Corruption Points

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Grand Trader Chode

Grand Trader Chode

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 09:42 AM

Does any one have an idea about when and how much corruption points should be given out

The Quest for Knowledge has no bounds.

#2 Nameless2all

Nameless2all

• Members
  • 759 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 11:31 AM

Page 299 in RT core covers all that. Was this a trick question?
  • Gregorius21778 likes this

For a collection of fan created material, please refer to the link below. Some of it was edited/created by myself and friends, while most is other fan material. Happy gaming people.https://drive.google.com<p>-"May your endeavors always be prosperous, though they may not always be profitable."

#3 Grand Trader Chode

Grand Trader Chode

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 11:34 PM

Sorry about that my internet cut while editing please see the newer thread.

The Quest for Knowledge has no bounds.

#4 Amazing Larry

Amazing Larry

• Members
  • 309 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 03:05 AM

Fast and hard I'd advise really only giving them out under two circumstances, the first being that the players are exposed directly the the warp or warp tainted being and objects. The second would be if they do things so loathsome and reprehensible that they're ugly as hell even by normal 40k standards. Like for instance selling children into slavery or systematically executing innocents for no real gain other than to appear scary.

#5 Magellan

Magellan

• Members
  • 520 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 04:26 AM

What? Selling children (especially what we consider children today) into slavery has been a legal and widely accepted practise during large parts of actual human history, and regular old killing for intimidation is just beyond weak.

Don't listen to these fools. Chaos rituals, warp breaches, interacting with tainted objects or being possessed, that's fair enough, but people use warp gates, sorcerous rituals and daemon weapons all the time without damning their souls. Don't give out corruption points for actions that aren't even related to Chaos, and by all the gods known and unknown, give the poor suckers WP tests to avoid it.

• Decessor likes this

I am the latest model of a Fabricator-General
My body isn't nearly as much animal as mineral
My learnedness is legend; my accomplishments historical
For hereteks and aliens my hatred's categorical

#6 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

• Members
  • 490 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 04:27 PM

There are mundane sources of corruption as well; mostly radiation and chemical exposure.  In the 40k universe, these kinde of gene-damaging activities can have a very strange effect on human (and xeno) physiology.

90% of the time I'm posting without access to rulebooks.  Unless I say otherwise, assume everything is I.I.R.C.

#7 Kasatka

Kasatka

• Members
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 03:36 AM

Regularly eating soylent green for example, especially if you know what it is would give out low level corruption.

Heck being in the void with a damaged void suit for too long might even give out a point due to stellar radiation.

Remember that corruption isn't purely chaos, it's anything mucking with your DNA and purity.

Only the insane have strength enough to prosper.

Only those that prosper may truly judge what is sane.

#8 Magellan

Magellan

• Members
  • 520 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 03:49 AM

Regularly eating soylent green for example, especially if you know what it is would give out low level corruption.

That is the silliest thing I have heard today. Corpse starch is like the most consumed substance in the Imperium.

• Decessor likes this

#9 Andkat

Andkat

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 12:53 PM

Conventional stochastic DNA damage (by radiation, chemical mutagens, etc.) and resultant mutation can't and won't really produce results in any way resembling most of the outcomes on the mutation and malignancy tables.  I would argue that that sort of thing should be handled purely through temporary (or in severe cases permanent) toughness (which is how radiation weapons work in these game lines) or wounds damage. No amount of sipping laboratory chemicals or sleeping beneath an active medical x-ray machine is going to make you a pseudodaemon or a psyker. Or do you give out corruption for eating too much cured red meat too?

Edited by Andkat, 16 July 2014 - 01:00 PM.

• Grand Trader Chode likes this

#10 Magellan

Magellan

• Members
  • 520 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 01:53 PM

I for one can certainly see radiation and chemicals giving out corruption points (on a failed toughness save, of course - it's pretty clear in the fluff that a tougher body makes you more resistant to the physical effects of Chaos), not because it makes any kind of scientific sense, but because of comic book logic. If you can accept chainswords, surely "glowing green goo = mutant super powers" won't shatter your mind. It's a matter of thematic proprietry, however - corruption and insanity are tools for GMs to add an extra level of risk to certain situations. If you give your players no choice but to resign themselves to the fact that you're gonna hand them out whenever you feel like it until they die, it'll likely have no impact on their choices at all, since they know they'll die anyway.

#11 Kasatka

Kasatka

• Members
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 06:31 AM

I was referring to voluntary cannibalism not the act of eating reprocessed biomatter. But yes, it is 'out there' as one of the wackier ways to gain IP or CP.

#12 Sebastian Yorke

Sebastian Yorke

• Members
  • 307 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 03:28 PM

In my understanding, Corruption and the kind of Mutation that the Imperium condemn is punctually that which is generated by warp/chaos exposure.

Eating a living human being while it's still alive and agonizing, wouldn't generate corruption points just because of the flesh that is consumed and its components, but due to the connection that is built with some of the Ruinous Powers when doing such.

The same way I wouldn't give CP to a person lopping off heads in the name of the Emperah, I would give those CP points to that same person if he/she did so in the name of Khorne (Skulls for the Skull Throne!)

Did I make any sense? It's 7pm here on a Friday and my job probably already wasted my mind too badly by now.

RT Wannabe Shipwright & Frustrated GM

#13 Magellan

Magellan

• Members
  • 520 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 03:36 PM

The Imperium condemns all mutation - at least officially, but it's more of a hassle to test every mutant for chaos corruption than to just kill them all and be done with it. Comic book-style mutations do occur in 40k,  if such background options as contaminated environs are to be believed.

I have, myself, included worlds that were so blasted and corrupted by radiation and other filth that the sewage in some places could cause corruption points.

#14 Sebastian Yorke

Sebastian Yorke

• Members
  • 307 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 04:05 PM

The Imperium condemns all mutation - at least officially, but it's more of a hassle to test every mutant for chaos corruption than to just kill them all and be done with it. Comic book-style mutations do occur in 40k,  if such background options as contaminated environs are to be believed.

I have, myself, included worlds that were so blasted and corrupted by radiation and other filth that the sewage in some places could cause corruption points.

In this way, Death Korps of Krieg troopers would all be hellspawns, wyrds or worse.

RT Wannabe Shipwright & Frustrated GM

#15 Andkat

Andkat

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 04:52 PM

I should also note that the corruption section in Rogue Trader explicitly states:

"

Corruption Points (CP) operate almost exactly like Insanity
Points, except that they are gained through exposure to the
warp, dark rituals, cursed artefacts, and daemonic influence." and all descriptions refers to the "mutating touch of the Warp" and "psychoactive energies".

Corruption is not purely a measure of overall physical 'normality'- it is as much a measure of spiritual as of physical affliction, deriving from the malign (or sublime and beneficent, depending on your perspective!) influence of the Warp. That said, there are some exceptions in some of the game lines when dealing with Xenos- i.e. , screwing up a transgenic grafting (from Dark Heresy Radical's Handbook) can give you corruption and/or a mutation. However, most of the discussion and description of the matter focuses on the warp and Chaos as the root of and quantity measured by corruption.

The Imperium reveres the sanctity of the human frame and mistrusts and despises mutants as a matter of course, and I suspect that few members of Imperial society bother to (or have the necessary knowledge) distinguish between purely physical deformity (which itself can be quite dramatic and disturbing if one is unlucky) resulting from the exposure of an embryo to high levels of mutagens, radiation, etc. and warp-based mutations introduced by a twist of fate or high background levels of psychic energy or whatever either before or after birth.

If you want to give players cancers and other biological irregularities from these sorts of things, it'd make sense to track and deal with them entirely separately from corruption. If you look at the rules for things like radiation weapons*, it doesn't look like you are intended to award any corruption for radiation exposure. There are certainly some mutations/malignancies that could be used to represent the consequences thereof (and could be given out if you take took much toughness damage. whatever arbitrary threshold you want to use, from a mundane mutagenic source).

For the matter, I certainly would not give any for any individual act of cannibalism, horrific torture, or whatever other depravity that is done for its own sake without influence from or connection to anything bound by the Warp Of course,  if you're following (even without knowing the wider significance) a prescription or ritual in a forbidden tome, conducting it in a place touched by or ritually associated with the Warp, or crying (or thinking) out the name of a dark patron while doing so, certainly there should be a good amount of corruption in store. However, if you're doing it purely because you're simply a massive sadist/are catastrophically intoxicated/thoroughly mad/etc. I would simply award plenty of insanity instead (due to how much it would brutalize your mind and further alienate you from the rest of humanity).

With repeated indulgence in extreme behaviors that much the portfolio of a Chaos God I would begin to slowly award corruption regardless of context (even if you're acting with the Emperor's name on your lips) and would probably work in some opportunity for temptation or exposure to fell knowledge (as your predilections attracted the gaze of other forces).

*See Faith & Coin, Tome of Decay, or the Lathe Worlds

Edited by Andkat, 18 July 2014 - 06:08 PM.

• Amroth likes this

#16 Magellan

Magellan

• Members
  • 520 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 10:10 PM

In this way, Death Korps of Krieg troopers would all be hellspawns, wyrds or worse.

Why? Those are gained from specific rolls on the mutation table. Besides, there is nothing anywhere suggesting that Krieg would cause corruption just from exposure to its atmosphere. Not only that, but even if it did, the Death Korps with their single-digit life expectancies hardly have to worry about long-term consequences.

Last, but not least, how do you know there *aren't* a bunch of mutants hiding under those gas masks? Corruption points or no, if they were constantly exposed to large doses of radiation, their DNA would suffer for it and mutations would surely occur.

*See Faith & Coin, Tome of Decay, or the Lathe Worlds

I agree with you for the most part, but I'd rather quit playing forever than have anything to do with either of those books.

Edited by Magellan, 18 July 2014 - 10:14 PM.

#17 Kasatka

Kasatka

• Members
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 08:27 AM

If not for environmental variables affecting mutation how can we explain stable mutations such as ratlings or Ogryns? No way Ogryns are purely caused by exposure to the warp, or else the Imperium wouldnt have set up breeding schemes to generate more slab-muscled, idiotic super-soldiers.

#18 Fgdsfg

Fgdsfg

Lrod-Iniquitsor

• Members
  • 1,872 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:30 AM

If not for environmental variables affecting mutation how can we explain stable mutations such as ratlings or Ogryns? No way Ogryns are purely caused by exposure to the warp, or else the Imperium wouldnt have set up breeding schemes to generate more slab-muscled, idiotic super-soldiers.

Because there's a difference between mutation and mutation, and mutants and mutants.

From our point of view in the real world, the Ogryns came about through mutation and adaptation, and, basically, basic evolution. By our definitions, they aren't really mutants, and they aren't mutants in 40k either. They're an evolutionary branch of humanity, or, in 40k terms, abhuman.

Mutants in 40k almost invariably refer to those that have been subject to mutations caused by warp influence, or believed to have been caused by warp influence.

So while there definitely are environmental variables that affects mutation just like in the real world, this isn't represented in the game (or considered "mutation" in the setting).

More likely than not, radiation exposure won't give you additional arms or make your face grow into your abdomen. All it'll do is make you sterile and give you leukaemia. Corruption results in the former, not the latter.

Real men earn their fun

Unified WH40kRP Ruleset Homebrew - Personal Notes
Talking Necrons. Dreadknights. Centurion Armour. Sororitas-murdering Grey Knights.
These things are dumb and do not exist. This is non-negotiable and undebatable.

#19 felismachina

felismachina

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 06:30 PM

In my opinion corruption is more spiritual than physical. If you kill a innocent to rob him there is nothing wrong (well at least in corruption terms) but if you kill him in the name of khorne then you should gain corruption. So i would give corruption points from chaos activities, warp rituals, exposure to chaos energy, getting hit by a demon and so on. I don't think giving corruption for evil deeds has much sense since evil is relative term in w40k universe and corruption is not like dark side of the force.

#20 Magellan

Magellan

• Members
  • 520 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 02:56 AM

From our point of view in the real world, the Ogryns came about through mutation and adaptation, and, basically, basic evolution. By our definitions, they aren't really mutants, and they aren't mutants in 40k either. They're an evolutionary branch of humanity, or, in 40k terms, abhuman.

I don't know if I'd call it "basic" evolution. That sort of thing doesn't happen over the course of ~10.000 years. More like they were radically altered by exposure to warp energies and/or radiation (though I don't believe radiation-based mutations usually carry over to the next generation, so warp seems a lot more likely - but then again, comic book logic) and the abominations that resulted eventually sexed themselves into a fairly homogenous shape.

I suppose that could be called evolution (my next genetor will definitely write a large number of dissertations on "unnatural selection") but hardly basic. :P

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS