Eternal Lies?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Veteres

Veteres

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 05:07 PM

After another disappointing lecture of a Warhammer Grand Campaign (TEW2) I have turned to the Cthulhu products line.

SPOILERS

Again, that is. I love the WH setting but the stories are a bit ... ah.
For some 10 years I've wandered if somrthing as a grand as Masks of Nyarlathotep could be converted to Warhammer. I never came to it as I envisioned it to be to much of work and because some of my players were to a level familiar with the Masks storyline.

Then 2 weeks ago... in my dispair ... I stumbled upon Trail of Cthulhu: Eternal Lies.
more than halfway through the 400 pages campaign and what a revelation!

SPOILERS!

All WH chaos gods themes are present as the story of hideous drugabuse, abismal fornication, primeaveal cagefights and blasphemous demon invocation is narrated. In an impressive synoptic format the pc are encouraged to research a terrible family secret. This is the rather innocent hook that will send the pc all over the globe; a metropolis (Altdorf?), 2 big coastal cities/harbours (Marienburg and Miragliano?), a colony on a dessertcoast (Southlands/araby?), jungle (Lustria?)...

Anybody out there also contemplating this same conversion?
  • k7e9 likes this

#2 k7e9

k7e9

• Members
  • 844 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 10:01 PM

I think Call of Cthulhu adventures can be easily converted into the warhamnmer setting. Investigation and horror fit well in the warhammer world, so with the change of some names of the gods it's pretty much done.

Not doing the same conversion as you, but your suggestions seems sound and Eternal Lies is a good campaign, I've played part of it as a playtester (look for Markus in the "playtesters" section, that's me ;) ). But I have done conversion from other systems to WFRP 3ed and it's actually quite easy and can be done on the fly to a large degree.

Good luck on the conversion. :)

#3 valvorik

valvorik

• Members
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 05:53 AM

I have contemplated Masks but have 2 players who were in it (one GM'd it) so skipped.

I thought about Eternal Lies, even pondering at one point re Enemy Within 2, "hmmm, perhaps Clothilde's father..." (Eternal Lies starts with a well off woman sending PC's to follow up on things her father was looking into before he died) but then moved idea to back burner just because the game moved in another direction etc.

• k7e9 likes this

#4 Carcosa

Carcosa

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 06:52 AM

Speaking of lovecraftian things, how about Titus Crow's Clock as a method of exploring other time periods in the warhammer world?

• Emirikol likes this

#5 Veteres

Veteres

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:21 AM

I have finished reading through the campaign book. It took me a while, but what a treat -that is the full 400 pages! Reading the campaign finale gave me goosebumps.

On thinking over the WFRP (3ed) conversion only one or two aspects of the campaign seem troublesome:

SPOILERS   ETERNAL LIES SPOILERS   ETERNAL LIES SPOILERS

1. Not the locale of M.C. itself poses a problem ... but the local cult's anomalous veneration of the god-being does. 

The cult wants to convert/influence parts of humanity by means of music distribution -gramophone records with the voice of the god-being, instead of distributing the Nectar drug. What would be a good early renaissance alternative for this? Perhaps Leticia de la Luz can be introduced as an opera singer and the cult wants to influence groups of citizen in the Bilbali opera houses?

2. If players in a Eternal Lies campaign want to economically follow up trails from Los Angeles, most likely they will start in Mexico, then go to Malta and Ethiopia and finish in Bangkok (with the PC consistently choosing the nearest destination to investigate).

My first idea would be to convert LA in Altdorf, Mexico in Bilbali, Merida and Yucatan in the New World/Lustria, Malta in Miragliano or Saratosa, Ethiopia in New Coast/Southlands and Bangkok in Marienburg. Obviously above mentioned logic will stumble over this conversion. Does anybody know if this would pose a problem?

Applying the same logic in WFRP the PC's would first go to Marienburg, then to Bilbali and Saratosa. One could wonder if they would ever want to go to Lustria. Just visiting all locales once would take the PC 3 to 5 years using early modern traveling techniques ... and EL implies that Investigators might see the need to visit different locales more than once. Wouldn't it be better to convert all EL locales within the Empire or the Old World in order to reduce the in-game time course? 

#6 valvorik

valvorik

• Members
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 10:52 AM

Not sure of answers to those.  In a Rennaissance world I think the "printed word" being twisted is more apt a means to convey something, living writing etc.

The whole "multiple points of intrusion" thing is a bit high stakes but could be combined with something like the Twisted Paths of the Old Ones (that go all over but are now falled to corruption) to produce similar result.

One thing generally - part of the "fun" in Eternal Lies is "which classical villain is it" (very much a Cthulhu gamer issue where "oh, Tuesday, it's Nyarlathotep" gets tiresome) and the answer behind that.  That would be good to keep in a conversion and the "battling, using each other, fighting each other" rival Chaos cults work well with that as well as the "rival to all" other powers (Nagash, Hornded God)

On related point, if using Eternal Lies the FAQ here may be useful.

http://www.pelgranepress.com/?p=13264

#7 MaSc

MaSc

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 01:10 PM

This sounds like a great idea. I just ordered my copy of Eternal Lies.

I'm looking to keep the adventures within the Empire. There are many exotic locations within the Empire, like Drakenwald of the Grey Mountains. This will take more conversion work, but I think it is worth it.

#8 Veteres II

Veteres II

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 03:02 PM

Registration Reboot -am now Veteres II.

SPOILERS     SPOILERS       SPOILERS

2 sessions into the campaign and all is well.

The players are currently visiting the Juliuspitaal. This state-funded hospital/sanitarium, sits on top of a 50m high cliff, overlooking the small town of Gersdorf am Stir in Talabecland. The players travelled to Gersdorf following the request of Gretel von Ramrodt, daughter and sole heir to Merx von Ramrodt, a.k.a. Melanchton -a wealthy Averheim merchant/pharmacist that recently passed away. 

In Gersdorf am Stir the players are visiting Reinhard Schenk on Gretel's request. Schenk was a former companion of her father and she hopes he will be able to shed some light on the things that happened to him in 2511 and changed him for ever after. At the Juliuspital the pc's learn that some 13 years ago Melanchton led a group of investigators on the trail of a Black Lotus gang but ended up documenting something quiet more sinister...

On visiting the sanitarium Pecalion (Light Wizard) ended up being bitten by a mental patient. Meanwhile Heinrich Fleich (Roadwarden) thinks he hallucinated and saw an animated sickly human mouth appear out the ceiling, soundlessly forming words at him... and Reinhard von Üblingen (the gold tier foppish Agent) was stalked by doctor Adam Schiller, the overambitious director of the underfunded Juliuspital.

7 Hours of great TOC-inspired WFRP fun so far with a minimum amount of conversion -some new names for NPC and changing early 20th century logistics and sciences to 16th century stuff. Easypeasy. Hardest part so far (but lots of fun) was the making props, including some 12 tea-stained letters from Schenk to Melanchton (tried them in full Elisabethan style), location templates, clue cards and NPC cards. Happy to share them -though in Dutch.

I am planning to locate the Los Angeles chapter in Nuln -which will be next stop after Gersdorf. Parravon will be my Malta chapter, Marienburg my Bangkok, Bilbali New Mexico, with Lustria substituting the Yucatan. The Southlands will work perfectly as an alternative for Ethiopia . As for my former problem with the New Mexico cult, with the music recording etc. -found a solution after reading Valvorik's suggestions: the chapter will feature the Estertores de Pasion, Estalian opera sheet music of haunting quality (based on Throes of Lust, from Books and Printed Matter in Liber Fanatica).  

#9 valvorik

valvorik

• Members
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 09:08 AM

If you haven't, be sure to check out pelgrane press's page xx etc. materials which include some material about this campaign and approaches to it - intended for its original use/CoC conversion but perhaps useful to other conversions such as the FAQ points about clues etc.

http://www.pelgranep...10#Eternal_lies

#10 Nimsim

Nimsim

• Members
  • 751 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 03:16 PM

I have finished reading through the campaign book. It took me a while, but what a treat -that is the full 400 pages! Reading the campaign finale gave me goosebumps.

On thinking over the WFRP (3ed) conversion only one or two aspects of the campaign seem troublesome:

SPOILERS   ETERNAL LIES SPOILERS   ETERNAL LIES SPOILERS

1. Not the locale of M.C. itself poses a problem ... but the local cult's anomalous veneration of the god-being does. 

The cult wants to convert/influence parts of humanity by means of music distribution -gramophone records with the voice of the god-being, instead of distributing the Nectar drug. What would be a good early renaissance alternative for this? Perhaps Leticia de la Luz can be introduced as an opera singer and the cult wants to influence groups of citizen in the Bilbali opera houses?

2. If players in a Eternal Lies campaign want to economically follow up trails from Los Angeles, most likely they will start in Mexico, then go to Malta and Ethiopia and finish in Bangkok (with the PC consistently choosing the nearest destination to investigate).

My first idea would be to convert LA in Altdorf, Mexico in Bilbali, Merida and Yucatan in the New World/Lustria, Malta in Miragliano or Saratosa, Ethiopia in New Coast/Southlands and Bangkok in Marienburg. Obviously above mentioned logic will stumble over this conversion. Does anybody know if this would pose a problem?

Applying the same logic in WFRP the PC's would first go to Marienburg, then to Bilbali and Saratosa. One could wonder if they would ever want to go to Lustria. Just visiting all locales once would take the PC 3 to 5 years using early modern traveling techniques ... and EL implies that Investigators might see the need to visit different locales more than once. Wouldn't it be better to convert all EL locales within the Empire or the Old World in order to reduce the in-game time course? 

I dunno if you could still use these, but here are my thoughts.

1) An opera singer is good, as is having the song be transmitted in concert halls. Another idea is traveling bards who go to taverns to sing the song. Another idea is that the group puts out the songs as hymns to Sigmar to be played in the Sigmarite church. Attendance in the churches has been going up rapidly, and no one knows why.

2)Definitely go for keeping things within the Old World. I don't know the specifics of the local flavor used in the locations for Eternal Lies, but you should be able to find some suitable things in the Old World. Just consider how geography is used for the locations and how culture is used. The Border Princes can be fun since it's basically about making up a culture. Honestly, it could be fun to change up the campaign a bit by seeing how it taking place in iconic old world locations would modify it. How would it be affected by taking place some in Brettonia? Sylvania? What about a Journey into the World's Edge mountains? Kislev or Norsca. Try approaching it that way.

Basically, my advice to you is not to just go for 1:1 analogues but instead figure out how the interesting parts of the warhammer setting could modify the adventure in cool or fun ways.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS