New Characters and Cards

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Deornwulf

Deornwulf

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 11:32 PM

1. IMHO, there is a need for a neutral and good version of the Dark Cultist.

2. It would be cool to see a character with the abilities of the Royal Masons or at least the ability to remove Freeland tokens.

3. The City needs some new cards. These could either come out with the next expansion or be a new expansion to the City Expansion itself. The obvious characters to include would be the Sheriff, King's Champion, Master Thief, High Mage, Animal Trainer, and High Priest.

#2 Nemomon

Nemomon

• Members
  • 787 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 12:38 AM

1. I don't think there will be. Neither designer I know would even consider releasing a new character (or just a piece of work) that would be just slightly different from another character.

2. I don't think this will happen either. The Fireland tokens appeared just in one expansion. In a game that has 10+ expansions. The characters must be universal, and should not being tied with expansions, because if someone doesn't want to play given expansion (doesn't want draw tokens &c), he still should be able to use that character freely.

3. The new City expansion is out of question for obvious reasons, but I hope to see someday an expansion that would add cards to some other already existing decks. For example the Purchase deck is so sad that when You have to steal a card from the Purchase deck &c You basically don't know what You want to get. Because everything there is more or less some useless crap. Except mules.

I think You should consider creating Your own homebrew characters for 1) and 2) ;)
Enter the Talisman Island!

#3 DomaGB

DomaGB

• Members
  • 353 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 01:45 AM

I still maintain that the 2nd edition City expansion is the best expansion for all Talisman editions, and mostly because of those master Characters.

I want them for 4th edition very very much!

RoboRally, then Talisman. That's the way it is... ;)

#4 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 614 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 05:06 AM

Back in the day, there was a little controversy about the Master characters. But we mostly couldn't discuss, like this, because, no internet. But I remember reading in some game mag at the time. I think in more recent years folks have commented on the Master characters in this or other forums, since it was pre-4th Ed.

I mostly didn't mind them, but they weren't for everyone as I recall.

I think Master characters could be re-visioned, in ways that we see dark/light fate have been.

Like the Destiny cards, there could be Ability cards, and perhaps 2, 3 or more types. Some more general and easy to earn a Trade certificate (card that proclaims the ability). These would possibly give you an edge to gain gold or fate possibly. Higher level abilities could include the Spirit travel, King/Sheriff abilities, etc.

#5 Alfax

Alfax

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 11:34 AM

They could create a deck of "Runestones" like they have in the digital version that players could use to give their characters extra abilities or something along those lines.

#6 Granville

Granville

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 11:55 PM

The runestones are not very popular either. Most DE players are confused by them and dont see the need for them (Though I believe the initial intention of them was to make games faster) You don't see them in online games hardly ever because people either didn't buy them or haven't earned them. So the runestones are one of the few things I would say are very unpopular with Digital Edition. -I like to use them in single player vs AI, where i'm either answering my own questions about card interaction or rules mechanics, or I just want no challenge at all and want to go stomping around the game board.

#7 Artaterxes

Artaterxes

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 07:03 AM

A lot of the Runestones in DE were house rules (e.g. trade trophies at 5, cast Command Spell more successfully). It was actually a brilliant idea for the DE, even if they aren't used, because it kept people from complaining that their favorite house rules weren't in the game. By making them Runestones, it made the menu of other house rules much smaller.

For the physical game, might not have the same impact...

#8 Deornwulf

Deornwulf

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 10:25 AM

Since we have the Warlock and the Alchemist wandering the board, I would love to see an expansion that brings the other characters on the board to life. Specifically, the Mystic, the Enchantress, the Doctor, the Royal Physician (Royal Doctor on the 4th edition board), the Blacksmith, the Farmer, the Healer, the Ranger, the Barbarian, and the Gambler.

Having the Doctor, Healer, and Royal Physician might seem repetitive, but small variations in the game mechanic they use to heal other characters or themselves could easily make all three very different to play. I know that Talisman Island has a download for some of these characters but I personally prefer official releases that have been tested by the pros.

Adding the Sentinel or Black Knight would round it out to 12 characters but I have no idea how to make them into playable characters that retain the flavor of their roles, unlike the other 10 characters. Some of the ones listed were even playable characters in previous editions.

Preferably these would come out in a character only expansion or an expansion that adds to every deck except the already huge Adventure deck as I mentioned in the starter post to this thread.

#9 jackyboy

jackyboy

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:31 AM

I loved the master level characters in the 2nd edition. It was always a race to get to be the high mage, then the lucky player that became him would Spell burn like there was no tomorrow! It did make the games a little unfair so some house rules were introduced (such as you need a minimum of Craft 6 before being the High Mage). It would be good to see the master level characters brought back for 4th edition, although I'd image it would only be done unofficially.

Perhaps a POD of characters/master level characters could be released??? I'd certainly get a copy :D

• DomaGB likes this

#10 adjogi

adjogi

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:53 PM

There's no reason at all a Master set of characters could not be released. The 2nd edition ones were indeed a little broken but, hey, we all still loved it! It would just need to be a little more balanced and it's a logical place for FFG to move to now that the corner expansions are all done with.

Welcome to "Monsters & Magic", a NJ based Talisman Game Club!

http://www.njtalisma...onstersandmagic

#11 DomaGB

DomaGB

• Members
  • 353 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:26 PM

Perhaps instead of randomly getting master characters, they could be earned by defeating the Eagle King, Lord of Darkness, and whatever awaits us in the new expansion...

#12 adjogi

adjogi

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:46 PM

Certainly the idea of going on some sort of quest or earning the right would be the way to go. In the 2nd edition you literally just had to show up!

• DomaGB likes this

Welcome to "Monsters & Magic", a NJ based Talisman Game Club!

http://www.njtalisma...onstersandmagic

#13 Uvatha

Uvatha

• Members
  • 416 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:23 PM

IMHO, there is a need for a neutral and good version of the Dark Cultist.

-Righteous-Avenger--Front-Face.jpg

#14 DomaGB

DomaGB

• Members
  • 353 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:11 PM

Also the next time the Eagle King or Lord of Darkness gets defeated, the master character moves to the new winner.

This could cause more player interaction! And might bring a bit more balance.

If a player turns in 10 wanted posters, he becomes the Sherriff.

If a player buys 1 item in each shop he becomes a master Merchant...

Edited by DomaGB, Yesterday, 09:13 PM.

#15 DomaGB

DomaGB

• Members
  • 353 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:14 PM

I may have to Homebrew this... :)

Edited by DomaGB, Yesterday, 09:15 PM.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS