Triple A-wing list after Rebel Aces

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Narcoleptic

Narcoleptic

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 11:26 AM

I started playing this game when wave 2 came out, because A-wings are my favorite ship, and so I've mostly flown A-wings ever since. The list I've run since pretty much the beginning is:

Tycho Celchu - Homing Missiles, Push the Limit, Stealth Device

Arvel Crynyd - Homing Missiles, Stealth Device

Green Squadron Pilot - Homing Missiles, Push the Limit, Stealth Device

Adding up to a total of 98 points, so I've pretty much always had initiative. The main philosophy of the list has been the fact that you can't kill what you can't hit. On countless occassions I've had my opponents getting frustrated over the fact that they don't land a single hit. Of course, it has it's price of a severely weakened offensive. In tournaments this list has mostly landed me in the top half, but never been a winner.

On a sidenote I've never seen anyone try something similar. Anyone here who has used a similar list or encountered someone who has? Just curious if I'm the only psycho around. :)

Anyway, I'm eagerly awaiting the Rebel Aces so I can improve my list and potentially even win something. I'm thinking something along the lines of Tycho, Jake, Arvel, all with PtL, Proton Rocket and SD. Having PS 6, 7, 8 is highly valuable when darting through enemy arcs, trying to find a good spot. Another option I've considered is this:

Tycho Celchu - Proton Rocket, PtL, SD, A-wing test pilot, Outmaneuver/Daredevil

Jake Farrell - Proton Rocket, PtL, SD

Green Sqd - Proton Rocket, PtL, SD, A-wing test pilot, VI

Which is essentially to give Tycho a further edge, as he is the one most likely to survive the longest. Daredevil would be to enhance his survivability and pretty much replace his K-turn when he is followed by a tail of stress tokens. Outmaneuver to increase the likelihood of actually killing something with his 2 attack dice. Or we can take Predator on Tycho and give Jake PS9 to help his placement. I have options now... it's scary... ._.

I'd pretty much like to hear some opinions and perhaps some suggestions on the lists. :)

• Syleh Forge likes this

Rebels: 5 A-wings, 2 E-wings, 4 X-wings, 2 HWK-290s, 1 Y-wing, 3 B-wings

I have a confession, I've never used my Y-wing, it's just there to look good :s

#2 Elkerlyc

Elkerlyc

• Members
  • 292 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 12:45 PM

My plan:

4 x Green Squadron Pilot (23), A-Wing Test Pilot (0), Chardaan Refit (-2), Push the Limit (3), Outmaneuver (3)

with 8 points left for my flavour of the day; named pilots. Proton rockets or a combination.

If you like Tycho Celchu try him with PTL/Outmaneuver & refit with 3 Greens (same outfit)

99 pts exactly.

2 red dice are not stellar but outmaneuver helps a lot.

Edited by Elkerlyc, 12 July 2014 - 12:48 PM.

• SpikeSpiegel and Hobojebus like this

History teaches us that men and nations behave wisely once they have exhausted all other alternatives.

#3 Narcoleptic

Narcoleptic

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 03:48 PM

That list might get a bit of trouble against ships with high maneuverability and higher PS. Saber sqdr pilots are enough to dodge those arcs and hit back. Then again, it depends a lot on your flying, do you intend to have them cooperate a lot and focus fire or will it be 4 one-man shows? The way I fly my A-wings is 3 one-man shows that may help each other out whenever one is being pursued. The missiles is a much appreciated alpha strike, as removing 1-2 ships really frees up some space early in the game. I will certainly try Outmaneuver on Tycho, depending on the impact it has I might try your idea. :)

#4 Elkerlyc

Elkerlyc

• Members
  • 292 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 03:56 PM

The general idea is to have focus/evade A-wings covering each other.

Tycho can handle the RG ints I think. Thach weaving A-wings do the rest. (I hope)

History teaches us that men and nations behave wisely once they have exhausted all other alternatives.

#5 AtomicFryingPan

AtomicFryingPan

• Members
  • 400 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 04:15 PM

I think Arvel will benefit the most from either daredevil so he can ram ships or predator so he can reroll without actions.

Rebel Fleet- 6 X-wings, 4 A-wings, 4 Y-wings, 3 B-Wings, 3 HWK-290, 1YT-1300, 3 E-wings, 3 Z95, 1 Transport, 1 Corvette.

Empire Fleet- 8 Tie Fighters, 2 Tie Adv, 4 Tie Int, 2 Tie Bombers, 2 Firespray, 1 Lambda Shuttle, 2 Defenders, 2 Phantoms

#6 ThePerfectCast

ThePerfectCast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 04:37 PM

I have always been a fan of the A-Wing myself. I'm an Alliance pilot but always loved the maneuverability of the A. I can't wait to get my hands on aces to expand my A-Wing game even further. Here's what I'm thinking for once it comes out.

Tycho - Chardaan Refit, Test Pilot, Push the Limit, Expert Handling (30)
Jake - Chardaan Refit, Test Pilot, Push the Limit, Out Maneuver (28)
Gemmer - Stealth Device (25)
Prototype Pilot (17)
(Total 100)

I understand the liability of playing a four ship squad without a big offensive punch, but this just looks fun to me. Giving Tycho expert handeling allows him to barrel roll (which he will get another stress for, but oh well) which makes your top two guys fully capable arch dodgers while Gemmer will try to get in close to enemies to maintain a high evade count which he can still focus, and then there's Proto, 'cause why not 4 ships?

#7 Elkerlyc

Elkerlyc

• Members
  • 292 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 04:42 PM

@ThePerfectCast;

Why not add Chardaan refit to Gemmer and have a green squadron pilot?

• Tycho Celchu (29), A-Wing Test Pilot (0), Chardaan Refit (-2), Push the Limit (3), Expert Handling (2)
  • Jake Farrell (28), A-Wing Test Pilot (0), Chardaan Refit (-2), Push the Limit (3), Outmaneuver (3)
  • Gemmer Sojan (23), A-Wing Test Pilot (0), Chardaan Refit (-2), Push the Limit (3)
  • Green Squadron Pilot (20), Chardaan Refit (-2), Push the Limit (3)

-> 100 pts.

Edited by Elkerlyc, 12 July 2014 - 04:43 PM.

• quasistellar likes this

#8 ThePerfectCast

ThePerfectCast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 04:50 PM

Cause I'm poor and will probably only buy one aces pack. Ha. That would be solid if I'm able to get a second though.

#9 Silver Crane

Silver Crane

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 05:11 PM

I think PTL on Jake is a bad choice.  I think Predator is better as PTL locks limits your next round's choices a bunch.  

#10 Kerfuffin925

Kerfuffin925

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 05:16 PM

it only leaves you without 8 manuvers, the K's and then the whites.

looking at it again that is quite a lot of options removed, but you still have 8 other choices.

and if you can find points you can always double uph

jake does come with a semi PTL when he foucses so that is alwasy nice and you could rely on that for arc dodging

Edited by Kerfuffin925, 12 July 2014 - 05:17 PM.

#11 Skargoth

Skargoth

• Members
  • 712 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 05:38 PM

Arvel still sucks butt. Gemmer is awesome for getting in people's faces though. Requires more precision, but much better.

You don't need to strip your miniatures, painting over is fine. No, there should not be a fourth faction, three is the magic number for countering flavor lists and to break up faction distribution. Someone else has likely thought up and posted your amazing new build, so you don't need to stroke your ego when reposting it. The prequels sucked and so would a game based on it. YES, there should be a Custom Forum for terrain and repaints! Moving on...

#12 Narcoleptic

Narcoleptic

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 06:02 PM

The A-wing generally have enough green maneuvers to do well despite pushing the limit every round. I've had many games with my current list where the green sqdr is the last ship alive, not because the opponent has focused other ships, just that it has survived, despite using only green maneuvers.

#13 Narcoleptic

Narcoleptic

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 06:07 PM

Arvel is fun against large base ships with lower PS. I trolled a shuttle with him once, by flying into it's back and continuing to do so for a few rounds in a row. Though that was after dealing with his TIEs.

#14 Silver Crane

Silver Crane

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 09:55 PM

The A-wing generally have enough green maneuvers to do well despite pushing the limit every round. I've had many games with my current list where the green sqdr is the last ship alive, not because the opponent has focused other ships, just that it has survived, despite using only green maneuvers.I

But with all the extra stress running around,  PTL isn't necessarily the be all, end all anymore.

#15 Lordtwann

Lordtwann

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 10:24 PM

I did a test build with Tycho using PTL and expert handling. It was glorious.
  • ThePerfectCast likes this

#16 Narcoleptic

Narcoleptic

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 07:23 AM

That was actually my first thought when I read about Prototype Veteran/A-wing test pilot. Barrel Rolling with Tycho.

#17 Gibarian

Gibarian

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 10:24 AM

This is my kinda thread. Can't wait for Aces to finally become street legal.

Definitely want to try out Tycho/Jake/Gemmer builds. And Jake/Tycho+Expert Handling for dual barrel-rolling A-Wings.

Another idea is Green + PTL or Predator + Refit x 5. Or Jake, Gemmer, and 2x Greens, with PTL and Stealth Device on everybody.

Edit: Also, using 4 A-Wings (Green or named pilots) with Wingman on everybody could be fun. I don't think I'm skilled enough to fly it yet, but being able to K-turn every round with every ship (until you start losing ships) would be hilarious.

Edited by Gibarian, 14 July 2014 - 10:40 AM.

#18 swimmingordy

swimmingordy

• Members
  • 653 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 11:14 AM

Anyone ever consider throwing expert handling on tycho? Who cares if he's taking another stress and that adds a barrel roll to his list of many actions... That with PTL could be powerful on a ship that needs to dodge arcs. No room for outmaneuver, sadly, but it could be good to stay in flanking position.

#19 FatherTurin

FatherTurin

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 12:03 PM

I'm going to try this squad:
Tycho: Test Pilot, PTL, Daredevil, Proton Rockets - 35
Green: Test Pilot, PTL, Wingman, Chaardan - 22
Green: Test Pilot, PTL, Wingman, Chaardan - 22
Prototype: Proton Rockets - 20
99 points

My plan is to run Tycho and the prototype to try and catch juicy targets with their R1 5 dice blast, and use the 2 greens together to ran around the flank, stripping stress off each other to keep them in the fight without resorting to green maneuvers, making them super unpredictable. I hope the proton rockets are enough to counter the low attack potential of the list.
My fleet: 3 X-Wings, 2 Y-Wings, 3 A-Wings, 2 Falcons, 2 B-Wings, 1 HWK, 2 E-Wings, 2 Z-95s, Rebel Transport, Corvette
3 TIE Fighters, 1 TIE Advanced, 1 TIE Interceptor, 1 Firespray, 1 Lambda
Can you tell I'm a rebel?

#20 Gibarian

Gibarian

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 12:12 PM

Might playtest in the next few nights for ***** and giggles:

Green Squadron (Test Pilot, Wingman, Adrenaline Rush, Proton Rockets)

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS