• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Thom Servo

Thom Servo

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 09:38 PM

Is it possible to cheat on OCTGN?

I just played with someone whose card were black so I had no idea what the cards or their abilities were and he kept flipping between two attack cards and dealt me 15 pts of damage on all my objs in one turn and just so fast I had no idea what he was doing.

Has anyone else dealt with this? Doesn't make for a fun game.

Edited by Thom Servo, 09 July 2014 - 09:38 PM.

X-Wing Minis:

Spoiler

Star Wars LCG:

Spoiler

#2 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

The Uncanny One

• Members
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 10:38 PM

My first suggestion is to just ask how he did that before either of you quit. I had a similar situation where I was all set to defend at the end of my turn, then suddenly I had a focus token on my defender and all my objectives were destroyed unopposed. I asked how that happened and the other player reminded me of Kyle's reaction to place a focus token when he enters play.

I must say however, that it is unfortunate that people go so fast on OCTGN. If you don't figure out a reaction happened until well after the phase is over, then something is majorly wrong. That's a big reason why I just don't bother with OCTGN.

As for whether somebody can cheat or not. I'm not sure. I imagine it's possible, especially if automation is turned off.

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#3 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,136 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 04:05 AM

If you hover over the cards you can still see their name and stats. They're black due to a missing image pack. Probably newer cards.

#4 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,328 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 04:24 AM

If you hover over the cards you can still see their name and stats. They're black due to a missing image pack. Probably newer cards.

Occasionally, OCTGN does glitch or not connect correctly and all you'll see is black rectangles (including nothing when you hover).  It's been a while since I've had that happen, but I usually just quit OCTGN and restart when it does.

#5 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,136 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 04:46 AM

If that's the case how did the opponent know what the cards were ? Sometimes OCTGN is not worth it.

#6 Thom Servo

Thom Servo

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 05:43 AM

The pictures are blacked out and there is some weird code on there like BD-3: blah, blah so I have no idea what I'm up against.

X-Wing Minis:

Spoiler

Star Wars LCG:

Spoiler

#7 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,136 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 06:47 AM

The pictures are blacked out and there is some weird code on there like BD-3: blah, blah so I have no idea what I'm up against.

Blast damage 3. That's due to not having image packs for some of the cards. 

#8 st1200L

st1200L

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 01:36 PM

The person wasn't exactly cheating, but they might have been going too fast, which I have the tendency to do as well on OCTGN and probably need to be more conscious of when playing against newer players or just those who might have a slower internet connection or even others that English is not their first language.  I suggest that you subscribe to OCTGN for $3 per month to get the images, or if you feel so inclined you can scan your own images and insert them into the image file for OCTGN on your computer if you have purchased the real cards.  There are tutorials if you search the Internet on how to do this.  Your opponent hasn't done anything to black out the cards intentionally so that you can't see them, you just need the images.  Of course you could also skip all of what I have mentioned and just have a reference list of all of the new cards for you to refer to to while you are playing and you can also pretty quickly pick up on what BD and others mean from the actual cards.  If you have any further questions you can PM me.

#9 wowofifa

wowofifa

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 07:11 PM

Toqtamish answered things pretty well.  I'd just like to add that in the long run, having two core sets, and two Edge of Darkness sets will give you more consistent decks.  Although those two products are the only ones you'd ever "need" two of.  Everything else will come with a complete playset (two copies of each non-"limit one" objective set).

Old School RS Gold

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS