• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Orca813

Orca813

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 09:11 PM

Hi all!

I just have a couple of quick questions about the future of Edge of the Empire now that the Age of Rebellion CRB is out.

1. Is FFG still going to come out with new adventure modules and sourcebooks beyond what has been announced? Or is everything now moving to AoR?

2. Does anyone know what new species will be available in Far Horizons?

I'm not looking for anything too specific, just some general info on the future at the fringes of the galaxy.

Thanks!

#2 2P51

2P51

• Members
  • 3,551 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 09:30 PM

They make a point of not announcing new products, but I think they've established a pattern that's fairly predictable.  We will likely get splatbooks for all the Careers with new specs.  We will get probably 2 published adventures a year and a regional sourcebook a year.  When you sort of lay that out, they will be releasing stuff through Spring of 2016 if they stick to the pattern so far.

Spring 2016 puts us squarely into one of the new trilogy released a couple months prior, loads of details of the the filler in between movie coming out next, an idea of what the trilogy will involve, and probably an idea of what the other two filler movies will be.  A couple seasons worth of Rebels and I think if FFG has the license still there will be plenty of material for follow on sourcebooks.

We do know that the race on the cover tends to be included in the books, so I would expect some kind of human variant at the least in Far Horizons.

• Col. Orange, I. J. Thompson, Ghostofman and 4 others like this

My group's Obsidian Portal campaign site: It's All in the Trigger Squeeze

#3 Rasguy

Rasguy

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 05:47 PM

I agree with 2P51 that they will finish out the career books and maybe one more regional sourcebook. I'm hoping for Hutt Space. The team is fairly small so I don't know how many product lines they can support releasing books for simultaneously.
  • edisung likes this

#4 ZachAttack

ZachAttack

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 06:01 PM

A couple of resource books would be nice too.

A compendium of ships and equipment, both existing and some new.

More one off adventures.

A book of generic plot hooks and general fluff.

#5 whafrog

whafrog

• Members
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 10:47 PM

1. Is FFG still going to come out with new adventure modules and sourcebooks beyond what has been announced? Or is everything now moving to AoR?

Since you can use everything in either ruleset, I'm not sure why it's a question.  EotE and AoR get support from everything released for either.

#6 Agatheron

Agatheron

• Members
  • 509 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 12:44 AM

I suppose it is a question, but frankly, the logical answer is "yes" since they're intending to keep the lines independent but compatible.

Mind you, my latest player in my EotE campaign wants to be a Toydarian Soldier/Medic. :) There's an interesting mix and match.

• kaosoe likes this

Official Contributor: Age of Rebellion: Stay on Target

#7 edisung

edisung

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 02:45 AM

Since you can use everything in either ruleset, I'm not sure why it's a question.  EotE and AoR get support from everything released for either.

well both systems are compatible, but strictly considering an adventure written for age of rebellion will likely involve you being a member of the alliance precludes EotE characters who haven't joined up yet.  if arda is any example, we'll get adventures made for each specific system that CAN be used by all systems if you campaign already overlaps, but is primarily targeted for one of the three systems.

Edited by edisung, 05 July 2014 - 02:47 AM.

#8 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 5,974 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 03:57 AM

well both systems are compatible, but strictly considering an adventure written for age of rebellion will likely involve you being a member of the alliance precludes EotE characters who haven't joined up yet.  if arda is any example, we'll get adventures made for each specific system that CAN be used by all systems if you campaign already overlaps, but is primarily targeted for one of the three systems.

I find that it's easier to pull Edge characters into Age adventure themes (through bribery/greed if nothing else) than it is to get Age (Rebel Alliance) characters to get into Edge adventure themes. Exceptions on both sides occur, but this has been my general experience with it in over 20 years of Star Wars gaming (way before the themes were separated by parallel game lines).

Ignore, Ignore, you must learn Ignore!

Now Ignoring: Nobody.

#9 bull30548

bull30548

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 09:20 AM

Well they give us examples of AoR characters who left the Rebellion to become a simple EotE character in the form of Sasha.  Now admittedly Sasha has a EotE career/specialization but she was part of the Rebellion until her squad got killed then she just gave up.  That one way you could have it go backwards if you need to is that the person gave up duty to take up the cause of obligation because that may have been less emotionally painful.  

As for book releases and what not I think the lines are actually all hammered out.  As repeatedly mentioned on the Order 66 podcast the FFG group is about a year ahead of us in way of what products and resources are available to us.  So my guess is they already have the layout of probably a career book for AoR done, another adventure for both EotE and AoR, and perhaps one if not two regional sourcebooks if that is the path they are on.

So if you want to be jealous be jealous of the fact that FFG is in the future and we are actually in a galaxy long time ago.

lol

• kaosoe likes this

SPACE GUINEA PIGS TO THE RESCUE!!!!!

#10 whafrog

whafrog

• Members
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 09:46 AM

I just don't see it.  Or more like:  I get what you're saying, but I think the impact of "targeting" so minimal as to not really count.  I have the AoR beginner game and followup PDF, and there's nothing in there that says I have to use AoR careers or even Duty vs Obligation.  And with *extremely* minimal modification the setting could be Hutts at the centre (one Hutt listening to the other).  Flipping the other way, there's plenty of reason you could use AoR characters in BtR or JoY for a legitimate Rebellion mission.

It may change with F&D.  It could be that F&D is all Jedi all the time, where you do normal chargen then add 100XP and now you're a Padawan (this is what I'm hoping for).  But even then you'd just need more experienced characters, and there would still be healthy mix-and-match possibilities.

I guess I don't see the point of artificially constraining anything just because of a marketing decision.  The campaigns I run have no such boundaries.

#11 2P51

2P51

• Members
  • 3,551 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 03:01 PM

I agree, I would never impose artificial boundaries on character types, ie this is an AoR game so Scoundrels need not apply.  Frankly your underworld types would make far better Rebels out the gate than a bunch of freedom pining do gooders.  The underworld types are already well practiced and comfortable with breaking the law and avoiding the authorities, with support networks already in place.

• whafrog, iandimitri and edisung like this

My group's Obsidian Portal campaign site: It's All in the Trigger Squeeze

#12 ZachAttack

ZachAttack

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 03:29 PM

Han Solo certainly didn't join the Rebellion out of the goodness of his heart. He was after Leia's credits.

#13 edisung

edisung

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 04:19 PM

I just don't see it.  Or more like:  I get what you're saying, but I think the impact of "targeting" so minimal as to not really count.  I have the AoR beginner game and followup PDF, and there's nothing in there that says I have to use AoR careers or even Duty vs Obligation.  And with *extremely* minimal modification the setting could be Hutts at the centre (one Hutt listening to the other).  Flipping the other way, there's plenty of reason you could use AoR characters in BtR or JoY for a legitimate Rebellion mission.

It may change with F&D.  It could be that F&D is all Jedi all the time, where you do normal chargen then add 100XP and now you're a Padawan (this is what I'm hoping for).  But even then you'd just need more experienced characters, and there would still be healthy mix-and-match possibilities.

I guess I don't see the point of artificially constraining anything just because of a marketing decision.  The campaigns I run have no such boundaries.

i agree with your point about modifying the adventures to suit the party.  it's totally possible and won't often take much work, but i was speaking more of in a strict running as is style.  though you could always posit situations where the alliance has to use outside contractors i guess, but hiring mercenaries also poses a risk factor to the rebels that would also need be acknowledged if your party wasn't active members.  that was the main point that i was trying to make was that there would be much more retooling required of a AoR to EotE adventure than EotE to AoR.  now with F&D it'd be a different matter because you are getting a "weapon" that is the enemy of the Empire regardless of affiliation so you could be more trusting.

#14 edisung

edisung

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 04:23 PM

I agree, I would never impose artificial boundaries on character types, ie this is an AoR game so Scoundrels need not apply.  Frankly your underworld types would make far better Rebels out the gate than a bunch of freedom pining do gooders.  The underworld types are already well practiced and comfortable with breaking the law and avoiding the authorities, with support networks already in place.

i agree about removing boundaries and letting the players create whatever story they want.  i'm hoping to have my players go all the way through to F&D from EotE as one complete campaign.  once they join up with the rebellion, there's nothing to keep them from having to run missions of their own due to Obligation or having to tackle whatever new mechanic besides Duty/Obligation occurs with F&D.

now that i've said that, i wonder what that new mechanic will be called and how it might work...?  so excited that F&D beta is drawing closer.

#15 edisung

edisung

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 04:24 PM

Han Solo certainly didn't join the Rebellion out of the goodness of his heart. He was after Leia's credits.

and shortly after that, her assets.  scoundrel to the core. ;)

• Sofia Corba and whafrog like this

#16 ZachAttack

ZachAttack

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 04:59 PM

Indeed.

Definitely Scoundrel all the way.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS