Difficulty?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Mike1977

Mike1977

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 07:34 AM

So in looking at the core rules... there are 3 difficulty of scenarios (1, 4, 7).

I'm wondering what to buy next, but I would like easier scenarios more then harder ones...

Is there somewhere I can see what products have easier scenarios?

#2 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

the Opener of Ways

• Members
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 07:38 AM

buy everything in oder

note that difficulty comes not just from the quest itself, but from the card pool you have access to.

Edited by MyNeighbourTrololo, 04 July 2014 - 07:39 AM.

That's cursed table-talk, and I'll stick you, if you don't shut it down, see?'

#3 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,816 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 09:14 AM

yes, difficulty in this game is something that changes over time - those core quests can easily be beaten with a full card pool, but are far more challenging...

to directly answer you though - i would say go in order also. hunt for gollum is next and is a nice medium quest. conflict at the carrock has a high difficulty rating but with the right deck and strategy its quite easy. rhosgobel has a reputation for being luck based - its difficult. emyn muil is very easy, one of the easiest released. dead marshes is medium -  a nice quest. and return to mirkwood is a great multi quest, but difficult solo

Richard

• DurinIII likes this

My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

#4 Khamul The Easterling

Khamul The Easterling

• Members
  • 599 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 09:22 AM

Hi Mike,

Almost everyone has lots of trouble beating the scenario's with just the core set.  Especially the second and third quests.  The player cards you get in the core set are very limited and few.  I can see why you are wanting easier quests now!   However as you build up your card pool bigger and bigger, the quests will get easier.   In fact the players who have bought everything released for the game (including me) find most of the earlier scenario's quite easy now.  That's why they have released nightmare packs for those older quests but that's a whole different story and you won't be needing nightmare packs for a long time!  I would strongly suggest buying in order.  That would mean buying the 6 Adventure packs in the Mirkwood cycle.  Richsabre did a great job describing the quests above.  

Tales From the Cards is a great blog that has lots of good guides for new players.  Here is an amazing new player buying guide from that website.  Check it out!   http://talesfromthec...r-buying-guide/

Hall of Beorn is also a great blog.  The writer has an outstanding playthrough for the core set quests and the Mirkwood quests.  He also provides help for deck building.  Definitely check that out too!  http://hallofbeorn.w...om/beorns-path/

Have fun and feel free to ask questions,

Khamul

• richsabre, Glaurung and danpoage like this

Now at that time the Chieftain of the Ringwraiths dwelt in Minas Morgul with six companions, while the second to the Chief, Khamul the Shadow of the East, abode in Dol Guldur as Sauron's Lieutenant, with one other as his messenger."  - Unfinished Tales

#5 klaymen_sk

klaymen_sk

• Members
  • 364 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 10:27 AM

I'd just like to add that you shouldn't take the FFG difficulty rating too seriously (read: ignore it completely). They're nothing more than a bunch of random numbers pulled out of someone's behind.

There was even a post on one blog with updated ratings. Was it Tales from the Cards?

"To each of us falls a task. And all the Emperor requires of us Guardsmen is that we stand in line, and we die fighting. It is what we do best: we die standing."

-General Sturnn, Cadian 412th regiment

#6 Khamul The Easterling

Khamul The Easterling

• Members
  • 599 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 10:45 AM

I'd just like to add that you shouldn't take the FFG difficulty rating too seriously (read: ignore it completely). They're nothing more than a bunch of random numbers pulled out of someone's behind.

There was even a post on one blog with updated ratings. Was it Tales from the Cards?

Yeah it was on Tales from the Cards but it wasn't Ian who wrote it.  I personally think that that post with the updated ratings was just as bad as Fantasy Flight's.  

Now at that time the Chieftain of the Ringwraiths dwelt in Minas Morgul with six companions, while the second to the Chief, Khamul the Shadow of the East, abode in Dol Guldur as Sauron's Lieutenant, with one other as his messenger."  - Unfinished Tales

#7 deeth82

deeth82

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 07:03 AM

Like others here, I would also suggest you purchase the scenarios in order.  Also, like klaymen and Khamul stated, the posted difficulty levels aren't entirely accurate.  The most consistent difficulty you will face will be that generated by luck of the draw.  

For example, I'm new to the game and own all AP's of the Shadows of Mirkwood cycle, as well as the deluxe Khazad-Dum expansion.  Twice I have been solo playing Journey Along the Anduin and of course, the first Quest card says to draw a Hill Troll to the Staging Area if one hasn't been drawn already.  Lucky me, both times I have drawn from the Encounter deck, I've gotten the Hill Troll first try (lower starting Threat level).  The first time I solo'd this scenario, my next encounter deck draws were low-threat enemies that I was able to dispatch in the staging area using Dunhere's special ability, and after avoiding engagement with the Hill Troll, I was able to finally take him on with several allies (including Gandalf) in play.  I beat that first scenario card without losing a single hero, or getting my threat level near 30.  Ended up barely scraping through the quest and lost Dwalin along the way, but all was good.  The fact that I completed it all in true Solo mode was quite refreshing!

Fast forward to two nights ago where I solo'd that scenario for the second time...first draw was Hill Troll, alright!  Good luck streak, right?  Wrong...wrong!  First Encounter deck draw after that was the other Hill Troll.  Most of the draws from my deck in the subsequent turns were great cards, but only in certain situations that weren't currently valid.  It wasn't long until I hit Threat level 30, and down come both Hill Trolls to engage...and me sitting there with no Gandalf in play (had 2 in my deck...somewhere).  I lost all my heroes on the first Quest card....game over.  And it literally had more to do with the luck of the draw than anything else.  

Sure, you can deck-build to your heart's content (I'm still learning...got a ways to go, though) to offset the chances that you'll have bad draws, but sometimes Lady Luck is not on your side and you will get your metaphorical guts stomped out.  For added challenge, try taking an entire sphere's Ally/Event/Attachment cards and using all of them with randomized shuffling on the Passage Through Mirkwood quest.  Difficulty level 1?  You can still get murdered badly; sometimes even with two players.  

To me, the fun in this game exists in the challenge level and the overall flavor/quest creativity.  Somedays it seems like I'm wielding the Golden Deck of Losslessness, others I scrape by with a hard-fought win, and still others I feel like the Gaming Gods have combined their powers for the sole purpose of my undoing.  Learn to love the challenges and see them as they are: Merely obstacles to overcome!  If you won every game, you'd most certainly be bored before long.  A few years ago, I would never have imagined myself playing a card game, much less a Living Card Game such as this, but its design overall is wonderful, and the challenge always keeps me coming back.  
:)     

• TwiceBornh and iznax like this

"Death! Ride, ride to ruin and the world’s ending!”

#8 TwiceBornh

TwiceBornh

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 02:40 PM

I agree 100% with deeth82. I'm also a relatively new player to this game (and to LCGs in general), but I have managed to beat Journey Along the Anduin a few times, straight solo using a 50-card deck from only one Core set (the last win was an epic 24 round monstrosity that ended when my threat was at 49!!!).

As for Escape from Dol Guldur… My girlfriend and I played it in 2-player mode a week or so ago, and we got 15 tokens on the second stage but both our threats exceeded 50 shortly thereafter. We even killed the Nazgul (and he's one deadly MF)! Certainly, we had bad luck along the way, and I imagine you must need exceptionally good luck to defeat that scenario using only one Core set (I am almost ready to concede that it can't be done straight solo with a 50-card deck made from one Core set).

I have bought the entire Mirkwood cycle, but have only played The Hunt for Gollum so far (won 2 out of 4 solo games, and won my very first game using the same 50-card solo "Core only" deck I had used to defeat Journey Along the Anduin). I have really been milking the Core set and its scenarios for all their worth, and want to enjoy each scenario and AP to the max rather than rushing through to never play them again. There are so many possibilities with this game. So far, I have really enjoyed growing as a player by following the game's chronological releases, so I too recommend you start with all the APs in the Mirkwood cycle and move on from there.

And I couldn't agree more with the last paragraph in deeth82's post...

Edited by TwiceBornh, 22 July 2014 - 03:04 PM.

• Dain Ironfoot and deeth82 like this

#9 deeth82

deeth82

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 07:34 AM

I agree 100% with deeth82. I'm also a relatively new player to this game (and to LCGs in general), but I have managed to beat Journey Along the Anduin a few times, straight solo using a 50-card deck from only one Core set (the last win was an epic 24 round monstrosity that ended when my threat was at 49!!!).

As for Escape from Dol Guldur… My girlfriend and I played it in 2-player mode a week or so ago, and we got 15 tokens on the second stage but both our threats exceeded 50 shortly thereafter. We even killed the Nazgul (and he's one deadly MF)! Certainly, we had bad luck along the way, and I imagine you must need exceptionally good luck to defeat that scenario using only one Core set (I am almost ready to concede that it can't be done straight solo with a 50-card deck made from one Core set).

I have bought the entire Mirkwood cycle, but have only played The Hunt for Gollum so far (won 2 out of 4 solo games, and won my very first game using the same 50-card solo "Core only" deck I had used to defeat Journey Along the Anduin). I have really been milking the Core set and its scenarios for all their worth, and want to enjoy each scenario and AP to the max rather than rushing through to never play them again. There are so many possibilities with this game. So far, I have really enjoyed growing as a player by following the game's chronological releases, so I too recommend you start with all the APs in the Mirkwood cycle and move on from there.

And I couldn't agree more with the last paragraph in deeth82's post...

Funny thing, I never played Magic or other CCG's or LCG's before...I was a videogamer at heart...spent years playing PC/Console shooters and RPG's, and I think my gateway into this type of game was actually the "Souls" videogame series by From Software (Demon's Souls/Dark Souls 1 and 2).  The overall atmosphere enveloped me, and the challenge level sometimes frustrated me, but kept me coming back for more!  After I decided I was done buying new PC/Console components every two years, I got back into board/card games, and loving the original novels of LOTR, I decided to "try it out".  Been hooked for a few months now.  I'm still waiting to see if my wife thinks this is a good thing or not.  Obviously it can be an expensive habit after purchasing AP's/DEXP's/Sleeves, but it's the quietest game I've ever played, and she probably appreciates that I'm not hurling swear words at a TV screen anymore.  
:)

Back on topic: I love the challenge this game presents!  I went back to Journey Along The Anduin one more time ("Just one more game!") last night, only this time I took the entire Spirit deck and shuffled out all of the cards I deemed worthless towards this endeavor.  As before, I was using Eowyn + Dunhere + Dwalin.  I started off with Chieftain Ufthak and the Hill Troll in the staging area, and turtled my way (just a bit) through building my Ally/Event/Attachment pool over the course of a few rounds.  Having built the deck a little more, I was able to reduce my threat level into the low teens early on and give myself a little breathing room before engaging these behemoths, while Dunhere casually sniped the lesser enemies in the staging area and Eowyn + allies put some progress tokens down.  After having finally drawn Gandalf, it was time to take on the baddies.  Two rounds with the Hill Troll and one each with the Marsh Adder + Ufthak later, and I was one token short of moving forward, and....drew the second Hill Troll.  Took him on and lost Gandalf, but moved forward and continued down the river, clearing all the enemies at the end.  Building the deck a little more attentively made the whole thing manageable, though it was still challenging!  I really can't say enough about how much fun I'm having with this game, and I haven't even started the Dwarrowdelf cycle!

Edit: Sorry, I forgot to mention this earlier, but you have some guts taking on these scenarios with only the core set!  I only had the core set for about a week, and after playing a few times I decided it was time to get Mirkwood and K-D.  Kudos to you!

Edited by deeth82, 23 July 2014 - 07:43 AM.

• TwiceBornh and PsychoRocka like this

"Death! Ride, ride to ruin and the world’s ending!”

#10 TwiceBornh

TwiceBornh

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 08:00 PM

Edit: Sorry, I forgot to mention this earlier, but you have some guts taking on these scenarios with only the core set!  I only had the core set for about a week, and after playing a few times I decided it was time to get Mirkwood and K-D.  Kudos to you!

Guts? Nah… I'm just a stubborn masochist…  :) I've had K-D for a while as well, but still haven't taken the shrink-wrap off it.

But all the same, thanks for the kudos.

Edited by TwiceBornh, 29 July 2014 - 08:01 PM.

• deeth82 likes this

#11 Eldainorn

Eldainorn

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 01:06 AM

I, for one, am thinking that maybe this game is getting just a bit too easy, at least the Dwarrowdelf cycle. Yes, I am a little behind, but so far own almost everything (5 APs in ATS cycle missing and some from the first two cycles.)

I always play with just the cards released up to the point of particular scenario I am playing.

Example:

I played TWitW, TLD and FoS. I 've never lost against TWitW, once against TLD. When I played FoS I won but I played wrong the nameless things, but even if I did play them the right way I doubt that I would lose. We'll see again today.

Maybe nightmare is the way to go now.

I also played HoN and, yes, the quests are really tough, so I am looking forward to the AtS cycle.

• deeth82 likes this

#12 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,816 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 03:11 AM

yes, the dwarrowdelf cycle is by far the easiest...power cards mixed with relatively easy quests...actually thats why its my favourite so far ;)

• DurinIII and deeth82 like this

#13 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

the Opener of Ways

• Members
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 03:29 AM

Deserving...?

That's cursed table-talk, and I'll stick you, if you don't shut it down, see?'

#14 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,816 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 10:42 AM

Deserving...?

an award? :D

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS