I need advice...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ctbinary

ctbinary

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 10:26 AM

My fiancee refuses to play ANR or LotR with me because she ses it as M:tG all over again. I've tried explaining to her the difference but she hates building decks. Anyone out there have advice on how I can get her into these games? I know she will like them, the themes are something she enjoys. Thanks in advance.

#2 Wh0isTh3D0ct0r

Wh0isTh3D0ct0r

• Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 10:51 PM

Easy. Don't worry about deck building until she gets used to the games. Just use the default decks that come with the core set. With the Netrunner core set alone there are 24 different matches to choose from.

Watch the tutorial videos and play some test rounds--not complete games--to help her get familiar with the basic rules.

Above all else, keep in mind that the more you push these games at her, the more she will associate them with negative feelings. Let her become interested in the games at her own pace. And if it comes down to it, be prepared to let it go. You may end up never getting her interested in these games. If you are not okay with that, then she will know it, so it will never truly be fun for her; it will simply be an obligation.

Trust me; I've learned these lessons the hard way, trying to get my wife interested in many of the games that I love. I've succeeded with some, but not with all of them. Sometimes, I just had to move on.

• skwizzle, etherial, CommissarFeesh and 2 others like this

X-Wing:

Spoiler
Netrunner:
Spoiler
Star Wars LCG:
Spoiler

#3 AmtsboteHannes

AmtsboteHannes

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 05:11 PM

Basically what the above poster said. If it's just the deckbuilding she dislikes, give her one of your decks (or a core deck). I assume you are going to build at least two decks anyway, just offer her to play with one of those. If she likes that idea it benefits the both of you, you get to playtest and she doesn't have to deal with building decks. Later on she may get into deckbuilding herself, maybe because she gets into a situation where a certain card would be useful (I guess that's how most people start) or maybe because it's comparatively easy to own every card in existence, which makes the whole thing somewhat different from MtG. Although if she doesn't, you'll have to accept that.

#4 Robin Graves

Robin Graves

• Members
  • 749 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 06:18 PM

I agree with Wh0isTh3D0ct0r.

Maybe the star wars LCG might be a solution? It has a slightly diffrent aproach to deckbuilding, where you can't choose every single card in the deck but pick from a handfull of mission and their associated cards. Less options might make deckbuilding easier. If she REALLY hates building decks you might be best rewared by checking out a game called "Smash Up" in wich you build a 40 card deck by taking two (20 card) factions and shuffling them together! Can't make deckbuilding simpler than that.

it also lets you play stuf like robot pirates vs zombie ninjas.

I hope FF don't mind me talking about AEG games on their forum

#5 etherial

etherial

• Members
  • 296 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 07:57 AM

Perhaps this is what you need:

http://www.shutupand...blog/post/test/

• Zebadiah likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS