Is the Alliance truly 'good guys'?

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#1 bull30548

bull30548

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 10:33 PM

So this was a random thought that got legs then wheels as it became a full train of thought.  I thought you guys might want to join me on this ride.

Looking at my beta wishing it metamorphosis into a CRB I was looking at my favorite threat in it the Dark Trooper (did they introduce phase 1 or 2 btw?).  Oh, yes the Empire can be evil with their new weapons but a thought occurred to me.  Was this truly evil? It was a program designed to prevent the loss of troops in dangerous situations.  Now don't get me wrong I have no doubt they would use them in very poor form.  However, the project did have some nobility to it.  This led me to wonder what other projects the Empire had?  this led me to wonder what it was the Alliance was up to as well?  What projects did they conduct to counter the Empire?  Admittedly they did not have vast resources the Empire did but what if a few just went out of their way on their own side projects?  What if a sector leader arranged for his cells to gather the materials to revive the Dark Trooper project on the side of the Alliance?  What if they decided the Separatist forces needed resurrecting?  What if they tried to recreate the Grand Army of the Republic (Alliance)?

But wait isn't the Alliance the 'good guys'?  Well, I followed more thoughts and wondered if they were all good?  I mean many of their numbers could be from both Old Republic and Imperial forces both civilian and military?  Is any organization truly free of corruption or graft?  So what to prevent that in  the Alliance?

Plot ideas (None of which are fleshed out  but hey run with it)

-Sector group is trying to reconstruct the Dark Trooper program.  High Command finds out this and decides to send in a team to shut them down. 

-An Imperial Intelligence group has set up a false Rebel cell to trap and capture true Alliance members.  The group may be recruited under the false pretense or acting as spyhunters.  

-A cell begins gathering the materials to start a clone/droid factory to build an army.  The group is tasked to provide support or burn it all to the ground.

SPACE GUINEA PIGS TO THE RESCUE!!!!!

#2 2P51

2P51

• Members
  • 3,708 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 10:38 PM

In general terms, no government is all good, few are all bad, there are exceptions.  That's reality.  Star Wars is about caricature arch types.  The Empire is evil, period.  It enslaves, it destroys terrestrial worlds, it commits genocide on a whim on a system sized scale.  The Alliance are supposed to be the freedom loving progressive representatives of the people.  That's what's presented in the material.  Now, does everyone have to play it completely like that?  No, but in broad strokes it should be handled in that way.  To make it too gray makes it something other than Star Wars imo.

• LETE, Prometheus878, whafrog and 6 others like this

My group's Obsidian Portal campaign site: It's All in the Trigger Squeeze  and D&D 5E  Swords for Adventure

#3 RogueCorona

RogueCorona

• Members
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 11:13 PM

Was the Alliance all good, or utterly uncorrupt? No it commuted immoral acts, and I'm sure a number of members were corrupt.

Was the Alliance better than the Empire? Absolutely. It pretty much takes trying to be absolute evil to top a government where one of the highest ranking officials orders the death of millions and probably billions of citizens just to show what their new weapon can do and almost no one in the chain of command even blinks.

• aramis likes this

#4 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 6,180 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 04:31 AM

Alliance Special Operations (SpecOps) are often fairly independent and just stick it to the Empire however they can. The downside to such freedom is that some of them invariably cross lines they shouldn't. Did I mention that many PC groups are SpecOps?

Ignore, Ignore, you must learn Ignore!

Now Ignoring: Nobody.

#5 Misha

Misha

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 06:28 AM

The Alliance is human(and alien and droid and cyborg etc.). Corruption, greed, hate and anger are all flaws in the Alliance. While no where as near as evil as the Empire they still cross boundries. With my players they fight corrupt Alliance representetives half the time as they fight Imperial Stromtroopers. Personally I prefer the crime families and empires so I see both with a neutral view. Both are good and bad.

For some adventure seeds heres one. If you watch the Clone wars(hey my brother watches it!) then this idea may seem familiair.

A Rebel cell on a planet has a problem. The planet is starving, because the Empire has stopped giving food and supplies because of the Rebels. The leaders who are Rebel supporters make a meeting. They decide to start buying food and supplies from the Black Market, however the governers are enraptured by the power. They can decide who gets food and medicine so their enemies starve or die of disease. They still support the Rebellion but news of this has reached Mon Motha. She sends out a small dedicated team to take out the Governers. Though they don't know what is happening they have a hired guard of Rebels and criminals. The Imperials are sending an Invasion force to kick out the Governers and put new ones. Combat, politics and diplomacy will be seen often. The players may think Mon Motha is wrong and try keep the Governers alive. Remember the most feared criminals have a good deal going on, they don't like party crashers.

#6 Lathrop

Lathrop

• Members
  • 452 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 06:46 AM

Just throwing this out there - a lot of these missions/ideas to weed out people in the Alliance that are more crossing the line into evil, would fall under the "Internal Security" Duty.

• cvtheoman likes this

#7 That Blasted Samophlange

That Blasted Samophlange

• Members
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 08:04 AM

Bunch of damn terrorists...
  • cvtheoman likes this
You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of EU.

#8 RogueCorona

RogueCorona

• Members
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 08:18 AM

Actually the Empire fits te definition of a terrorist movement much better than the Alliance does. Hell Tarkin's use of the Death Star was straight out of How to be a Terrorist 101.

• Prometheus878, x13phantom and Bipolar Potter like this

#9 copperbell

copperbell

• Members
  • 592 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 08:20 AM

No after all your PCs have to aspire to something! :P

• knasserII likes this

#10 Vonpenguin

Vonpenguin

• Members
  • 949 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 08:46 AM

By modern definitions, no. The rebels in the movies only attack military targets and combatants wear uniforms clearly designating that they are members of the alliance. Not to say you can't play up some grey or IRA type terrorism in your games but the most "basic" interpretation is "not terrorist.

• Ghostofman and knasserII like this

#11 Sylpheed

Sylpheed

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 08:53 AM

I still think we could use a separate forum for people who cheer for the Empire.

• Revanchist likes this

#12 Ghostofman

Ghostofman

• Members
  • 1,780 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 09:19 AM

I still think we could use a separate forum for people who cheer for the Empire.

Oh don't start that.... I'd tell you about another forum user we haven't seen in a while, but I'm afraid that like Candyman or Beetlejuice if we say his name enough he'll magically appear to destroy troll us all...

• x13phantom, copperbell, whafrog and 2 others like this

MAGIC HEADPHONES PROTECT ME FROM THE SPACE!

#13 Yoshiyahu

Yoshiyahu

• Members
  • 493 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 09:29 AM

1000w.jpg

• kaosoe and cvtheoman like this

CorellianCrafts.com is now live! Be sure to check it out for hand-made Star Wars dice bags and accessories!

#14 kaosoe

kaosoe

Not the GM my players need, but the one they deserve.

• Members
  • 1,839 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 09:42 AM

Oh don't start that.... I'd tell you about another forum user we haven't seen in a while, but I'm afraid that like Candyman or Beetlejuice if we say his name enough he'll magically appear to destroy troll us all...

You're talking to him friend. Candyman just changed his name to Beetlejuice.

Scavenger - On the d20Radio forums.

Pronounced: Kay - Oh - So

#15 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 6,180 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 10:56 AM

By modern definitions, no. The rebels in the movies only attack military targets and combatants wear uniforms clearly designating that they are members of the alliance. Not to say you can't play up some grey or IRA type terrorism in your games but the most "basic" interpretation is "not terrorist.

In the movies that's true, but Alliance SpecOps are another story.

Ignore, Ignore, you must learn Ignore!

Now Ignoring: Nobody.

#16 That Blasted Samophlange

That Blasted Samophlange

• Members
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 11:12 AM

My post was done facetiously.

However, to open a can of worms, the destruction of Alderaan could be compared to the real world tradegy of August 6, 1945. A destruction so horrific, it effectively ended the war. This act was perpetuated by a nation that, by Vonpenguin and RogueCorona's definition, should be declared a terrorist state.

The point is, that while the black and white nature of the Star Wars films let's the audience know who to cheer for, many want a more grey tone for their game. Evil men can fight for a good cause as easily as good men can fight for an evil one.

Edited by That Blasted Samophlange, 08 July 2014 - 11:27 AM.

• cvtheoman likes this
You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of EU.

#17 Sylpheed

Sylpheed

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 11:17 AM

You can stop pretending now. The book is written and printed and in the hands of customers, and for better or worse its too late to change it.

Edited by Sylpheed, 08 July 2014 - 11:17 AM.

#18 Yoshiyahu

Yoshiyahu

• Members
  • 493 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 11:49 AM

I think this satirical post sums up my thoughts on the subject pretty aptly.

CorellianCrafts.com is now live! Be sure to check it out for hand-made Star Wars dice bags and accessories!

#19 RogueCorona

RogueCorona

• Members
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 02:45 PM

In the movies that's true, but Alliance SpecOps are another story.

While specops are supposed to hold themselves to military targets yeah of the Alliance forces they and the local cells are almost certainly the groups most likely to go renegade and hit civilians.

However, to open a can of worms, the destruction of Alderaan could be compared to the real world tradegy of August 6, 1945. A destruction so horrific, it effectively ended the war. This act was perpetuated by a nation that, by Vonpenguin and RogueCorona's definition, should be declared a terrorist state.

The point is, that while the black and white nature of the Star Wars films let's the audience know who to cheer for, many want a more grey tone for their game. Evil men can fight for a good cause as easily as good men can fight for an evil one.

I'm not ing into the historical conditions, or the differences between the nuclear bombings in World War II, or the bombing of Dresden and what happened to Alderaan though I do think the second nuke was definitely unneeded overkilll, if not the first.

The last part is all too true unfortunately.

#20 Kallabecca

Kallabecca

• Members
  • 945 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 03:42 PM

The difference between Alderaan and Hiroshima is that Alderaan was destroyed while no active war was being engaged. Hiroshima was destroyed as part of open hostilities between nations where each was very much aware that war was going on.

The destruction of Alderaan would be more like if the US government bombed Denver as a way to deal with drug dealers.

• Prometheus878, awayputurwpn and Bipolar Potter like this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS