Your Party's Favorite Ships

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 LibrariaNPC

LibrariaNPC

• Members
  • 801 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 08:51 AM

I'm not certain about the rest of you, but it seems that every time I run a Star Wars game, the party will invariably choose a CEC ship, whether it is the YT-1300 (with the goals of getting a YT-2400) or another ship along those lines.

My previous gaming group had a YV-100 with the goal of moving up to something better or faster (the YT-2400 was on the list, and the HWK line, like the Moldy Crow, was also high up there as well).

In my d20 days, the groups had a saying: "If it's not Corellian, we're not buying it." (One guy broke that rule by getting a Firespray, but he's a Boba Fett fan).

Now my current group is just starting to get together, and before we even make characters, the fans are going Corellian, all the way. (YT, YV, VCX, HWK, and the YU were at the top of the list of requests).

So tell me, what sort of ship does your party go for? Are they tied to a particular style, a specific company, or just whatever looks new and shiny? Is there a particular ship that stands out that you're party used during a campaign?

"Smilies exist because no one's bothered to make a sarcasm font." Lost_Heretic

LibrariaNPC's Starship Yard (Fighters and Freighter chapters as PDFs!)

#2 Col. Orange

Col. Orange

• Members
  • 1,102 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 09:11 AM

I think I saw an assault shuttle in Dangerous Covenants my (Gadgetteer) Bounty Hunter'd love.

The E9 Explorer ship from Enter the Unknown is another favourite (both in terms of stats and design).

Edited by Col. Orange, 08 July 2014 - 09:13 AM.

• HappyDaze likes this

What's written above is meant with love

#3 kaosoe

kaosoe

Not the GM my players need, but the one they deserve.

• Members
  • 1,697 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 09:16 AM

So far I have really dug the E9.

The game where I get to play in, we are in a 2400. I really like it, but I've got my eye on a 929, based on visual appearances alone. I don't even mind if all the guns are stripped off.

Scavenger - On the d20Radio forums.

Pronounced: Kay - Oh - So

#4 2P51

2P51

• Members
  • 3,551 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 09:18 AM

Any that aren't on fire or crashing while I am in them.......

• segara82, Col. Orange, Sofia Corba and 3 others like this

My group's Obsidian Portal campaign site: It's All in the Trigger Squeeze

#5 Col. Orange

Col. Orange

• Members
  • 1,102 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 09:25 AM

Any that aren't on fire or crashing while I am in them.......

For us, that'd be a big ask.  (Fecking Pash...)

Edited by Col. Orange, 08 July 2014 - 09:25 AM.

What's written above is meant with love

#6 2P51

2P51

• Members
  • 3,551 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 09:29 AM

My favorites based on the art and style, not necessarily stats, as we don't have them all, are probably the CR-90 and Fire Sprays.  I'm also big fan of the HWK-290 artwork in the back of the EoE CRB and look forward to those stats.  Of course who doesn't like a big ol SD though?

14421_star_wars_star_destroyer_spaceship

Edited by 2P51, 08 July 2014 - 10:31 AM.

#7 CaptainRaspberry

CaptainRaspberry

• Members
  • 354 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 10:29 AM

I'm a big fan of the Incom A-24 Sleuth-class scout ship, but by and large my players go for Corellian. They actually passed up on a better ship because it wasn't CEC and stuck with their starter YT-1300.

Sic transit gloria.

#8 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 5,980 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 10:45 AM

My group loves the Ghtroc 720 light freighter. Suprisingly enough, none of them were WEG players.

• LibrariaNPC likes this

Ignore, Ignore, you must learn Ignore!

Now Ignoring: Nobody.

#9 2P51

2P51

• Members
  • 3,551 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 10:52 AM

Our pilot wants a Citadel class, which suits me, we are thinking a group of 2 or maybe even 3 ships for our group, for both extra space, for everyone to be more involved in ship combat, and to have the 'two places at once' option available to us.

• LeSquide likes this

#10 kaosoe

kaosoe

Not the GM my players need, but the one they deserve.

• Members
  • 1,697 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 11:14 AM

My group really liked the Wayfarer until they figured out how unsuitable it was for space combat. When I gave them the option of trading out, they decided to stick with the Beast of Burden but take on more obligation for a retrofitted hanger bay.

• Midnight_X2 and LibrariaNPC like this

Scavenger - On the d20Radio forums.

Pronounced: Kay - Oh - So

#11 That Blasted Samophlange

That Blasted Samophlange

• Members
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 11:20 AM

4r3 light assault transport... a ship so stealthy, nobody has ever seen it. Even the people who created it!
  • kaosoe and bradknowles like this
You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point if EU.

#12 Plan b

Plan b

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 04:08 PM

My parties favourite.

The Azure Storm.

A consular class cruiser, formerly belonging to the rebels, taken by the party. (rebels went to imp. int.)

Its been heavily converted since, hanger bays added, extra shields and upgraded engines.

Its become a much loved mobile base, that eats money.

#13 RogueCorona

RogueCorona

• Members
  • 840 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 12:30 AM

The party's is the 720 followed by the Citadel class Cruiser. I've lost track of the number of those we've used across systems. Capital shipwise we are much more divided, Some (like me) prefer the frigates or small cruisers, others prefer the larger cruisers or Star Destroyers and a couple prefer corvettes/gunships. And even among members who like the same type of capships there will only be at most one or two who consider a particular class their favorite. Starfighters almost every person has their own favorite though three share the X-Wing and two the Y-Wing the most.

Edited by RogueCorona, 09 July 2014 - 12:31 AM.

• LeSquide likes this

#14 swiftdraw

swiftdraw

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 04:32 AM

My party basiclly took what was offered and didn't seem to have preferenace other than "is it fast and have lotsa big guns?"  A variant of Shen's Yacht from Jewel of Yavin was wildly popular with my crew for about two sessions. Then it blew up. They didn't mind the YT-1000 they were flying the majority of the time except when they tried to do anything dumb, dangerous, or different with it. Its kinda squishy and was rather unforgiving when the dice don't roll the player's way.

#15 Jegergryte

Jegergryte

• Members
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 04:57 AM

My group is still in the YT-1300 they started with way back in the beta adventure. They've changed the name a few times, but they're now on the look out for something better, less cargo focused; they don't really do big cargo runs.

They have been looking at stuff, but they're not certain. They might end up with another CEC - very likely - but I'm hoping for something else.

Make sure your brain is engaged, before putting your mouth into gear.

"What about the future...? We can only hope, we cannot however account for the minutiae of the quanta, as all accidents in an infinite space are inevitable."

GMLovlie's/Jegergryte's Cubicle direct link to supplements here.

#16 Plan b

Plan b

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 05:47 AM

For some reason GMs seem to be against running cargo, in your freighter.

Not sure why.

#17 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 5,980 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 07:40 AM

Not sure why.

Cargo runs work fine as background tasks. When speculative trading moves to the forefront of the game, I get bored. If I'm the only one that gets bored by it it's still a problem when I'm the GM. As a player, I can just tune out for a bit, but too much of this is going to really drag a game down for me. This is why I get nervous when I see a player wanting to play a Trader. I try to make sure that they don't have plans that will monopolize the group's activities. I signed up for Star Wars (whether hot or cold wars, and whether military or underworld forces matters little to me) not Star Markets.

• Jegergryte, kaosoe, LibrariaNPC and 1 other like this

Ignore, Ignore, you must learn Ignore!

Now Ignoring: Nobody.

#18 cvtheoman

cvtheoman

• Members
  • 233 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 08:17 AM

My group was very eager to get their hands on a YT-2000 (Otana from X-wing Alliance).  Of course, most of us are fans of the old flight sim, so I was happy to oblige.

Math is such a tool.

#19 Joker Two

Joker Two

• Members
  • 450 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 12:59 PM

My group is flying a downright ancient YG-4210, and are focusing on maximizing its already impressive defenses.  Ion Cannons instead of Lasers, a backup shield generator, onboard medical bay, etc.  They're not too worried about dealing out damage as long as they can survive long enough to jump away or call for help.

#20 LibrariaNPC

LibrariaNPC

• Members
  • 801 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 02:13 PM

Not sure why.

Cargo runs work fine as background tasks. When speculative trading moves to the forefront of the game, I get bored. If I'm the only one that gets bored by it it's still a problem when I'm the GM. As a player, I can just tune out for a bit, but too much of this is going to really drag a game down for me. This is why I get nervous when I see a player wanting to play a Trader. I try to make sure that they don't have plans that will monopolize the group's activities. I signed up for Star Wars (whether hot or cold wars, and whether military or underworld forces matters little to me) not Star Markets.

I'm right there with you. I like it being a side thing (getting cargo that lines up where the next job is going), or cargo is part of the story, but when that's all they do, it does make for a boring game.

What does make me laugh is how the party will always say "We want cargo space!" but the most they'll haul is maybe less than 30 ENC.

"Smilies exist because no one's bothered to make a sarcasm font." Lost_Heretic

LibrariaNPC's Starship Yard (Fighters and Freighter chapters as PDFs!)

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS