• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 AgentJ

AgentJ

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 03:38 PM

Bah spelled campaign incorrect.

Players want to run as the bad guys and of course one player wants to play as a Sith. Not sure how I would change up the dice and skills. Was hoping to get some ideas from the forum users.

How would you change the force die so that it would be challenging like it is for a light side force user? Or would you change anything at all? If so what and why?

P.S.  -Not sure how to edit the post title.

Edited by AgentJ, 11 July 2014 - 03:42 PM.

#2 Plan b

Plan b

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 05:01 PM

I'd tell them no.

As they would starting been an inexperienced force user AT best, they want the to roll dark-side they can bloody earn it in play

Spend those force points and spend that strain enough (maybe get that force rating 2). The you can be dark side, and spend strain and force point to activate those light side points ().

But i'm a grumpy sod at heart.

#3 Aluminium Falcon

Aluminium Falcon

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 05:20 PM

Just a question...  How are they defining "Sith"?

I remember back in the day, any dark side Force User was casually called a "Dark Jedi"... Now people throw "Sith" around as a blanket term.

Canonically, in context of the time the game defauts to, there are only two Sith and aren'ty intended to be those guys.

Asajj never even acheived that status.

A "dark sider", however...  Well, that's different.

• SynysterDreamer likes this

#4 Ghostofman

Ghostofman

• Members
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 06:51 PM

I ran a 1shot where the players were seps during the clone wars not long ago, and there was a "sith" among them. Didn't really have to change much of anything at all.

Remember the force dice already include how the dark side plays in. Dark side pips are more common, but light side pips are more likely to come up doubles. So the dark side is easier to activate, but the light side will allow upgrade effects when it does work.

You might want to hang in there another month though and pick up the f&d beta.
  • LibrariaNPC likes this

MAGIC HEADPHONES PROTECT ME FROM THE SPACE!

#5 Shamrock

Shamrock

• Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 12:01 AM

Bah spelled campaign incorrect.

Players want to run as the bad guys and of course one player wants to play as a Sith. Not sure how I would change up the dice and skills. Was hoping to get some ideas from the forum users.

How would you change the force die so that it would be challenging like it is for a light side force user? Or would you change anything at all? If so what and why?

P.S.  -Not sure how to edit the post title.

As others have noted, starting as a sith is a pretty bad deal.  Acolyte maybe, but full on sith is pretty hard core.

I wouldn't change the dice... the light side is available to the bad guys as well, they just don't have a problem with the repercussions of using the black pips.  That said, its on the GM to make those repercussions mean something.   If it were me, I would do things like have a minor argument escalate very quickly... like haggling over a bagel price lead to someone in the hospital (more then likely the bagel sales person).   I once had a guy in a bar that bumped someone and got beer spilled on them. I had force lightening shooting at the poor drunk guy.  The player didn't do it.. I did it with the player's character to represent the dark side taking over his character, then again he wasn't playing his characters fall to any extent, so that kind of added to it for reasoning. You don't have to go to that extreme but the dark side should somehow represent a loss of control, something that most players don't do any justice to role-playing wise. 

IMO, He should also be treating the other party members as expendable and have no problem dangling them like a carrot on a stick to lure and ambush another NPC person. Most likely without their consent.   A dark side character's party should be around them out of fear.  They shouldn't want to be there, but are too scared to run.  That's when I know I'm hitting it right.  But its all on you or your GM how you wish to play it out.

Be well,

Sham

#6 Liloki

Liloki

• Members
  • 184 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:14 AM

Supposedly there will be coverage for falling to the Dark Side in Force & Destiny. With the Beta probably out around Gen Con you won't need to wait very long to see how FFG intends to handle it.

In the meantime I agree with previous sentiments they still need to pop Destiny and Strain to use Dark pips initially while they are on the early journey of their fall to the Dark Side.

Episode recaps of my ongoing EotE game: https://plus.google....771928262/posts

#7 R2builder

R2builder

• Members
  • 395 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:44 AM

I too like evil camping. :P

You can always play the Imperials, or other faction. I ran a Dark Side campaign a long time ago, in a system far far away.

They were Imperial special ops guys who were Force Sensitive, and worked for an Imperial Senator who could use the Dark Side of the Force. He taught them some special tricks. I really didn't have to change anything around. I don't think I would have to now either. The two Force specs can be used to great effect in both Light and Dark side adventures. Right now Edge and Age are not Force heavy, So playing Darth Maul type dudes is not too feasible. Good luck with your campaign, oh, and don't forget to bring the evil hot dog buns!! ;)  

Please check out our group and leave comments at: https://edge-of-the-...dianportal.com/

#8 BadMotivator

BadMotivator

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 12:18 PM

Make him use the light side points as normal, but if he uses enough dark side points(along with appropriate roleplay) using the normal system eventually you will allow him to switch to use Dark Side points with no penalty instead of Light Side.

Use this and/or wait till F&D comes out.

I am the lag on your server! I am the cluster of dead pixels! I am the rattle in your engine! I am the friction in your bearings! I am the wearing down of your joints! I am the crick in your neck! I am the cracked gasket! I am the short circuit! I am the corroded fluid duct! I am the imperfect weld! I am entropy!

I am the Bad Motivator!

#9 x13phantom

x13phantom

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 11:53 PM

Do you mean "EVIL" or do you mean psychopaths?

#10 segara82

segara82

• Members
  • 555 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:36 AM

Murder-hobos, been there, done that.

I would call it evil if it had more long-time goals like brutally subjugating a planet or several, building a crime syndicate/drug cartell and making live a hell for a whole lot of people for as long as they can.

Simply passing through and slaughtering everything is still evil, but only do-able for a limited time on limited places.

So, what is the EVUL goal of your party?

Courage is the mastery of fear - not the absence of fear

#11 Shamrock

Shamrock

• Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 02:30 AM

Supposedly there will be coverage for falling to the Dark Side in Force & Destiny. With the Beta probably out around Gen Con you won't need to wait very long to see how FFG intends to handle it.

I'm torn on this.... In a way I hope they don't, but just provide guidance in what is considered "not copacetic" as far as good.  I'm afraid if they provide actual mechanics for it, it's gonna give players a line to toe..  That "line" will turn into the "norm" instead of the exception.   Don't know, maybe I will like it too, having some "guidance" for a GM to handle the "fall".   Unfortunately, I also think too many people take "guidance" as the "rule", and start saying what can and can't be done.   See, I'm torn. I want them and I don't.

Edited by Shamrock, 23 July 2014 - 02:30 AM.

Be well,

Sham

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS