Photo

Indiana Jones and the temple of Marka ragnos!

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 pastrychef1323

pastrychef1323

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 11:53 AM

So I have a player that Is determined to be an archeologist and I was wondering does any one have ideas as to what some good adventure ideas for an archeology character without being boring to the other players

#2 2P51

2P51

• Members
  • 3,340 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 11:56 AM

Tracking down anything in any tomb that holds Jedi/Sith relics.  Big money if they find something.  Lots of booby traps and ancient assassin droids, ancient Sith experimental tomb beasts, various Emperor's hand operatives vying for the same item. etc.

• Sofia Corba and RLogue177 like this

My group's Obsidian Portal campaign site: It's All in the Trigger Squeeze

#3 pastrychef1323

pastrychef1323

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 12:04 PM

I see. Thank you. Ya I'm not to familiar with their actual skill set so it's been bugging me. Like what are they good at aside from well being super obsessive in finding something

#4 2P51

2P51

• Members
  • 3,340 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 12:08 PM

They get Well Rounded for 5 xp and have a good immobilization talent for 25 xp based on Athletics, so they can put points into Brawl and be good at that combat wise.  They have a bunch of Knowledge skill type stuff as well which requires you to come up with creative uses for those.  I would say they are a more Skill focused spec rather than a Talent focused one.  There are no really staggering Talents in their tree.  It's much more of a concept type character.  Cross spec into something like Enforcer, Gadgeteer, or Marauder to perk up Brawl, and maybe something like Trader or Quartermaster to improve face skills.

#5 kaosoe

kaosoe

Not the GM my players need, but the one they deserve.

• Members
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 01:06 PM

Archeologists will generally invest in knowledge (Lore) or Knowledge (Education), so finding creative ways that they get to use their skills in a meaningful way that contributes to the story should be one of your concerns.

Scavenger - On the d20Radio forums.

Pronounced: Kay - Oh - So

#6 pastrychef1323

pastrychef1323

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 02:06 PM

Now how exactly do I contribute those. Any examples?

#7 whafrog

whafrog

• Members
  • 1,337 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 02:17 PM

Limiting to Jedi/Sith is ... limiting.  Maybe I'm just jaded by all the video games (Jedi Academy and KOTOR especially).

Think about all the art and artifacts produced by all the cultures on earth that people love to collect, that nations transport and own...Napoleon brought a ton of stuff back from Egypt that the Egyptians would still love to get back.  Anyway, multiply that by a couple orders of magnitude.

People want cool stuff.  Other people don't want their cool stuff taken.  People want to understand cultures and cultural secrets.  Other people don't want their secrets shared.  Yet others want someone else to do all the work, then ambush the poor sods and steal the loot.  Rival academics might have their reputations with the unearthing of new evidence they'd love to squash.  Whether your archeologist is doing it for the money, or doing it to enhance knowledge on behalf of some academic institution (or both), there are endless opportunities to keep things from being boring.

Just getting to the site involves everybody:  pilots, faces to find good guides, hunters to find the best route and keep the wildlife at bay, mercs to keep everybody safe, etc.  Then there's the natives to make friends with or fight off, and the traps to disable...

Have you read through Enter the Unknown?  It has a ton of inspiration.

• RLogue177 likes this

#8 whafrog

whafrog

• Members
  • 1,337 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 02:20 PM

BTW, it's worth pointing out that the spec title might say "archeologist", but there is nothing in the talent tree to limit it that way. The spec is really just an archetype for Indiana Jones, but the character could be a biologist, geologist, or whatever.

#9 2P51

2P51

• Members
  • 3,340 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 02:56 PM

Now how exactly do I contribute those. Any examples?

Translating old text on the 'treasure map', using varying numbers of Successes, Advantages, etc to represent different amounts of information and detail, or false information in the form of bad results.

Translating the hieroglyphs on the wall of an ancient tomb.

Understanding the language being spoken by an ancient holo projection.

Deciphering the instructions to operate an ancient piece of tech.

Determining the current hyperspace coordinates against ancient ones in some text, taking galactic drift into account.

Edited by 2P51, 03 July 2014 - 03:21 PM.

• kaosoe likes this

#10 pastrychef1323

pastrychef1323

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 03:19 PM

I love having a community of awesome people to ask questions and I just bought etu and haven't had a chance that's why I am kinda like **** what do I do. Lol but ya thanks guys these are dam super helpful

#11 RLogue177

RLogue177

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 07:24 PM

I'm a fan of letting the players create their own adventures. A player whose character is an archaeologist might come to the table and say he's been researching rumors and/or legends about such-and-such, and he has a lead he heard from a guy who knows a guy... supposedly this other guy has seen it or has been there...

As the GM, you work the player's ideas into the story. Let the players do some work for a change. ;)

Had a player once show up to a fantasy RPG session with a tale about a legendary sword. The PCs were between adventures and celebrating in a city. The player sat at the table and told us all about how he met a guy in a tavern in town who was spinning yarns about the olden days for his meal. One of the stories interested the character and he went to see a local sage.  There, he learned a great deal more. The player made all this up ahead of time and brought it to the table. It was his show from beginning to end.  The adventure I had planned was put aside in favor of what the player had created.  In the end, he got his treasured sword and was absolutely thrilled with it and the quest to get it.  The other PCs got lots of good loot too!

• copperbell and kaosoe like this

#12 2P51

2P51

• Members
  • 3,340 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 07:37 PM

This is kind of how Obligation should be handled.  The characters should make up good backgrounds based on their Obligation and the GM come up with ways to work that off through play.

• copperbell, whafrog and kaosoe like this

#13 Hysteria

Hysteria

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 09:52 PM

Without knowing much about the player who's got the achaeologist, I'd say a GM can get a lot of mileage out of a player with that specialization.

If you're giving the player a story hook for the adventure, ancient Jedi and Sith temples work fine, but I'd build up to that steadily. The reason for this is that a long-forgotten Jedi or Sith temple that gets discovered during the reign of Palpatine has all the potential to put your players in a situation very similar to the Indiana Jones movies. Think about it--Palpatine would want the knowledge of the temple kept secret until he could examine it fully, so he would be sending out an Imperial squadron to get to the temple first. Given Palpatine's penchant for schemes within schemes, he could also leak the existence of this hidden temple to an unscrupulous archaeologist. Think Belloq from Raiders of the Lost Ark, and have him work with a band of mercenaries to prevent the PCs from getting there. So there you have a three-way race to get to the temple. You could also have some sort of powerful relic in the temple itself that's the real prize, and make the PCs have to sneak around the rival group that found the temple first, and try to steal the relic out from under their noses. 

To be honest, though, I'd make this the culmination of a major story arc, or possibly an entire campaign. You could stretch this out over the course of months, starting with rumors of the temple, going from planet to planet uncovering clues about the temple, gaining enemies as you go, and finally getting to the planet itself, that you have to explore to find the temple. The opportunities for other characters to take the spotlight is almost limitless. Here are a few ideas I brainstormed:

• The Marauder and Bodyguard have to take down scores of mooks (and one or two rivals) the Imperials and rival archaeologist put in the PCs way.
  • The Politico has to have a face-to-face talk with the rival archaeologist and get him to reveal information without the politico tipping their hand.
  • The Pilot has to maneuver their way through a debris field around the planet or escape from a squadron of TIE fighters.
  • The Driver has to race the rival archaeologist's crew to the next clue on the planet
  • The Doctor has to keep an ancient alien alive long enough to deliver the next clue.
  • The Mechanic has to solve an ancient puzzle that shows the PCs where to go next.
  • The Scholar has to get background information on the temple so the PCs know what they're looking for and why it's important.
  • The Thief and Scoundrel have to steal a clue the Imperials have.

There are several more specializations out there, but this should give you a nice start.

As far as the archaeologist as a support character, the specialization does come with a pretty robust set of skills that makes them a good back-up Pilot and back-up Scholar. They'll probably take the Well-Rounded talent to give themselves some combat skills, if they don't take a combat-oriented specialization. You can have them do research on the planets to which the PCs are headed, make checks about various alien species the PCs encounter, help the PCs navigate their way through a jungle, or use their athletics and coordination checks to do a passable impression of a thief.

Hope this helps!

• kaosoe likes this

#14 copperbell

copperbell

• Members
  • 465 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 01:49 AM

Just had this vision of some unsuspecting laborers digging on a site being prepared for a new housing compound since the Empire has evicted a load of the locals when they "acquired" their homes to build their garrison.

They break into a chamber and discover an ancient Sith warship was buried there and unknowingly as they flee immediately (being actually sensible enough to recognise obvious death trap :P ) their actions reactivate a suspension chamber inside releasing a long forgotten force user from the KOTOR MMO era with knowledge vital to the new era of a foe far worse than anything Emperor Palpatine can imagine...

And guess whose job it is to go find him and persuade him to reveal what he knows?

It isn't Darth Vader thats for sure! ;)

Been listening to a d20 actual play done by Gamers Table and this thread sounds like a perfect way to set a sequel to that adventure!

• Hysteria and kaosoe like this

#15 swarsmike

swarsmike

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:45 PM

If he want to be an archeologist give him some interesting digs to go on and he can find things like rare weapon upgrades, unusual weapons, or if someone in your group wants to be jedi like he could even find a holocron... and to make it interesting make it a non standard shape and color so the player has no clue if its sith or jedi in origin he could find himself becoming a new sith lord and the rest of the party has to snap him out of it. 

• kaosoe likes this

#16 progressions

progressions

• Members
  • 1,167 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:37 PM

So I have a player that Is determined to be an archeologist and I was wondering does any one have ideas as to what some good adventure ideas for an archeology character without being boring to the other players

Here is our campaign, which is based almost entirely around archaeology and exploring:

https://explorers-on...dianportal.com/

A shadowy group called the Voren Institute have sponsored members of the party to locate an ancient relic called the Eye of Rodia, which is rumored to have mystical properties.

They searched for it first in the underground Temple of Jaren Laa on Christophsis, but learned that the Eye of Rodia had been taken from the temple by bounty hunter Cad Bane during the Battle of Christophsis during the Clone Wars.

Next they needed to track down Cad Bane and learn what he knew about it. That led them to a destination in the Unknown Regions, where their ship has been pulled out of hyperspace by a mysterious force and crashed on an alien planet featuring a massive Ziggurat where Rodian troops are capturing crash survivors and forcing them into slave labor to build a mysterious machine in the center of the Ziggurat.

Now the party has to locate the Ziggurat, make their way inside and see what secrets it holds...

Have a look around the https://explorers-on...m/adventure-log for details of each of the sessions of the adventure so far, or check the https://explorers-on-the-edge.obsidianportal.com/wikis/main-page and https://explorers-on-the-edge.obsidianportal.com/characters for the people, places and things of the campaign so far.

Edited by progressions, Yesterday, 11:40 PM.

Our group's EOTE Obsidian Portal: Explorers on the Edge

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS