Copenhagen X-Wings Regionals Final match

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Forensicus

Forensicus

• Members
  • 521 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:56 AM

Hi there, just wanted to share the video of yesterday's final match at the 2nd Danish Regionals (first one was held at Odense in May):

The match up was between Gil's 

"X Wing Elite":

Wedge + R2, PTL
Luke + R2-D2, DTF, Shield Upgrade
Wes Janson + VI

and yours truly (Niko) playing
"WWI":
Ibitsam + Oppurtunist, HLC
Wes Janson + VI
Wedge + Determination

Enjoy

• Veldrin and StephenEsven like this

2014 X-Wing Regional Champion (CPH, Denmark)

Fleet: 1 x [YT-1300] -  5 x [X-Wing] - 4 x [A-Wing] -2 x [Y-Wing] - 2 x [HWK-290] - 4 x [B-Wing] - 1 x [Transport] - 1 x [Tantive IV]: 2 x [Firespray-31] - 8 x [Tie Fighters] - 6 x [Tie Interceptor] - 3 x [Tie Advanced] - 3 x [TIE-Bomber] - 3 x [Lambda Shuttle]

"Hangars": BattleFoam P.A.C.K. 432 & P.A.C.K. 216 with custom & pluck foams "Battlefields": 3 x Gale Force 9 Mats

#2 Forensicus

Forensicus

• Members
  • 521 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 03:09 PM

Okay, so here is the battle report again but in still image version (I know that the video is a bit long and I haven't had time to edit to or speed up the waste time between movement/shooting.
The battle report is made as accurate as possible from the video and my memory using the Vassalengine. There are small/minor adjustments during the reconstructon.
Hopefully you will find this interesting:

Gil (on the left) with yellow dots  ;)

"X Wing Elite" 100 points:

Wedge + R2, PTL
Luke + R2-D2, DTF, Shield Upgrade
Wes Janson + VI

and Niko (me) on the right :
"WWI" 99 points:
Ibitsam + Oppurtunist, HLC
Wes Janson + VI
Wedge + Determination

Asteroid placement:
I had the initiative bid and took it with my 99 points in order to gain the advantage with Wes (removing either a Focus, Evade or TL) prior to my opponents Wes. Since I often feel quite comfortable maneuvering in a dense asteroid field I was happy to that it became so..
Regionals_1.png

Deployment: Ibtisam was placed first and I wanted to test my opponent, so I put her up sideways near the middle and then waited to see where Luke was placed. Luke was placed in lower left (screen) corner, so then I decided that Wedge and Wes should follow suit.
My opponent kept a slightly more loose formation with his Wedge II and an indication of wanting to flank with Wes II.
Regionals_2.png

Round 1: In order to attempt to force the battle in to the thick of the asteroid field (Nope, asteroids do not concern me either) so All my guys (and the fine lady) koiogran'ed in Round 1 while Gil went 4 forward with his 3 X-Wings
Regionals_3.png

End of Round 1, time for next dials......
Regionals_4.png

In the following I will split up the moves and actions for each ship

Round 2: Ibtisam moves first with  a 1 Right bank shedding the stress followed by a Barrel Roll for better positioning in next round.
Regionals_5.png

Luke banks left and Focus
Regionals_6.png

My Wedge also does a 1 Right Bank and Focus
Regionals_7.png

Wedge II also banks, but goes long and leaps past Luke (important in next round)
Regionals_8.png

My Wes banks, loses Stress and takes a Focus
Regionals_9.png

Aaaand finally Wes II does a 3 Left Turn to line up for a flanking maneuver. This does worry me a little bit, but not too much. Since no one has range we swiftly move on to Round 3....
Regionals_10.png

to be continued.....

• rym likes this

Fleet: 1 x [YT-1300] -  5 x [X-Wing] - 4 x [A-Wing] -2 x [Y-Wing] - 2 x [HWK-290] - 4 x [B-Wing] - 1 x [Transport] - 1 x [Tantive IV]: 2 x [Firespray-31] - 8 x [Tie Fighters] - 6 x [Tie Interceptor] - 3 x [Tie Advanced] - 3 x [TIE-Bomber] - 3 x [Lambda Shuttle]

"Hangars": BattleFoam P.A.C.K. 432 & P.A.C.K. 216 with custom & pluck foams "Battlefields": 3 x Gale Force 9 Mats

#3 Forensicus

Forensicus

• Members
  • 521 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 03:33 PM

(Continued)

Round 3: (sry, don't know why this image is so small) Ibtisam moves 1 Forward and Barrel Rolls for positioning

Regionals_11.jpg

Luke is baffled to find Wedge parked in front of him, so he bumps and is distanced from the battle
Regionals_12.png

My Wedge does another banking and Focus
Regionals_13.png

Wedge II creeps 1 forward and uses PtL to Focus & TL on Ibtisam
Regionals_14.png

Wes does a 2 Right Bank and moves up next to Wedge and also Focus
Regionals_15.png

aaaand finally Wes II turns in with a 2 Right Turn and Focus. He does have excellent positioning on Ibtisam but will not gain any benefit from his ability since Ibtisam BR'd. And I see that he will likely have some maneuvering issues  in the next round.... but on to shooting
Regionals_16.png

My Wes opens up the Round 3 Combat Phase: Since all my ships managed to successfully to position them facing towards Wedge he seems like the obvious choice: Wes strips off 1 Shield shooting at Range 2 through the asteroid and removes the Focus in order to line Ibtisam up later
Regionals_17.png

Wes II returns fire and shoots straight at Ibtisam, but she escapes with "just" losing 2 Shields
Regionals_18.png

Next up is Wedge who is facing his nemesis and evil twin Wedge II. Removing 1 Green Dice and shooting at Range 2 Wedge easily stripped of the last Shield and dealt a Hit, bringing Wedge II down to 2 Hull
Regionals_19.png

Wedge II is miffed and charges with TL against a defenseless (and diceless) Ibtisam. This is NO WAY to treat a lady IMO, but the Dice gods were with me and she only loses 2 more shields. Now all the pressure is on the shoulders of an adopted son from a moisture farm......
Regionals_20.png

(to be continued)

#4 Kimo-san

Kimo-san

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 03:54 PM

Awesome battle rep., nice one mate

• Forensicus likes this

#5 Forensicus

Forensicus

• Members
  • 521 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 04:02 PM

Round 3 continued...

Luke tries a shot at Ibtisam but misses
Regionals_21.png

So Ibtisam pulls herself together and takes a Stress to activate Opportunist which (with a Stress reroll) lands 4 or 5 Hits on Wedge II which severely exceeds his damage capacity and he is blown away forever..
Regionals_22b.png

Wedge II is no more....
Regionals_22c.png

Round 4: Ibtisam creeps 1 Forward and Barrel Rolls to keep the distance and hopefully have arc on Luke while either blocking or avoiding Wes II
Regionals_23.png

Luke doesn't realize the danger and also creeps 1 Forward and Focus.
Regionals_24.png

And then Wedge and Wes shows their maneuvering skills; first Wedge performs a 2 Left Bank narrowly/easily avoiding the asteroid..
Regionals_25.png

This makes Wes confident that he can do a 3 Left Bank which he does and decides on a TL on Luke
Regionals_26.png

Surprisingly Wes II decides to blast through the asteroid in front of him and loses a Shield
Regionals_27.png

on to Round 4 Combat Phase...

#6 Forensicus

Forensicus

• Members
  • 521 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 04:25 PM

Round 4 Combat Phase:

Wes opens the combat with a TL'd shot at Range 1 on Luke. He only lands 2 Hits which Luke easily cancels with his Focus roll
Regionals_28.png

Wes II sees that things are becoming desperate and tries to save Luke before Ibtisam shots but only manages to take another Shield off her (and maybe also a Hull)
Regionals_29.png

Wedge then takes a Range 1 Focused shot at luke which severely dents Lukes X-Wing and strips 2 Shields. R2-D2 whirls and bleeps at the outlook of a huge workload
Regionals_30.png

Luke is dazed from the hit and takes the return Range 1 shot straight at Wes but without Focus (and/or Obi Wan) he only succeeds in stripping 1 Shield.
Regionals_31.png

Ibtisam realizes the seriousness of the situation and immediately takes a new Stress and Opportunistically she fires her HLC for the second time with a reroll................and SUCCESS!!! 4 Hits goes straight through Luke's defenses (rolls 2 Blanks) and this tears of the last remaining Shield and destroys all 3 Hull points and kills off Luke in a swift blow....
Regionals_35.png

After this my opponent decided that it didn't make sense to go on and very sportsmanship like conceded the match. So my WWI squad could return to base and let Wes II leave the battlefield to tell the story....

And finally a very tired but happy 2014 Regionals winner:

2014_07_06_19_47_56.jpg

Thx for reading, let me know what you think of the battle report.

Fly Casual...

• Cremate, InstantAequitas and Texx like this

#7 Hessen

Hessen

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 02:07 AM

Very nicely done video. Good use of the text bar. Well played. Opportunist time :)

• Forensicus likes this

#8 Forensicus

Forensicus

• Members
  • 521 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 02:13 AM

Very nicely done video. Good use of the text bar. Well played. Opportunist time :)

TY, I went with the news ticker text bar because I like how it doesn't distract too much away from the action. And then I got lucky with the timing between music, action and the text timing.

And yes, Ibby was the one that really pulled through for me, she scored so many kills. Very lucky to knock out Luke in the final with that shot, but I guess that's why they call it Opportunist. It works so well with her ability.

Keep safe and Fly Casual

#9 Forensicus

Forensicus

• Members
  • 521 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 02:15 AM

My Ibtisam shrine of worship:

2014_07_06_21_25_54.jpg
  • rym likes this

#10 Rignuth

Rignuth

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 01:43 PM

Wow nice work here man.

#11 Cremate

Cremate

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 06:03 PM

Nice report - especially liked the vassalised version. Once again, congratulations on the victory.

And as a curious Dane living - and X-Wing'ing - abroad, how many participants did a regional in Copenhagen draw?

#12 Forensicus

Forensicus

• Members
  • 521 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 06:18 AM

Nice report - especially liked the vassalised version. Once again, congratulations on the victory.

And as a curious Dane living - and X-Wing'ing - abroad, how many participants did a regional in Copenhagen draw?

Hi and thx for the kind words. So you are expatriated in Holland? Congrats on the 3rd place at the World Cup last night, must be a fun place to celebrate ;-)

We were 22 players, originally 25-26 signed up but a few dropped out or rather no show, so we ended at 22, so luckily no byes in play. We played 5 Swiss Rounds and then cut to Top 4. You can find more details here

And please feel free to join up at our Copenhagen X-Wings FB group you you want to keep touch with the Danish X-Wing milieu, we are always looking to branch out, and possibly have game options when voting other country ;-)

Niko

#13 Cremate

Cremate

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 08:56 AM

Hi and thx for the kind words. So you are expatriated in Holland? Congrats on the 3rd place at the World Cup last night, must be a fun place to celebrate ;-)

Not much. The ratio of fireworks and honking cars in the street was far less than after any of the previous World Cup matches. I guess it was a bit of an anti-climax at this stage.

And I did join the FB group, seeing I already know a couple of friends in your Copenhagen crew. I'm fortunate that there are a lot of X-Wings events happening around here, being situated in the Randstad (Haag, Leiden, Amsterdam, Utrecht etc) with at minimum one nearby tournament every week.

However, fun to keep in touch with what's happening back home - might even be available for a VASSAL game now and then.

• Forensicus likes this

#14 Forensicus

Forensicus

• Members
  • 521 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:26 AM

Animation of the standings during the 5 Swiss Rounds and the Top 4 games:

Edited by Forensicus, 16 July 2014 - 01:26 AM.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS