Photo

Will Gunner be worth it on B-Wings after the B-Wing/E mod?

• Please log in to reply
137 replies to this topic

#1 Gibarian

Gibarian

• Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 12:50 AM

I started wondering this after fooling around with a new themed list. Seems fun, but I don't know if the combo would ever be worth the six points you could spend on different upgrades, and Gunner doesn't have the same synergy it does with Han. But then again, people seem to like it on Chewie/Lando too, and at that point it's doing much the same thing as it would be on a B-Wing... although probably for a shorter amount of turns.

Blue Corn

Corran Horn 35

PTL 3

R2-D2 4

Fire-Control System

Blue Squadron Pilot 22

B-Wing/E 1

Gunner 5

Blue Squadron Pilot 22

B-Wing/E 1

Gunner 5

#2 gundamv

gundamv

• Members
  • 445 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 12:56 AM

What's the B-Wing/E mod?

#3 SpikeSpiegel

SpikeSpiegel

• Members
  • 338 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 01:01 AM

It's a mod that is going to be released in the Rebel Aces expansion that allows B-Wings to take crew.

Canon-ly, I believe it is the modified variant of the B-Wing that Admiral Ackbar used for transport.

Edited by SpikeSpiegel, 09 July 2014 - 01:02 AM.

• Vorpal Sword, AdmiralThrawn and Marinealver like this
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...

#4 Eltnot

Eltnot

• Members
  • 980 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 01:10 AM

Probably not.  Because the B-Wing tends to fight in close, it is usually within range 1-2 of it's target which reduces the likelihood that gunner will trigger.  And for one point more you can throw a Heavy Laser Cannon on them.

Intelligence Agent or Tactician however will be excellent, cheap upgrades to the ship coming in at two and three points respectively including the modification.

• Scizzler and Marinealver like this

Carpe Jugulum

Spoiler

#5 iPeregrine

iPeregrine

• Members
  • 960 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 01:28 AM

And for one point more you can throw a Heavy Laser Cannon on them.

I think this is the biggest issue. A HLC is usually better than gunner and primary weapon, so if you're willing to take an expensive b-wing you might as well just spend the single extra point to get a much better ship.

#6 JeremyBarnhill

JeremyBarnhill

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 02:03 AM

Seems like it may be fun....

Blue Squadron Pilot — B-Wing 22
Heavy Laser Cannon 7
Mercenary Copilot 2
B-Wing/E2 1

Blue Squadron Pilot — B-Wing 22
Heavy Laser Cannon 7
Mercenary Copilot 2
B-Wing/E2 1

Etahn A'baht — E-Wing 32
Advanced Sensors 3
R2 Astromech 1
  • Sekac likes this

#7 Lagomorphia

Lagomorphia

• Validating
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 02:32 AM

The B-wing didn't need that mod. The Y-wing did,

• haslo, voidstate, malladin.ben and 15 others like this

#8 Sekac

Sekac

• Members
  • 568 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 02:51 AM

It's a mod that is going to be released in the Rebel Aces expansion that allows B-Wings to take crew.
Canon-ly, I believe it is the modified variant of the B-Wing that Admiral Ackbar used for transport.

No, Ackbar's B-Wing is a FURTHER variant of the /E2. His had a widened cockpit so the passenger sat side-by-side. The regular /E2 had a dedicated gunner behind the pilot. It was to lighten the workload on the pilot and improve performance of the B-wing as a dedicated heavy assault fighter. I would really like to see Ackbar as a crew (or possibly even B-wing pilot) someday.

I'm personally having trouble figuring out how to fit in anything I like. It adds up quickly.
  • Corellian Corvette likes this

#9 Starscream87

Starscream87

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 03:37 AM

It would take too many upgrade points, but Heavy Laser + Gunner would be pretty badass. Gunner alone might work very well too. Might.

"To the edge of the universe and back. Endure and survive."

#10 stegocent

stegocent

• Members
  • 635 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 05:59 AM

Has it been confirmed that the /E is one point??
Pretty lame if that is the case.
Should be free like the slave 1 title, as it doesn't add anything like the falcon title does.

Empire: 7 Tie/In, 2 Tie Advanced, 2 Tie/Int, 2 Imperial Aces  4 Tie/B, 2 Firespray-31, 3 Lambda

Rebel: 6 X-Wing, 2 Y-Wing, 2 A-Wing, 4 B-wing, 1 Yt-1300, 2 HWK-290, 2 GR-75, 1 CR-90

#11 Vorpal Sword

Vorpal Sword

O frabjous day!

• Members
  • 2,759 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 06:10 AM

Has it been confirmed that the /E is one point??
Pretty lame if that is the case.
Should be free like the slave 1 title, as it doesn't add anything like the falcon title does.

It does add something: the ability to take a crew. If it does cost 1 point (don't remember if that was a legit spoiler or a rumor), then it's almost an exact match for R2-D6: 1 point to add a (really good) upgrade slot.

And given how effective B-wings are already, I like that the title/mod/whatever isn't free.
  • Veldrin, voidstate, magadizer and 9 others like this

#12 Red Castle

Red Castle

• Members
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 06:45 AM

It would take too many upgrade points, but Heavy Laser + Gunner would be pretty badass. Gunner alone might work very well too. Might.

With 4 attack dice, I do hope you won't miss often enough to justify paying 6 more points for a gunner.

• Vorpal Sword and Hobojebus like this

I'm a french native player so sometimes, some expressions or meanings might be lost in translation. I mean no disrespect.

#13 Effenhoog

Effenhoog

• Members
  • 538 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 06:56 AM

If the title isn't free I really don't see much reason to put crew on B-wings at all.  B-wings can already take plenty of good upgrades as it is, and I don't see many crew options that really make it worth pouring more points into an already expensive ship.

The B-wing half of rebel aces is quite puzzling to me in general

• stegocent likes this

#14 Crabbok

Crabbok

The Doctor

• Members
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 06:58 AM

Yeah it is one point HOWEVER it is also a modification which means no Engine Upgrade - which happens to be particularly useful to a B-Wing in some builds.   

Here are some crew that I think will be particularly nice in a B-Wing:

Lando - An evade on a B-Wing would be awesome - and Evade and a Focus, or 2 Evades?   So nice!   

Mercenary CoPilot - If you are using HLC this is certainly an option - ESPECIALLY with Ten Numb.  

Han Solo - Cheap and gives you choices - pairs nicely with FCS

C-3PO - add some survivability to your ship.  

Chewbacca - same as above. 

Nien Numb - cheap and will help with moves or ions.  

• stegocent and LeoHowler like this

#15 Sideslip

Sideslip

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 07:06 AM

R2-D2 and Nien Nunb? Ion Cannon Turret and Tactician? No thanks. This is a game, and lots of things that sound fun would be detrimental to the balance that makes X-wing great.

Edit: Magadizer reminded me that Tactician is in-arc only, which is sufficiently challenging to be a non-issue.

Edited by Sideslip, 09 July 2014 - 07:36 AM.

#16 Skargoth

Skargoth

• Members
  • 716 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 07:07 AM

Buzzsaw B-wings please.

Dagger - FCS, /E, Gunner

Seems good in a pair. No engine upgrade, but the dial is better than the Lambda and it likely wants to close in slowly.

You don't need to strip your miniatures, painting over is fine. No, there should not be a fourth faction, three is the magic number for countering flavor lists and to break up faction distribution. Someone else has likely thought up and posted your amazing new build, so you don't need to stroke your ego when reposting it. The prequels sucked and so would a game based on it. YES, there should be a Custom Forum for terrain and repaints! Moving on...

#17 Sideslip

Sideslip

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 07:09 AM

Yeah it is one point HOWEVER it is also a modification which means no Engine Upgrade - which happens to be particularly useful to a B-Wing in some builds.   

Here are some crew that I think will be particularly nice in a B-Wing:

Lando - An evade on a B-Wing would be awesome - and Evade and a Focus, or 2 Evades?   So nice!   

Mercenary CoPilot - If you are using HLC this is certainly an option - ESPECIALLY with Ten Numb.  

Han Solo - Cheap and gives you choices - pairs nicely with FCS

C-3PO - add some survivability to your ship.  

Chewbacca - same as above. 

Nien Numb - cheap and will help with moves or ions.  

Both of the Rebel Aces crew cards, Jan Ors and Kyle Katarn, could be very good on B-wings. I guess this is why they are shipping with a B-wing repaint.

• Crabbok likes this

#18 Sideslip

Sideslip

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 07:09 AM

Buzzsaw B-wings please.

Dagger - FCS, /E, Gunner

Seems good in a pair. No engine upgrade, but the dial is better than the Lambda and it likely wants to close in slowly.

This is also one point more expensive than a heavy laser cannon. Do you really think it's better?

#19 magadizer

magadizer

2014 X-wing Store Championship Participant

• Members
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 07:11 AM

R2-D2 and Nien Nunb? Ion Cannon Turret and Tactician? No thanks. This is a game, and lots of things that sound fun would be detrimental to the balance that makes X-wing great.

I don't think ICT and Tactician on a Y-wing is as easy to pull off, since Tactician is restricted to your firing arc. But you will be able to run Blue + Ion Cannon + Tactician....
Be seeing you.

#20 PS10

PS10

• Members
  • 231 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 07:16 AM

Blue, B2, intelligence agent, advanced sensors.

This will be the new Dagger with advanced sensors. It takes even more advantage of movement, and action choices!

Edited by PS10, 09 July 2014 - 07:17 AM.

• Souladin likes this

Arvel Crynyd - "AAAAaaaahHHHH!"

Green Squadron

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS