Magnetic Playmat Project

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 Funkleton

Funkleton

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 08:13 AM

I have been thinking along similar lines to this, but was struggling to find anywhere that sold the right materials.

Out of the blue  -(while searching for something completely different ....... naturally ), I came across this:

http://www.signwhole...t&product_id=77

http://www.signwhole...t&product_id=80

The first one is a magnetic plastic sheet - the second is a magnetically receptive sheet - in other words not magnetic itself but something that a magnet will stick to. I guess if you are using self-adhesive magnets on your bases you'll only need the second one.

The company offering this stuff don't do the printing, but they can arrange it for you if you supply the artwork and will ship it as a completed product - if I understood the sales person correctly the artwork would be printed on a separate vinyl sheet and then bonded to the magnetic material.

I'm awaiting a quote so I'll let you know what it comes to.

Edited by Funkleton, 22 July 2014 - 02:15 PM.

The Judean People's Front:

4 X-Wings, 2 Y-Wings, 1 YT-1300, 2 A-Wings, 3 B-Wings, 2 E-Wings, 4 Z-95 Headhunters, 1 HWK 290, 1 GR-75 Medium Transport, 1 CR-90 Corvette

The People's Front of Judea:

5 TIEs, 1 TIE Advanced, 3 TIE Interceptors, 3 TIE Bombers, 2 TIE Defenders, 1 TIE Phantom, 1 Lambda Class Shuttle, 1 Firespray 31

#22 Volund Starfire

Volund Starfire

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 10:45 AM

I like the idea about the magnetic sheet on the bottom of the graphics, but I'd have to make one small modification.  FFG suggests glueing a washer onto the bottom of the base to add a little bit of weight.  Wouldn't this be enough to magnetically attach it to the base with enough force to prevent light knocks or bumps, not to mention the little nudges with maneuver templates.

#23 overdesigned

overdesigned

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 10:52 AM

The problem I ran into with that is that virtually all of the magnetic sheeting products I could find had the magnetically strong side opposite that of the adhesive--so I'd be gluing my banner to the weak side, which has almost no magnetic attractive force.  I was worried that I wouldn't have enough magnetic strength to hold onto a washer, etc glued to the bottom of the ship base.  I decided to go with magnetically receptive material, which can have magnets grip both sides equally well, and put the magnets on the ship bases instead.

#24 Mud Turkey 13

Mud Turkey 13

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 11:37 AM

Where do you find the free Hubble images?

#25 overdesigned

overdesigned

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 11:44 AM

I got them from here:  http://hubblesite.org/gallery/album/

#26 Funkleton

Funkleton

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 06:45 PM

kickstarter

that is all

• rym likes this

4 X-Wings, 2 Y-Wings, 1 YT-1300, 2 A-Wings, 3 B-Wings, 2 E-Wings, 4 Z-95 Headhunters, 1 HWK 290, 1 GR-75 Medium Transport, 1 CR-90 Corvette

5 TIEs, 1 TIE Advanced, 3 TIE Interceptors, 3 TIE Bombers, 2 TIE Defenders, 1 TIE Phantom, 1 Lambda Class Shuttle, 1 Firespray 31

#27 Kaxel Vofer

Kaxel Vofer

• Members
  • 504 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 06:16 PM

WOW, it's an awesome idea, it give you the estability and don't let the ships move accidentaly in the game, congratulations, greettings.

"That the reward for you, don´t be so high".

Kaxel Vofer.

#28 Funkleton

Funkleton

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 07:56 AM

Just got a quote from a printing firm  who can do the whole job for me:

Further to your recent enquiry, I have pleasure in submitting our estimate to meet your requirements as follows.

Title:  Magnetic Banner.

Origination/Press: From PDF supplied

Proofs:

Colour: Four colour process one side only

Size:  914 X 914 mm

Material: Gloss Self Adhesive Vinyl

Finishing: Trimmed to size and mounted onto 0.5mm white plain faced Ferro. Packed suitably.

Delivery: To one UK address.

Price (ex VAT)
x1   £59.00

x5  £194.00

x10  £366.00

so about £72 including VAT (tax) and delivery for a one-off, or around £46 if I can find 9 other people who want one.

Edited by Funkleton, 22 July 2014 - 02:17 PM.

#29 Scizzler

Scizzler

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:53 AM

I have actually had the pleasure of having my face kicked in while playing on this magnetic mat, and it is to my great surprise that I log on today and see this topic and finally find this guy on FFG. I'm telling all of you, the photos and commentary really doesn't do it justice, it's one of the coolest additions I've ever seen to the game. Major props!

• UnfairBanana and overdesigned like this

Rebels: 6 X-wings 4 Y-wings 1 A-wing 2 B-wings 1 Falcon 1 HWK 1 GR75 Transport 1 E-wing 3 Z95's

Imperials: 8 Tie Fighters 2 Tie Advanced 3 Tie Interceptors 2 Firesprays 2 Lambda Shuttles 1 Tie Bomber 1 Tie Phantom 1 Tie Defender

#30 LeeCHeSSS

LeeCHeSSS

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 12:04 PM

Ah drat, bannersonthecheap doesn't ship to Europe :(

Anyone know a good alternative for vinyl banners for us Europeans (the sites I can find don't offer 3' x 3' for size)?

#31 Funkleton

Funkleton

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 04:20 PM

Ah drat, bannersonthecheap doesn't ship to Europe :(

Anyone know a good alternative for vinyl banners for us Europeans (the sites I can find don't offer 3' x 3' for size)?

just take a walk onto your local trading park - there's bound to be a few printing firms there - if they don't know what feet and inches are just ask them for a 914mm x 914mm printed banner - failing that get a 1m x 1m -  have them crop it for you down to that size, or just do it yourself,

if you can supply the graphics (you'll want a 300dpi image ideally) you should be able to pick the print up the same day.

#32 Funkleton

Funkleton

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 07:50 AM

I've spent the last week or so contacting various local printing firms to find one who could make me one of these at a price that wasn't exorbitant (some quotes were in the region of £200 each!!)

It took a while, but I finally found a local printing firm who were able to source a mag receptive sheet that can be printed on directly, and then apply a thin transparent veneer on top to protect the print., So it's a slightly different approach to the OP's technique of having a banner printed which then needs to be mounted on the mag receptive material.

While they're still not cheap, this brings the cost down significantly.

They were even kind enough to make up a quick and dirty prototype for me to take home and try out free of charge.

I've ordered 2 for myself - 1 3x3, 1 6x3 and 4 3x3 mats that I'm going to put on eBay to hopefully make my money back.

ps - sorry about the crap pics :D

TfN6KwN.jpg

DyYqUvm.jpg

31VOiuq.jpg

• overdesigned likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS