Cancelling trigger effects

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 IXIMrPinkIXI

IXIMrPinkIXI

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 03:37 PM

When you play an effect that targets a character or location do you have to target the character or location before your opponent gets the chance to cancel?

For example

I bring a black cells out of shadows, do I have to announce the character I want to target first, then my opponent chooses to cancel. Or does my opponent have to cancel it first before I choose?

#2 Bomb

Bomb

Cool Person Club

• Members
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 03:44 PM

When you play an effect that targets a character or location do you have to target the character or location before your opponent gets the chance to cancel?

For example

I bring a black cells out of shadows, do I have to announce the character I want to target first, then my opponent chooses to cancel. Or does my opponent have to cancel it first before I choose?

Yep.  Choosing applicable targets for an effect is done before the Save/Cancel response step.

• Devon Greatwolf likes this

#3 ktom

ktom

• Members
  • 7,569 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 03:45 PM

You have to choose first.

A cancel interrupts the initiation and resolution of an effect. The initiation is complete and done before the cancel can be played (that's why canceling doesn't "refund" any costs that are paid). Choosing targets is part of initiation, and so must be done before any cancels can be played.
  • Devon Greatwolf likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS