Paper starfighters

• Please log in to reply
172 replies to this topic

#161 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 6,152 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 03:24 AM

The fact that proton torpedoes seem to be able to hit fighters very easy might be an issue too. I always thought that they would have trouble targeting small and fast things and were thus meant for the bomber role.

Ignore, Ignore, you must learn Ignore!

Now Ignoring: Nobody.

#162 RogueCorona

RogueCorona

• Members
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 03:47 AM

Yeah that's how they were portrayed in the EU novels and computer games though I don't think that they were ever portrayed that way in any of the rpg systems.

Edited by RogueCorona, 04 December 2014 - 03:47 AM.

#163 Kiton

Kiton

• Members
  • 375 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 06:33 AM

Yeah that's how they were portrayed in the EU novels and computer games though I don't think that they were ever portrayed that way in any of the rpg systems.

They're kind of the 'middle' road. For many starfighters, protons are about as heavy as they ever carry (there's no real reason they couldn't carry say half as many heavy rockets, but let's not get into that). However, they're still relatively maneuverable. Protons become what you use to damage capital vessel components, or, en-masse, destroy them. Lasers just happen to work here because shields do basically nothing if you're hit.

It certainly should not be wiping out a squadron of Interceptors the way it does, though. However, as neither piloting nor handling do anything at the moment for your survivability (that paragraph on shields is rather deceptive, as a single setback die is quite different from regenerative ablative HP) there's nothing to give the torpedoes more trouble against a B-Wing than against an A-Wing (until you have both the jammers online and tricky target, anyways).

#164 Ghostofman

Ghostofman

• Members
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 09:10 AM

The fact that proton torpedoes seem to be able to hit fighters very easy might be an issue too. I always thought that they would have trouble targeting small and fast things and were thus meant for the bomber role.

This one kinda got me too...

Though I guess the idea is the Guided rule makes the difference. Guided 3 vs Guided 2 is one more die...

Still I agree it's a tad strange...

MAGIC HEADPHONES PROTECT ME FROM THE SPACE!

#165 Kallabecca

Kallabecca

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 11:58 AM

going purely by Ep IV, proton torpedos seem to be very maneuverable. They take a 90 degree hard turn to dive into the shaft of the Death Star.

I don't trust the video games because they changed a lot of things for game reasons. Like how the shields seem to work. In the movies the shields didn't appear to do much to stop impacts. Most of the fighters that didn't take a glancing blow (or had plot armor) just blew up (X-wings and Y-wings). In the games the shields became able to take direct blows, were rechargable, were stackable, etc... and most of your opponents didn't have shields, so your survivability in the game was much higher.

Ion cannons in the movies take out a Star Destroyer in two hits (Ep V). In the games you can't disable a ship until you take down their shields.

#166 Ghostofman

Ghostofman

• Members
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 01:24 PM

Ion cannons in the movies take out a Star Destroyer in two hits (Ep V). In the games you can't disable a ship until you take down their shields.

Well this may just be something we haven't seen yet. Previous iterations usually had the KDY-150 as a purpose built super ion cannon specifically for shooting down capital ships in orbit...

#167 RogueCorona

RogueCorona

• Members
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 03:14 PM

Shields were stackable in the movies as well. In A New Hope Gold Leader has his Y-Wings switch the shields to double front as they start the trench run.

#168 zathras23

zathras23

• Members
  • 769 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 03:58 PM

Shields were stackable in the movies as well. In A New Hope Gold Leader has his Y-Wings switch the shields to double front as they start the trench run.

Which you can do in-game with the "Angle Deflectors" maneuver.

#169 RogueCorona

RogueCorona

• Members
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 04:50 PM

Yeah but Kallabecca was acting like that was something invented for the games rather then being seen in the movies.

#170 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 6,152 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 05:51 PM

Re: Guided

The lower value for proton torpedoes doesn't matter at all if the weapon hits on the initial attack roll--which it usually will.

Ignore, Ignore, you must learn Ignore!

Now Ignoring: Nobody.

#171 Kallabecca

Kallabecca

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 07:40 PM

Yeah but Kallabecca was acting like that was something invented for the games rather then being seen in the movies.

Double front... but the game let you build up double everywhere, not just redirect what you did have access to.

#172 Ghostofman

Ghostofman

• Members
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 07:42 PM

The lower value for proton torpedoes doesn't matter at all if the weapon hits on the initial attack roll--which it usually will.

I know, buy unless you noticed something more significant that's the best i got....

#173 Kiton

Kiton

• Members
  • 375 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 11:23 AM

Especially when backed by a fully modded targeting computer upgrade. Use no Force? Install one of these!

(or in this case don't turn it off and use intuitive strikes with it anyways).

Edited by Kiton, 05 December 2014 - 11:23 AM.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS