than talking? It's called a game precisely because it serves no purpose other than as entertainment. You're entitled to your opinion, but how you can look down on others for not playing the way you like is baffling to me (except not really - I understand that line of thinking perfectly, I'm just rhetorically expressing my disagreement and desire for you to change your attitude).

Also, this may just be the worst place on the internet to find a group. Try 4chan.

Also, make a game yourself.

• Fgdsfg and Erathia like this

I am the latest model of a Fabricator-General
My body isn't nearly as much animal as mineral
My learnedness is legend; my accomplishments historical
For hereteks and aliens my hatred's categorical

#5 Misha

Misha

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 02:40 AM

I agree with Magellan. You have to enjoy roleplaying to like RPG's. If you don't it ends up as just a group of people rolling dice. I understand what you mean but some would say that making your characters background is one of the funnest things. In RT making your characters background is the funnest thing when you make your character... It's supposed to be fun.

#6 Amazing Larry

Amazing Larry

• Members
  • 305 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 03:35 AM

At some point you have to have story, at some point you have to investigate that strange noise or board that wierdly abandoned looking starship or whatever. Ut's not really smart no but if it was totally about survival you never would have become a heavily armed billionaire hobo. It's about the glory, it's about rolling up on ****, it's about making the mad money and looking good doing it.

Sooner or later even with the best rolls and the best decision making you're just going to roll really horribly and what then? Sure you try to win but it's like trying to win life. Nobody wins life.

#7 Fgdsfg

Fgdsfg

Lrod-Iniquitsor

• Members
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 07:48 AM

Rogue Trader is quite possibly the opposite of what you are looking for, in that it is likely the least combat-oriented game in the entire WH40kRP line, with little to no dungeoneering. Easily, a majority of each scenario will be spent roleplaying, instead of rolling dices and facing clear and present dangers.

So not only do I think it's strange that you'd go looking to play roleplaying games without roleplaying, but you've also chosen to do so with the worst possible game.

• Erathia likes this

Real men earn their fun

Unified WH40kRP Ruleset Homebrew - Personal Notes
Talking Necrons. Dreadknights. Centurion Armour. Sororitas-murdering Grey Knights.
These things are dumb and do not exist. This is non-negotiable and undebatable.

#8 Mindlock

Mindlock

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 09:56 AM

It appears that you carry a completely different definition of roleplaying than I do. To me, Roleplaying involves using decription of actions to either improve odds or to replace the need for a roll. The other is in conversation to advance a story arc.

The type of Roleplaying I despise is stalling an important action that can say "save everyone on the ship". Roleplay has it's place, But the situation must be taken into account. I find it rather annoying when I can not take an action that can benefit the party over the fact that certain roleplaying styles and myself come to loggerheads.

I hope that this has clairified a few things. I think in an analitical mannerism. Each action or in character creation, is bent toward a purpose. It don't tend to bother with deep character backgrounds, It is what is done with the stat block that defines it.

#9 Fgdsfg

Fgdsfg

Lrod-Iniquitsor

• Members
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 10:06 AM

It appears that you carry a completely different definition of roleplaying than I do. To me, Roleplaying involves using decription of actions to either improve odds or to replace the need for a roll. The other is in conversation to advance a story arc.

The type of Roleplaying I despise is stalling an important action that can say "save everyone on the ship". Roleplay has it's place, But the situation must be taken into account. I find it rather annoying when I can not take an action that can benefit the party over the fact that certain roleplaying styles and myself come to loggerheads.

I hope that this has clairified a few things. I think in an analitical mannerism. Each action or in character creation, is bent toward a purpose. It don't tend to bother with deep character backgrounds, It is what is done with the stat block that defines it.

First, this might help you: http://en.wikipedia....e-playing_games

Second, please tell any and all groups that you apply for about your views and positions on roleplaying, so that they may opt out of having you in their groups, instead of having them realize it mid-game.

Third, when you say "I think in an analitical mannerism", all of us are just thinking "dyslectic autism".

Real men earn their fun

Talking Necrons. Dreadknights. Centurion Armour. Sororitas-murdering Grey Knights.

#10 Magellan

Magellan

• Members
  • 520 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 10:46 AM

I agree with Magellan. You have to enjoy roleplaying to like RPG's.

That is not what I was saying. I'm saying everyone is entitled to their opinion, and putting other people down for theirs - like most people responding to this thread have been doing - is bad. That in itself is an opinion, of course, but one which I feel very strongly.

And Fgdsfg, the guy did start this thread by telling everyone that he doesn't enjoy RP-heavy games. If that isn't a clear warning to anyone not interested, I don't know what is. I honestly think you're being way too harsh here.

#11 Misha

Misha

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 06:43 PM

My mistake, but I'm a guy who does LARP's and enjoys them. Just rolling dice is alien to me. I understand Mindlock's opinion and respect it but I was just saying my opinion. Which I hope you had the time to respect too. Maybe I was being too harsh but how was I harsher than the other posts.

#12 Errant

Errant

• Members
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 07:01 PM

To me it sounds like more of a board game than a roleplaying game. Something like Descent or Talisman. The character exists as a stat block, but is otherwise irrelevant. Each to their own, but it'd drive me crazy trying to run a game like that.

• Fgdsfg likes this

#13 Mindlock

Mindlock

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 04:42 PM

If anyone is looking for a decent gamer to fill a class void in a game feel free to reply. If not Do Not post your dislike of gamers on this thread or you will be reported. As stated above, I'm not a roleplayer. I have no problem describing actions and and speaking in character if the GM wants to limit dice rolls for a more immersive game. However I do not Tolerate roleplaying that hinders group progress or places the group into unnessessary harm.

That stated, I can have a character built in 5-10 minutes and In the past few games as Rogue Trader I have never lost a ship. Ship building is a natural science, own a good deal of the books.

Just keep in mind that only those looking for a player need post. Will not tolerate those who have an issue with gamers. Just looking for a decent game,Group and a few laughs.

#14 Magellan

Magellan

• Members
  • 520 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 02:48 AM

I don't think disliking gamers is against the rules, so I doubt you have much to gain by reporting anyone.

• Nameless2all likes this

#15 Misha

Misha

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 03:44 AM

a few laughs. Mindlock said this.

All I need. :)

• Errant likes this

#16 Braddoc

Braddoc

• Members
  • 716 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 10:54 AM

So, OP is a roll-player rather than a role-player. 

Right.

#17 Fgdsfg

Fgdsfg

Lrod-Iniquitsor

• Members
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 11:19 AM

If anyone is looking for a decent gamer to fill a class void in a game feel free to reply. If not Do Not post your dislike of gamers on this thread or you will be reported.

So?

As stated above, I'm not a roleplayer.

Then why are you playing a roleplaying game? I'm just telling you, you might be hard pressed to find non-roleplayers to play a roleplaying game with, on a roleplaying board for roleplayers roleplaying a roleplaying game.

• Kasatka and Nameless2all like this

Real men earn their fun

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS