Card Sleeves for Core Set

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 lucmobz

lucmobz

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 10:55 AM

Ahoy, I just discovered this cool website (I am new to these kind of board games and such) and I am planning to buy the core set from the online shop, I'd also like to buy some sleeves but have no idea how big the cards (maybe there are different sizes) and what kind of sleeves I need (americans, european ehm...what), I only know there are 226 cards in the box.

So whoever already owns those fancy sleeves can be so kind to tell me what kind of sleeves and how many I need for the whole set? Thanks in advance!

PS: I am thinking of clear transparent sleeves btw.

#2 Khamul The Easterling

Khamul The Easterling

• Members
  • 623 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 11:39 AM

I am planning to buy the core set from the online shop, 

I would highly recommend not to do that.  Get it on amazon, ebay, coolstuff inc or miniature market.  You are going to be paying way more buying stuff from this website just because its Fantasy Flight's Website.  For example, the core set is only $30 on Amazon with free shipping.  But its going to be around $50 (with shipping costs) if you get it from fantasy flight online store.   Same product for $20 more.  You could use that $20 to buy 2 Adventure Packs or a duluxe expansion.  Its your money but I thought I'd let you know that you can get it a lot cheaper.  

Anyways, for sleeve size you need "Standard Sleeves"  or sometimes called "Standard Card Game Sleeves" They are 63.5 x 88 MM.  What brand of sleeve you get is a very controversial issue.  Although each brand is "Standard Card Game Sleeves", they all are slightly different in size, quality and feel.  This is what I can tell you.

Ultra Pro Sleeves - They have a small, little hologram circle on the bottom corner of the sleeves which some people find annoying.  These sleeves fit the card very well however.  Fairly cheap.  

Dragon Shield Sleeves - These are top tier sleeves.  Very high quality and fit cards almost perfectly.  However, these are very expensive sleeves.  

Mayday Sleeves - They fit the cards very good.  They are the cheapest sleeves out there.  Not as high quality as Dragon Shield but they still are sleeves and they protect your cards.  Personally, my favorite.

Fantasy Flight Sleeves - They are made just a little bit big.  They have a little flap of extra sleeve on the top and a tiny bit on the sides.  These are very good sleeves however.  If you don't mind a tiny bit of extra space.  These are aren't cheap, but less than Dragon Shield.  

Ultra Pro and Mayday actually have about 3-4 different types of quality sleeve for standard card sleeves.

For example Mayday has 3 different quality Standard Card Game sleeves. They have:

Almost a penny sleeves (Lower quality) 

Card Game Sleeves (Average Quality) 

Premium Card Sleeves (Higher Quality)

They are all fit LOTR LCG but they are just different quality, feel and how perfect the fit.   

Same thing goes with Ultra Pro's. 

You have to decide if you want higher quality and pay more or the opposite. 

Yes I know, buying sleeves is very confusing......I'd recommend buying a few different kinds and seeing which ones you like best, then get a bunch more and sleeve your game. 

Hope this is helpful,

Khamul

Edited by Khamul The Easterling, 06 July 2014 - 11:44 AM.

• Catastrophic09 and Olorin93 like this

Now at that time the Chieftain of the Ringwraiths dwelt in Minas Morgul with six companions, while the second to the Chief, Khamul the Shadow of the East, abode in Dol Guldur as Sauron's Lieutenant, with one other as his messenger."  - Unfinished Tales

#3 lucmobz

lucmobz

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 01:34 PM

Many thanks for the thourough response! Much appreciated, I'll keep your advice in mind! To be honest I live in Europe and will probably find the same product for a reasonable price without ordering from the US, (even though it's gonna be harder to find them).

#4 CJMatos

CJMatos

• Members
  • 393 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 01:50 PM

This is a good site to order the game and it is free shipping...

http://www.bookdepository.com/

• lucmobz likes this

Carlos José Matos

#5 Khamul The Easterling

Khamul The Easterling

• Members
  • 623 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 04:07 PM

To be honest I live in Europe 

Oh, didn't know that.  Oops.  Never mind some of the stuff I said than.   :)

Now at that time the Chieftain of the Ringwraiths dwelt in Minas Morgul with six companions, while the second to the Chief, Khamul the Shadow of the East, abode in Dol Guldur as Sauron's Lieutenant, with one other as his messenger."  - Unfinished Tales

#6 lucmobz

lucmobz

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 05:58 AM

This is a good site to order the game and it is free shipping...

http://www.bookdepository.com/

Guess it's too good, not even the time to put money on my card and all the stuff I wanted is sold out ahah, guess I am gonna have to wait, thanks anyway!

#7 chyron8472

chyron8472

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 10:43 PM

I've done quite a bit of research myself on this.

LOTR LCG cards are standard playing card size. Card sleeves that fit such as Magic the Gathering cards will fit them.

First, get normal sized sleeves, not the smaller "perfect fit" or "pro fit" ones. Those are meant to be the inner sleeve when double sleeving your cards, and are so precisely sized that some of your cards (depending on the print run they came from) might be a millimeter too wide and thus won't fit. (This happened to me.)

KMC Hyper Mat (made in Japan) and Dragon Shield (made in Denmark) are the best card sleeves you can get. Ultra Pro (made in China) is cheap and not particularly worth it. I don't recommend FFG's card sleeves because they are somewhat longer than the length of the cards, and thus have too much excess sleeve on the open end.

They seem expensive when you think $10 for a box of 100 Dragoin Shields or $8 for a package of 80 KMCs, especially when you have 226 cards in the core set alone, but that price is pretty much the average price for anything but penny sleeves and Ultra Pro. Trust me, I've tried Ultra Pro. Dragon Shield and KMC are far better as far as protection and have a better shuffle feel to them as well.

Edited by chyron8472, 22 July 2014 - 10:47 PM.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS