Corran Horn+ 2 green squadron pilots

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Elkerlyc

Elkerlyc

• Members
  • 280 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 04:04 AM

Yesterday evening (and morning actually) I had 3 games in a row.

My opponent is a dedicated Imperial player who was itching to try out the new stuff and I generally dislike 'blue on blue' games so I picked myself a rebel squad.

The obvious choice was an E-wing. (I had a desire to see 'new' ships too!)

We decided to have a pre-emptive sample of the new rebel aces and see how two A-wings would 'fit' with Corran horn.

Basic setup for all three games:

-Corran Horn & R2D2, 2x A-wing with PTL.

The remainder of the points used to tweak this setup

First game:

Corran Horn (44), R2-D2 (4), Veteran Instincts (1), Engine Upgrade (4)
Green Squadron Pilot (28), A-Wing Test Pilot (0), Proton Rockets (3), Push the Limit (3), Outmaneuver (3)
Green Squadron Pilot (28), A-Wing Test Pilot (0), Proton Rockets (3), Push the Limit (3), Outmaneuver (3)

vs:

Rexler Brath, 2x RGP+PTL, Obsidian

Verdict:

The 'scare' factor of the 5 potential dice at Range 1 is insane. My opponent went great lengths to avoid them at close range. Add a shield regenerating E-wing who can potentially doubletap anything in his gun sights in 1 turn... Basically once you get a good shot at range 1 and can kill something (esp. slippery RGP's) with a second shot; take it. Well worth the turn without shooting IMO.

Result; not a chance for the Imps. He felt like trying to catch an eel in a bucket of slime.

While trying to stay away from rb1. A-wings with evade/focus and outmaneuver are maddeningly effective. Both on offense and on defense. Corran often took an evade with a green maneuver (regenning shields) and was even worse in some ways.

Second game:

(bit of a brainfart; I wanted to see 'currently legal' A-wings. So no Chardaan refits/proton rockets. But promptly forgot that 'Awing test pilot' is not out yet. Ah well.)

Corran Horn (49), R2-D2 (4), Advanced Sensors (3), Push the Limit (3), Engine Upgrade (4)
Green Squadron Pilot (25), A-Wing Test Pilot (0), Push the Limit (3), Outmaneuver (3)
Green Squadron Pilot (25), A-Wing Test Pilot (0), Push the Limit (3), Outmaneuver (3)

99 points

VS:
"Whisper" (37), Veteran Instincts (1), Advanced Cloaking Device (4)
"Echo" (35), Veteran Instincts (1), Advanced Cloaking Device (4)
Doomshuttle + engine upgrade

Verdict:

Without a 'real' answer to Whisper (no turrets and/or ps9 ps) I went for eliminating the rest before trying to catch Whisper. Having initiative worked well. Poor Echo ended up in front of Corran and was obliterated in one turn. (shieldless and tokenless even 4 greens fail at rb1, esp. with a focus still in hand. TL used lining up first shot) PTL with AS is insanely effective on an E-wing.

The two A-wings were just as effective as the game before, but they lacked a bit of the scare factor (proton rockets). He called it a day when only Whisper was left facing a fully functional Corran Horn (R2D2= madness) and an A-wing.

The shuttle was wasted points. I could sneak (boost) past it and he never even got to shoot at my ships.

I feel that VI > AS/PTL vs slippery PS9 ships like Whisper/Soontir Fel but not all that much.

Even so; with VI being very cheap I lean to VI over PTL on the E-wing. Especially with a timely boost or barrel roll allowing you to get something in your possibly doubletapping gun sights...

Third game:

(now it was in the wee hours of the morning and my memories are getting fuzzy)

Corran (no engine upgrade but FCS/VI/R2D2 I think), Tycho Celchu (PTL/Outmaneuver) and Arvel Crynid (PTL)

vs:

2x RGP+PTL, Backstabber and PS1 Defender with Ion Cannon.

Verdict;

Named A-wings while fun, not even close as effective as simple greens for the points.

Once again the Empire got a brutal beating. I think the PS1 Defender is remarkably good for its cost. I may have to re evaluate that ship (at ps1 level I mean)

All things considered;

A-wings with PTL and Chardaan refit are insultingly effective.

Outmaneuver on A-wings with PTL turns them into slightly better versions of PTL ints. Without rockets/with Chardaan refit you pay 2 points less for a slightly better dial (5 green straight!), extra survivability (2hp/2shield vs 3 hp) while swapping barrel roll for target lock.

Just my 2 cts.

Peace. (unless in a galaxy, far far away)

Edited by Elkerlyc, 11 July 2014 - 04:08 AM.

History teaches us that men and nations behave wisely once they have exhausted all other alternatives.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS