Your Party's Favorite Ships

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 Plan b

Plan b

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 03:03 PM

What does make me laugh is how the party will always say "We want cargo space!" but the most they'll haul is maybe less than 30 ENC.

Kinda my point.

If your not  going to use the cargo space, why have a freighter?

And if your not going let them use the cargo space, why give them a freighter? 

#22 swiftdraw

swiftdraw

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 03:09 PM

For some reason GMs seem to be against running cargo, in your freighter.

Not sure why.

Cargo runs work fine as background tasks. When speculative trading moves to the forefront of the game, I get bored. If I'm the only one that gets bored by it it's still a problem when I'm the GM. As a player, I can just tune out for a bit, but too much of this is going to really drag a game down for me. This is why I get nervous when I see a player wanting to play a Trader. I try to make sure that they don't have plans that will monopolize the group's activities. I signed up for Star Wars (whether hot or cold wars, and whether military or underworld forces matters little to me) not Star Markets.

I'm right there with you. I like it being a side thing (getting cargo that lines up where the next job is going), or cargo is part of the story, but when that's all they do, it does make for a boring game.

What does make me laugh is how the party will always say "We want cargo space!" but the most they'll haul is maybe less than 30 ENC.

Agreed, but my group used that cargo space judiciously and were always on the look out for a bigger ship, but cargo was never the #1 priority. Basiclly, when they knocked over some Imperial Outpost or Depots when the Alliance 'asked' them to, they took what ever they could cram into the hold of the YT-1000 with some vague hope of making a profit at some point. If the hold wasn't full, or holding something really valuable, they were wasting fuel. I think their crowning achievement was disassembling an impounded Y-Wing Longprobe on site and managing to wedge it into the hold. It took a destiny point and two setback die on manuever checks to do it, but they did it. Anyhow, we worked together so that they were usually shipping/smuggling something to where they were going and it would occassionally effect how the session went. More often than not it was just something for them to remember to do on the side to pay for the docking and fuel fees or for me to introduce a snag in the plan or a MacGuffin to the plot.

I think the biggest thing my guys ran into is trying to transport more than a handful of people at a time. When they busted open a slave labor camp trying to figure out how to move 30+ beings became quiete the quandry for a bit. They manage to modify a ship to do it, but the old Quartermaster-class frieghter definitly became an object of loathing for my players. :lol:

• LibrariaNPC, cvtheoman and Icosiel like this

#23 CaptainRaspberry

CaptainRaspberry

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 08:55 AM

Cargo runs work fine as background tasks. When speculative trading moves to the forefront of the game, I get bored. If I'm the only one that gets bored by it it's still a problem when I'm the GM. As a player, I can just tune out for a bit, but too much of this is going to really drag a game down for me. This is why I get nervous when I see a player wanting to play a Trader. I try to make sure that they don't have plans that will monopolize the group's activities. I signed up for Star Wars (whether hot or cold wars, and whether military or underworld forces matters little to me) not Star Markets.

I actually fell into this trap already. In my last game, my players wanted to haul cargo and earn credits legitimately; I obliged, figuring I could keep it interesting.

I was wrong. It quickly became boring and formulaic, and even though I tried to distract them with other, vastly more interesting plots, their inevitable answer was, "We'll think about it and run some more cargo!" My planned solution was to say that, yes, they were running cargo and I'd account for the time lost and the credits gained. However, it was bogging down the game and making it less interesting for me to run. So we'd make it a background thing, since legitimate cargoes tend to be pretty dull adventures, and I'd only run it if they willingly picked up something illegal.

(Or I'd do an in medias res open with a supposed legitimate cargo turning out to be more than they bargained for.)

However, the game imploded for unrelated reasons before I got the chance to implement that change. I've learned from it, though, and won't be doing the same again.

• cvtheoman likes this

Sic transit gloria.

#24 Litheon

Litheon

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 03:09 PM

E-9 Explorer all the way. It's like Serenity, but for Star Wars. Even iterated through some designs because I hated the layouts online, since they didn't mesh with what the book said. xD

https://drive.google...k&usp=drive_web

In the "Gaiden Story" sessions, where someone mission critical isn't there for a session but we play anyway, we use a Surronian Conqueror-Class Assault Ship (what a mouthful) called the "Ivory Goat". It's pretty sweet as well, but obviously not really a player ship that's easy to obtain.

.. So basically what orange said in the first reply. Kek.

• Col. Orange likes this

#25 Midnight_X2

Midnight_X2

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 09:37 PM

My group really liked the Wayfarer until they figured out how unsuitable it was for space combat. When I gave them the option of trading out, they decided to stick with the Beast of Burden but take on more obligation for a retrofitted hanger bay.

My party is settled on the Wayfarer as well. It will allow for more interesting cargo as they take on odd jobs in the way the TV show Firefly played out. I am worried about how they'll fare in combat and I don't think they appreciate just how tough a job the pilot it going to have. We'll see how it goes.

• kaosoe and LibrariaNPC like this

#26 cvtheoman

cvtheoman

• Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 08:06 AM

Cargo runs are good things on the side, as have been mentioned.  There's also fun to be had in what could happen if proper questions aren't asked about the cargo, or if pirates raid you, or if customs intercepts you.  On that last one, I ran the modular encounter "Long Arm of the Law" from Sons of Fortune when my group visited Corellia, and it was a blast, without a shot being fired.  You can see my write-up in the GM forum.

• kaosoe and LibrariaNPC like this

The Rule of Cool trumps.  Math is such a tool.

Remember to have fun.  After all, this is a game.

#27 LibrariaNPC

LibrariaNPC

• Members
  • 818 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 09:28 AM

My group really liked the Wayfarer until they figured out how unsuitable it was for space combat. When I gave them the option of trading out, they decided to stick with the Beast of Burden but take on more obligation for a retrofitted hanger bay.

My party is settled on the Wayfarer as well. It will allow for more interesting cargo as they take on odd jobs in the way the TV show Firefly played out. I am worried about how they'll fare in combat and I don't think they appreciate just how tough a job the pilot it going to have. We'll see how it goes.

Let us know how it pans out! The Wayfarer seems like the worst option for combat purposes, but when it comes to cargo and versatility (those variable cargo pods are a wonderful tool!), it really can't be beat.

There's something about having a pocket carrier that is appealing to me. . .

• kaosoe and cvtheoman like this

"Smilies exist because no one's bothered to make a sarcasm font." Lost_Heretic

LibrariaNPC's Starship Yard (Fighters and Freighter chapters as PDFs!)

#28 bradknowles

bradknowles

• Members
  • 563 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 06:17 PM

So tell me, what sort of ship does your party go for? Are they tied to a particular style, a specific company, or just whatever looks new and shiny? Is there a particular ship that stands out that you're party used during a campaign?

One group I’m in has a YT-2400, and it has turned out pretty nice.  Not much in the way of mods made to it, yet.

The other group has recently … acquired … "The Cobra" from Lando, due to his … untimely death … after a card game.  It’s a Mu-class Shuttle.  Basically, the design brief for this ship was to take all the stuff that made the Lamba shuttle semi-decent, and then rip it out.  So, like rip out virtually all the weapons.  And rip out the good hyperdrive.  And cut off the tall tail.

I don’t think anyone in the group is really happy with keeping "The Cobra", but we’ve been told that this is our Albatross.  If we sell it, then whatever we buy next is guaranteed to break down, and when we send out a distress signal, the only ship that will respond will be "The Cobra", and it will be piloted by an NPC that we are currently traveling with that is rather … dorkish and weird.  We won’t be allowed to crash it or destroy it, and it is guaranteed to bring down all sorts of … nastiness … on top of us.

I mean, who wouldn’t want to come after us to get Lando’s ship that he had after the Millennium Falcon, right?

Oy.

Personally, I would love to have a 4R3 LAT, but I’d be happy to settle for a PB-950 as something that is a lot closer to our price range.  The YT-1300 and YT-2400 are always favorites because they have more weapons/hard points than anything else in the game that players can reasonably acquire.  However, the PB-950 is Silhouette 5, which means it can mount larger weapons than anything Sil 4, and some of those weapons can be pretty good.

The Gozanti Armed Transport also looks pretty nice — it only has four available hard points, but it does have seven weapons mounted, is also Sil 5, and has relatively small crew requirements and a reasonable price — only 200k credits.

The ILH-KK Citadel Class Light Freighter is also quite nice, even though it’s only Sil 4, it has four hard points available and typically five weapons integrated from the factory, and likewise only costs 200k credits.

That’s just a few selections of my favorites.

Unless stated otherwise, these are just my personal opinions about how I feel things should work.  Even if I quote chapter and verse of a particular rulebook, only the part that's quoted is likely to actually be official.  Each GM will have to decide for themselves what rules they will use and which ones they won't, and how they will interpret the rules they do use.  That is their right -- and their responsibility.

"A FFG Star Wars Index" by Aahzmandius_Karrde: <http://community.fan...ar-wars-index/> | Github project at <https://github.com/k...rde/ffg_swrpg/>

"Dice Probability Generator" by Litheon: http://community.fan...lity-generator/

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS