• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Denis7

Denis7

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 07:25 AM

Great game, but...

Daqan and Uthuk archers aren't really very useful in usually fast VP-achievement games with in average 2-3 units working in each turn.

They throw only two dice, and it's actually ONE, because melee unit kills with two outcomes of dice: [X] and [ \ ]  , but archers kill only with one: [O]  .

extra properties (double shot or poison) also add very little.

These settings maybe useful with long campaign with big starting distance between armies. or in very narrow fighting zone.

May be something needs to be changed in these units.(price,fire power...)
or special scenarios should be created for them.

Or if somebody have fond effective way to use arches , I'll be glad to found out. :)

Thank you

#2 cleardave

cleardave

• Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 01:42 PM

Daqan archers can be quite good if you have them in solid positions, then play Darken the Skies.  That's 3 units doing 3 attacks each, assuming they didn't move.

If you combo that with Enchanted Arrows, you can really wreck your opponent's day; great for clearing out Chaos Lords and units in a building.

#3 LongDarkBlues

LongDarkBlues

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 02:36 PM

They aren't very useful for direct damage, no, but they are awesome for forcing units to retreat from victory point locations, which is as likely as inflicting damage.

#4 cleardave

cleardave

• Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 05:57 PM

They aren't very useful for direct damage, no, but they are awesome for forcing units to retreat from victory point locations, which is as likely as inflicting damage.

As likely, and just as useful, depending on the scenario, the game state, location of VP hexes, etc.  I'll take a retreat if it means you put a unit holding a building into the hex behind it.  If you're scaring the unit off a VP hex, they have to waste an activation just to take it back, instead of pushing something more aggressive against your lines.

I find this game to very tactical, meaning that you can't really plan for too much ahead of time.  The system provides to many variables in terms of how you're able to move around the board and attack, so you're really only able to plan a turn or two ahead tops, and that's without the variance coming from the Lore deck.

#5 Denis7

Denis7

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 04:31 AM

Yes, you right , game is very tactical

but still, to force enemy unit  out of VP-hex, melee or flying unit can do as well with more dices (=more chances) and also to take this hex after attack. 

and combo of lorecard are good, but it's more in hand of fate so, it hard to count on it.

And for mellee units there also many good combos.

Only benefit of archers is 4 hexex range is often netrualized by blocking terrain or blocking friendly units.

I really love archery in common, and I would like to use archers in game, but right now, they are not as usefull as their foe units

#6 cleardave

cleardave

• Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 04:44 PM

For forcing enemies out of hexes, sure, a melee unit can do it too with more dice, but they have to get there first, whereas the archers can jump on a hill or other terrain piece and cover a critical area from there.  Again, it's hard to make catch-all strategies for this game, and I would honestly say that if you're getting better results without them, stick to that.

If your playstyle works better that way, don't fight it, and you'll have better games.

#7 Denis7

Denis7

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 12:00 PM

For forcing enemies out of hexes, sure, a melee unit can do it too with more dice, but they have to get there first, whereas the archers can jump on a hill or other terrain piece and cover a critical area from there.  Again, it's hard to make catch-all strategies for this game, and I would honestly say that if you're getting better results without them, stick to that.

If your playstyle works better that way, don't fight it, and you'll have better games.

Thank you  for your support)

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS