Supporting Rexler Brath: Builds

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Darth Ruin

Darth Ruin

• Members
  • 331 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 04:20 PM

Rexler Brath, HLC, Outmaneuver. 47 points for a beast that can (theoretically) put down 4 Crits at Range 3 with -1 (-2 for all practical purposes) to agility. 

The question then, what do you support him with? 

4 Academy Pilot

Engine Upgrade on Rexler

The first natural Imperial response, throw some TIE's into it. This frees up 4 points for Engine, which is great on the Defender, and 1 point for initiative. Simple, effective. 

3 AP

Backstabber

Gives slightly more of an edge if the opponent goes for Rexler first, which is the correct response against this squadron. Problem is if he goes for the Swarm, Backstabber is useless and you'd rather have Engine upgrade on B-dawg. 

Sigma FCS+Stygium

2 AP

Basically a better version of the above list; Forces the opponent to choose between dealing with Rexler and dealing with a Phantom+FCS. Most players will choose to take on the relatively squishier Phantom. Is a Phantom worth 2 APs? possibly, probably not...  

Carnor Jax+PTL

2 AP

Personally I think Carnor is underrated and extremely fun to fly; He's the only ship that truly rewards pinpoint positioning and really punishes a turned flank. The only thing that lets him down is those fickle green dice and his piddling 3 HP, which leaves him just outside the competitive spectrum. Is Carnor Jax worth 2 Academy Pilots in the current meta? Sadly not. 

Jendon+ST-321

2 AP

Considering Rexler needs some way to modify attack dice or he'll never ever use his ability, Jendon seems the most natural fit. After getting a lock in turn one Brath speeds off to turn the flank while Jendon takes his time acquiring target locks for an opening engagement with every ship firing with TL+Focus. The weakness is that you let the opponent dictate the tempo of the game, as you have to play slow in the opening stages to gain full use of Jendon's ability and title. Also, once Rexler and the TIEs are dead, Jendon is a sitting duck. 

OGP + Ion + Tactician + FCS

2 AP

Probably the most competitive option; Shuttle presents a tactical dilemma; Turn into Rexler and take ion and stress from the shuttle, or turn into the Shuttle and take damage from Rexler while the Shuttle ion and stresses you. Both are bad choices. 

Vessery+Outmaneuver+HLC+Engine

Engine on Brath

The comedy option, flying two Defenders is pretty hilarious if you alternate running away and chasing. 

BH, Rebel Captive/Recon Spec

Backstabber

Somewhat lacking in overall damage, probably an annoying list if flown correctly but sadly middle-tier.

Echo + VI+RebCap+Adv Cloak+FCS

AP

Fun to fly but probably a little too squishy, and doesn't sync well as a squishy anvil to Rexler's hammer. 

Jonus+Flechette+Munitions Failure+Deadeye

Scimitar+Assault+Cluster+Seismic

Could be interesting, if a little reliant on the alpha strike. Relies heavily on Brath to carry the late game. 

Any other ideas? 

#2 Lagomorphia

Lagomorphia

• Validating
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 04:23 PM

Jonus is a great pairing with HLC Rexler, especially Predator HLC Rexler: it's effectively a full TL as you're likely to roll at least one hit. In an Epic game my heavy attack brigade was Rexler, Jonus and Krassis.

Edited by Lagomorphia, 09 July 2014 - 04:24 PM.

#3 Vorpal Sword

Vorpal Sword

O frabjous day!

• Members
  • 2,759 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 06:07 PM

Rexler Brath, HLC, Outmaneuver. 47 points for a beast that can (theoretically) put down 4 Crits at Range 3 with -1 (-2 for all practical purposes) to agility. 

Why Outmaneuver? Predator seems like a more natural choice, since it allows you the no-action dice modification you really want.
  • Silver Crane, Sithborg and McBain like this

#4 Buhallin

Buhallin

• Members
  • 3,186 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 06:15 PM

Why Outmaneuver? Predator seems like a more natural choice, since it allows you the no-action dice modification you really want.

I do exactly this.

• Silver Crane likes this

#5 Sp00n

Sp00n

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 07:27 PM

Any thoughts on a Brath+Predator, Doom Shuttle, Scimitar+seismic x2 build?  I'm dying to try it, but have been unable to yet.

• Eruletho likes this

#6 rym

rym

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 08:59 PM

I like that build Sp00n.

I flew Brath last night for the first time and, man, he is sooo much fun! It was an unmodified list (Brath & Echo & Whisper) against Jonus and 3 Scimitars and Brath pretty much single-handedly took out my opponent's army. I used Brath's ability every single time, and even if it was for just one hit, the ability to flip a damage card face up is huge!

Watching all those poor Bombers fly around with, in some cases, multiple critical damages was awesome. Even my opponent thought it was pretty cool. Which led me to ponder the following list for the Regionals tournament coming up in 2 weeks.

At it's core:

Rexler Brath

Scimitar Squadron Pilot + Seismic Charges (there really isn't a better ordinance outh there for the cost, hands down) x 3

It's 91 points which leaves room for Flechette Torpedos and some type of upgrade for Brath. Anyway, I certainly don't mean to derail this thread, I just wanted to mention that Brath is awesome and whatever build you put him in should be fine.

• shintaibane and Sp00n like this

#7 McBain

McBain

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 09:03 PM

I like your first option and sub in Predator for Outmaneuver.

4 Academy Pilot

Engine Upgrade on Rexler

#8 Darth Ruin

Darth Ruin

• Members
  • 331 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 10:25 PM

Statistically, Outmaneuver does more damage than Predator since Brath already can TL (and should in the first engagement at Range 3 if you get the flank). Re-rolling damage dice is less important than -1 Agi, especially against Falcons and B-Wings and Phantoms. 

Edited by Darth Ruin, 09 July 2014 - 10:25 PM.

#9 executor

executor

• Members
  • 492 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 10:26 PM

solid idea guys

can't wait to try this out

Current Fleet

Rebellion: 5 X-wings, 3 Y-wings, 6 A-wings, 4 B-wings, 1 HWK-290, 1 YT-1300, 2 E-wings, 1 Z-95, 1 Rebel Transport, 1 CR-90

Empire: 8 Tie Fighters, 2 Tie Advanced, 9 Tie Interceptors, 3 Tie Bombers, 1 Lambda Shuttle, 3 Firespray 31's, 2 Tie Phantoms, 2 Tie Defenders, 1 VT-49 Decimator

#10 McBain

McBain

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 10:29 PM

Statistically, Outmaneuver does more damage than Predator since Brath already can TL (and should in the first engagement at Range 3 if you get the flank). Re-rolling damage dice is less important than -1 Agi, especially against Falcons and B-Wings and Phantoms. 

I would have thought you want Predator to free up Rexlar's action to Focus so he can actually use his ability.

#11 executor

executor

• Members
  • 492 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 10:37 PM

I would have thought you want Predator to free up Rexlar's action to Focus so he can actually use his ability.

i'm sure he means to use the target lock the next turn

however just because he has his ability doesn't mean you should just force yourself to have less hits just to use it

if it's the difference between getting in 1-2 hits vs getting in 3-4 hits because i rolled a couple of eyes on my red dice.. i'm not going to save it for a couple crits.. i'd rather put more damage through

Current Fleet

Rebellion: 5 X-wings, 3 Y-wings, 6 A-wings, 4 B-wings, 1 HWK-290, 1 YT-1300, 2 E-wings, 1 Z-95, 1 Rebel Transport, 1 CR-90

Empire: 8 Tie Fighters, 2 Tie Advanced, 9 Tie Interceptors, 3 Tie Bombers, 1 Lambda Shuttle, 3 Firespray 31's, 2 Tie Phantoms, 2 Tie Defenders, 1 VT-49 Decimator

#12 Vorpal Sword

Vorpal Sword

O frabjous day!

• Members
  • 2,759 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 10:41 PM

Statistically Outmaneuver always does (a bit) more damage than Predator, but that's not really relevant. As McBain says upthread, the idea is to free up Brath's action so he can focus each round and trigger his ability more often.
  • admat likes this

#13 McBain

McBain

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 10:47 PM

Statistically Outmaneuver always does (a bit) more damage than Predator, but that's not really relevant. As McBain says upthread, the idea is to free up Brath's action so he can focus each round and trigger his ability more often.

I'm no maths guy - But I would prefer the Pred and Focus so you have the defensive option if you roll well and are just taking shields before you can eat into their Hull. Plus we have all seen what 3-4 unmodified green dice can do...

Edited by McBain, 09 July 2014 - 10:48 PM.

#14 AlexW

AlexW

• Members
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 11:24 PM

Valid points about Predator vs. Outmaneuver generally. One situation I think might be interesting to consider is that if we continue to see more falcons because of Phantomphobia, I would prefer outmaneuver when facing a falcon (doubly so paired with Brath when facing C3PO on Chewie) because it's is far easier to get the benefit from it.

Edited by AlexW, 09 July 2014 - 11:24 PM.

• Vorpal Sword likes this

#15 Silver Crane

Silver Crane

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 11:33 PM

Right now my Rexler build of choice is Rexler with Pred,   Vessery with VI, and a OGP with either ST-321 or a Weapon Engineer.  This bumps Vessery to an 8 and lets him strip shields for Rexler while at least making Phantoms have to think a bit more.

#16 Darth Ruin

Darth Ruin

• Members
  • 331 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 01:29 AM

Triggering Brath's ability in general is difficult, even when you have a TL+Focus, you want to use the Focus for defence. 

Also the shielding on most ships precludes the use unless you're fighting TIEs and such. I prefer to take TL at range 3 and hold for the killing blow, but obviously your tactics shift depending on the ship you're fighting. 

#17 Dagonet

Dagonet

• Members
  • 1,780 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 01:45 AM

Pairing with Vessery is counterproductive to me, you'll either forgo the use of Rexler's or Vessery's ability.
A two Defender build I would make with
Rexler
Decoy
HLC
Engine Upgrade
As soon as they exist Proton Rockets, otherwise leave missile slot empty

Onyx Squadron Pilot
HLC
Engine Upgrade
Ion Pulse Missiles

Looks like a fun list to fly, but does need a certain ability in maneuvering bevause you only have two ships. With the Decoy you can delay Rexler if need be to maximize his potential while still staying in front of most swarms.

MajorJuggler's collection of useful links. A must for all players new or old.

#18 Dagonet

Dagonet

• Members
  • 1,780 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 02:01 AM

But I do feel Rexler will really start to shine when Wave 5 swings around as then you can really start to build to his ability with Proton Rockets and the Fleet Officer.

Maybe do something with Kir Kanos as well, such as:
Rexler
Decoy
Proton Rockets
Engine Upgrade

Kir Kanos
Stealth Device

OGP
Fleet Officer
Advanced Sensors

MajorJuggler's collection of useful links. A must for all players new or old.

#19 KillingTime

KillingTime

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 02:54 AM

I'm considering this for my half of a 200point game next week.

Rexler

HLC, Outmaneuver

Jonus

Seismic Charge

OGP

Ion Cannon, Tactician

3 points left for either a stealth device on Rexler, a rebel captive on the shuttle or squad leader + VI on Jonus

(-o-)  (-o-)  (-o-)  |-o-|  |-o-|  |-o-|  (<o>)  (-co-)

:>8@8<:   -</o\>-

#20 Darth Ruin

Darth Ruin

• Members
  • 331 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 04:21 AM

How about Flechette+Munitions Failsafe? Turns Jonus into a stressbot which is great paired with Rexler's white K-Turn.

In a 100 point game I don't think Jonus puts out sufficient damage to be useful, though. 

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS