• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#61 Adeptus-B

Adeptus-B

Part-Time Super Villian

• Members
  • 1,945 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 02:44 PM

What I would LOVE to see is a Eldar Corsair/Exodite/Craftworld Eldar Supplement for RT. 

People have been asking for an Eldar-based game since these Forums began. I have to assume that either one is in the works, or GW has specifically vetoed the possibility, for whatever reason...

#62 Traejun

Traejun

• Members
  • 338 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 01:19 AM

Rogue Trader 2. So we can get to DW 2 faster. Gamgee said this.

Definetly in agreement. RT 2 will be better and DW 2... would just be the best.

Oh god, DW1 was bad/boring enough. No need for a second edition of a pure combat game. Now, RT2... that would be money.
  • Tenebrae and UncleSickey like this

#63 Fgdsfg

Fgdsfg

Lrod-Iniquitsor

• Members
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 02:54 AM

What I would LOVE to see is a Eldar Corsair/Exodite/Craftworld Eldar Supplement for RT.

People have been asking for an Eldar-based game since these Forums began. I have to assume that either one is in the works, or GW has specifically vetoed the possibility, for whatever reason...

Or, FFG simply judged that it'd be too niche or hard to build on with available material, or get a viable angle.

Really, there's a sea of possibility, aside from GW vetoing it. I'm not saying that GW didn't, just that FFG might have judged the idea non-viable all on their own.

Now, an Eldar supplement, though.. the lack of that is just straight-up odd, especially considering Soul Reaver and the recent Tau supplement.

Edited by Fgdsfg, 21 July 2014 - 02:55 AM.

Real men earn their fun

Unified WH40kRP Ruleset Homebrew - Personal Notes
Talking Necrons. Dreadknights. Centurion Armour. Sororitas-murdering Grey Knights.
These things are dumb and do not exist. This is non-negotiable and undebatable.

#64 Wincent

Wincent

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 03:37 AM

I've got impression that after skimming through those boards someone in FFG find out that lots of people play as rogue-rogue traders and as such would play more fitting DE than disciplinned craftworld ones. We also got Hostile Acqusitions instead of something like Noble Crusade for a reason.

There was also time when lots of players complained about too much eldars in sourcebooks (Edge of Abyss, Bestiary, Navis Primer, Lure of Expanse, Fallen Suns all have sections about craftworld Eldars - tbh the only thing we haven't got about them is character and ship creation rules).

Why they haven't went with Soul Reaver into Corsairs which suit RT most and can be tailored more easly into both DE and CE is beyond me.

• Utherix likes this

#65 Fgdsfg

Fgdsfg

Lrod-Iniquitsor

• Members
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 05:16 AM

I've got impression that after skimming through those boards someone in FFG find out that lots of people play as rogue-rogue traders and as such would play more fitting DE than disciplinned craftworld ones. We also got Hostile Acqusitions instead of something like Noble Crusade for a reason.
There was also time when lots of players complained about too much eldars in sourcebooks (Edge of Abyss, Bestiary, Navis Primer, Lure of Expanse, Fallen Suns all have sections about craftworld Eldars - tbh the only thing we haven't got about them is character and ship creation rules).

Why they haven't went with Soul Reaver into Corsairs which suit RT most and can be tailored more easly into both DE and CE is beyond me.

I would consider arguments against Craftworld Eldar and Dark Eldar about equally valid, because there are issues with both that are completely legit. Craftworld Eldar would be unlikely to operate outside the Craftworld command- or social structure, and the Dark Eldar are sociopaths by design; furthermore, both are basically part of societies that doesn't really lend itself well to participating in a Rogue Trader venture or endeavour that doesn't specifically deal with their issues.

Corsairs, though? Would make perfect sense. Corsairs and Exodite Eldar would be the most likely to communicate and reason with a Rogue Trader, both as groups and on a personal level. They are also greatly underexposed eldar with lots of potentially to be fluffed out more fully.
  • Magnus Grendel and Tenebrae like this

Real men earn their fun

Unified WH40kRP Ruleset Homebrew - Personal Notes
Talking Necrons. Dreadknights. Centurion Armour. Sororitas-murdering Grey Knights.
These things are dumb and do not exist. This is non-negotiable and undebatable.

#66 Radwraith

Radwraith

• Members
  • 923 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 05:43 AM

I would consider arguments against Craftworld Eldar and Dark Eldar about equally valid, because there are issues with both that are completely legit. Craftworld Eldar would be unlikely to operate outside the Craftworld command- or social structure, and the Dark Eldar are sociopaths by design; furthermore, both are basically part of societies that doesn't really lend itself well to participating in a Rogue Trader venture or endeavour that doesn't specifically deal with their issues.

Corsairs, though? Would make perfect sense. Corsairs and Exodite Eldar would be the most likely to communicate and reason with a Rogue Trader, both as groups and on a personal level. They are also greatly underexposed eldar with lots of potentially to be fluffed out more fully.

I agree with this. In my opinion, an argument could be made that Eldar Corsairs are the rough Eldar equivalent to Imperial Rogue traders. They operate separate from but rarely in opposition to their Craftworld kin.

• Tenebrae and Fgdsfg like this

#67 venkelos

venkelos

• Members
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 06:59 AM

I would also love to see an Eldar supplement. A book with some nice rules for Eldar as characters would be nice, be they Corsairs or more Craftworld-like Rangers; I agree that, in many ways, a more "traditional" Craftworld Eldar would be pushing it as an ally, much of the time, but something that more fleshes out some of their activities, their schemes, and how players might weave through the lairs of deception, and TRY to ally with them a bit more, and benefit from it, at least for a while, would be good. More stuff on their ships and gear might be nice, as well as rules on how the Webway works. I know we already have some of that stuff, but a more concise, all-in-one-place book wouldn't hurt my feelings.

Edited by venkelos, 21 July 2014 - 07:01 AM.

#68 Errant Knight

Errant Knight

• Members
  • 518 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:46 AM

I'm in agreement with those posting for an expanded game tree.  Most groups (not me, I'm old and have a family, career, etc.) seem to do the weekly gaming session.  Given average XP gains, this means the group will top out their characters in a 2-year campaign, which is about how long most campaigns last before life changes break them up, BUT there is that occasional campaign you play/run that goes the distance, that one that keeps bringing you back to RPGs decades later, and FFG should consider that.  It both adds long-term marketability to their products and feeds the addictions of their loyal fan base that has already used their products to their maximum potential.

I love some of the ideas already posted here.  In short, someone said "EPIC" RT, and that's the ticket.  35K XP isn't enough.  I ran one that went that distance and they ended up with characters simply fleshing out those skills they always wanted with elite advances, but my players wanted more and I didn't feel like coming up with super-powers (new Talents).  The logistics and mechanical side of me likes the ideas of fleshed out PF.  For that matter, redo PF and AP bonuses; they're both silly and don't stand the test of time.  Great ideas, poor execution.

Yes, give us a book that extends campaigns past the ~100 session limit.

I'm not a fan of playing aliens.  While I'd love to see a book with 50 alien species drawn up with enough detail to use them as opponents, I don't care for a book with 8 alien species drawn up with enough detail to be PCs.  Just give me a base statline, a boss, and some ship examples.  I can do the rest before a game session.

#69 Wincent

Wincent

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:42 AM

A bit of fan fiction:

Lord Admiral

Introduction……………………………….4

What’s in the book?

Chapter I: Peer of the Imperium

Of the mightest……………………….7

Lord Admiral……………………………..8

Astropath Ascended………………………12

Chem-Astarte……………………………16

Arch-Magos…………………………………..20

Cardinal………………………………………24

Novator………………………………………………28

Silent Master………………………………….32

Ace of Space …………………………………..36

Chapter II: Road less travelled

Corsairs………………………….41

Corsair Prince……………………………..43

Dream-weaver………………………………47

Free spirit………………………………….51

Craftworld envoy…………………………….55

Chapter III: Jericho Crusade

Greater good………………….60

Arch-enemy…………………..70

Devourer of worlds………………..80

Immortals …………………..90

Chapter IV: Adeptus Terra

Founding new Sectors……….101

Crusade…………………..102

Vox populi…………………………104

Politics…………………………..106

Administration……………………110

Chapter V: Vaults of Terra

Relics ……………………………115

Into the Golden Palace ………….120

This isn't well though of - guess I got too much time in job;) .

• Nameless2all, Marwynn, Ruwalk and 2 others like this

#70 Utherix

Utherix

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 10:25 PM

After playing and reading some more, I'm going to have to change my answer. My previous answer was "a book on all things large scale", but they covered that as good as they're going to in Battlefleet Koronus. 

My new answer would be a second expansion like Intro the Storm. More alternate ranks, more items, rules for playing as Eldar, and adventure seeds. Would be amazing!

Actually, what Wincet posted above me is almost exactly what I had in mind. Its almost as if, to the player, the next expansion to Rogue Trader is self-evident.

#71 CardinalBiggles

CardinalBiggles

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 03:48 PM

Every Rogue Trader Dynasty will have had some kind of dealings with every Imperial organisation.  Some of these dealings are sure to have left a legacy, good or bad.

For example, the Adeptus Arbites might have a down on a Dynasty for having used influence to wriggle though a loophole in an otherwise air-tight case.  Conversely the Dynasty might have helped the Arbites secure a conviction against a rival Dynasty who now hate the PC's Dynasty.

#72 Psion

Psion

• Members
  • 417 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 08:17 PM

After looking through this thread, here's my two thrones on the table:

- Rogue Trader 2nd Edition:  Maybe, maybe.  It depends on what they do and what DH 2nd Edition successfully brought to the table (haven't seen that yet so I can't really say.)  I have to be the second to vote a resounding "NO!" to a second run of Deathwatch though.

- More rules on established Dynasties like others have said, how they operate, what kind of assets they can have, different kinds of dynasties, as well as rules for expanding both the established Dynasties and the new ones with the PCs exploits and political maneuverings.

- Explorator Supplement:  Like what Lathe Worlds was for DH, famous explorator fleets, more ships, ship components, alternate careers, and gear for Explorators, and finally wrap it up with rules for Explorator crews and adventures.

- Expanded Tau rules:  More castes, more Tau equipment and ships, more glimpses into how the Tau operate.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS