• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 DagobahDave

DagobahDave

Laser Brain

• Members
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 01:05 PM

So here's my first draft of a race scenario, totally untested. I could use a few more pairs of eyes looking at these to catch things I might have missed or goofed up before I give it a spin. I'm pretty happy with it so far, since it has everything I want in a Star Wars race: a tough objective, deep strategizing, fancy maneuvering, combat, the potential for teammates, and replay value.

Take a look and let me know what you think:

http://www.outworld-...la-Crucible.pdf

• Mikael Hasselstein likes this

Join the Unofficial X-Wing Galactic Campaign and propel your favorite faction toward victory every time you play!

#2 che

che

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 03:01 PM

I will definitively try it and give you my impressions, it seems to be very fun thpugh

• DagobahDave likes this

#3 Mikael Hasselstein

Mikael Hasselstein

• Members
  • 1,996 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 03:15 PM

FUN!

Another permutation would be to have the three non-assigned asteroid move a random distance in a random direction before (or after!) the movement dials are set.

• DagobahDave likes this

#4 DagobahDave

DagobahDave

Laser Brain

• Members
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 10:38 AM

Updated with lots of variant rules:

• MP7VRN likes this

Join the Unofficial X-Wing Galactic Campaign and propel your favorite faction toward victory every time you play!

#5 Mikael Hasselstein

Mikael Hasselstein

• Members
  • 1,996 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 12:52 AM

We played this one today with three participants (and six ships).

It was a lot of fun!

• DagobahDave likes this

#6 MP7VRN

MP7VRN

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 07:21 AM

very interesting! 

what about your campaign system? can you describe it in few words?

do what you must. the rest will follow. 

http://ythangagar.blogspot.co.uk   - YT-1300 smugglers hideout
http://mp7vrn.blogspot.co.uk  - general ramblings

#7 DagobahDave

DagobahDave

Laser Brain

• Members
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:30 AM

If you're asking about the Unofficial X-Wing Galactic Campaign...

There's a big map of the galaxy. Looks like this:

uxgc-small.jpg

It's an ongoing campaign that gathers up battle reports from players around the world. Any time you play, write down the squad lists and note who won the battle. Then choose one of the unconquered sectors on the map (the sectors with a ship marker on them are "conquered") and the winner of the match chooses which faction (Black Sun, Rebels or Imperials) gets a "win" in that sector. Then send that battle report to me by any means (email, post in the UXGC thread, etc.). At the end of each "phase" I compile the results and update the maps and the faction scores. This season, the Empire is pretty far ahead and the first faction to reach 50 points wins the season. When the season is complete, I'll reset the map and start fresh.

There are also certain "achievements" that can be unlocked and give special rewards to a faction, but that's all described on the UXGC page. Anyone can join the campaign, and every time you play you can contribute a battle report.

If you're interested in the full rules (which you don't really need to know in order to play -- just send in battle reports), click the link in my signature. You'll also find the full-size map and a record of all the battle reports submitted so far. Some players like to write up cool stories along with their reports.

• che likes this

#8 DagobahDave

DagobahDave

Laser Brain

• Members
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 11:04 PM

Updated with some new courses:

#9 Blail Blerg

Blail Blerg

• Members
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 04:24 AM

Racers of the Vidla Crucible:  How was the scenario?  Did it work?  Was it fun?  Was it balanced?  

ROLL RED, STAY THIRSTY FRIENDS. 

#10 DagobahDave

DagobahDave

Laser Brain

• Members
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 11:27 AM

We played this scenario the other day using the standard setup, no house rules, three players. We all had different ideas about what sorts of squads to run. I ran 3 cheap TIEs, Mike ran a cheap TIE and an Interceptor, and Kelley ran an E-Wing with extra cheese.

Both Kelley and I found it a lot of fun. I think Mike did, too, but the middle of the race was wobbly for him as his Interceptor was one-shotted. Ultimately I won with my last remaining TIE, Mike would've crossed the finish line the next turn, and Kelley's E-Wing would have come in third. Every ship had taken some damage and a lucky roll here or there might have taken both me and Mike out of the race.

Overall I think it's balanced enough that house rules aren't needed, but they're there if you want them. On the BGG thread about this scenario, one poster is concerned that Bounty Hunter + Engine Upgrade will run away with it. After playing it, my impression is that focus-firing from the rest of the field, or blocking with an interference-runner or lower PS ship, might prevent that from being a sure bet. But I'd love to see it!

Play time was just about right -- maybe 60 minutes including squad-building.

#11 Blail Blerg

Blail Blerg

• Members
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 12:46 PM

Actually the bounty hunter engine upgrade and maybe recon spec is exactly what I think would totally win it. As it removes the inherent disadvantage being in front. You can shoot backwards!
  • DagobahDave likes this

#12 DagobahDave

DagobahDave

Laser Brain

• Members
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 03:03 PM

Try it, it might work!

Some problems it might run into: It's going to have a huge target painted on it, and it won't necessarily have a clear path ahead because of the possibility of running "interference" ships. It's putting all of your eggs in one basket, which seems pretty risky. Also, navigating around/through a corner with just Range 1 to spare could cost it time while it wiggles back onto a sane trajectory.

Bomb, ion weapons, turrets all offer interesting advantages in this format, but have inherent risks as well.

If you do run this scenario, let me know how it went.

#13 Blail Blerg

Blail Blerg

• Members
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 12:32 AM

I would!  but I'm having trouble finding people to play with.  Especially, any who are good at the game.  

#14 Mikael Hasselstein

Mikael Hasselstein

• Members
  • 1,996 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 02:40 AM

Both Kelley and I found it a lot of fun. I think Mike did, too, but the middle of the race was wobbly for him as his Interceptor was one-shotted.

Yeah, that one-shot was disappointing. I was so going for the first finish had that not happened.

But that's the game, and if there isn't the danger of that happening, the game isn't exciting.

So, it was all great fun!

• DagobahDave likes this

#15 DagobahDave

DagobahDave

Laser Brain

• Members
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 01:17 PM

Another update, adding two new courses (using 3x6 play areas) and a sort of "black hole" optional rule called the Densis Rift. Thanks to the gang on the BGG forums for suggesting some great options.

Vidla Crucible:

This is probably the last update to this PDF for a while.

• BobbyM likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS