Question about playable races

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Bulwyf

Bulwyf

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 09:02 PM

My role play group is thinking of playing this after we conclude our excellent Star Wars Edge of the Empire campaign but since all the players in our group are Warhammer and 40k nerds this may be a problem.

The problem being every person wants to play a different race in the Warhammer world.

I have been trying to find what are the allowable playable races and what books you need to find them in to not much luck. I know the starting races are human, dwarf, high elf and wood elf and one book added halfings and ogres. Is that it in terms of playable races? Can you not play Chaos characters? Or my personal favorite Dark Elves? 

Appreciate any help and advice on if we decided to play what books would really be recommended to pick up.

#2 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 5,123 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 09:54 PM

Hero's Call has a bunch of variant imperial races.  In terms of playing Dark Elves and Chaos, just let the players choose the monsters.

Dark Elves are detailed monsters.  Just choose one of those and there are a few pre-dedicated special actions for them.  Same for Chaos.

#3 k7e9

k7e9

• Members
  • 884 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 12:49 AM

Hi,

Per the RAW rules you can play Human (Empire), Dwarf, High Elf, Wood Elf and with Hero's Call you can also play Ogre and Halfling.

If you want to play Chaos characters you could create humans and give them a chaos mark (the different chaos marks are included in the different box sets regarding the chaos gods) and/or you could give them a mutation (or two) each. There's also some dark and necromancy spells which are avaliable to players, and you could let them aquire action cards which have traits like demonic/chaos etc. So it's certainly possible to play a party of chaos worshippers.

Dark Elves, would probably be easy to create using one of the other elven races as a basis. Most career optiond for players are quite generic, so they would work well if you play dark elves too. As Emirikol said, there are some actions specifically for dark elves, so they could be options for the players. And as previously noted, there are dark magic spells and similar that a dark elf sorcerer could use.

#4 Carcosa

Carcosa

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 03:28 AM

Chaos people just start as regular humans, so you don't really need any special rules for them that don't already exist, as for all other races that people may want to play, I recommend looking at the WFB army books for the baseline troops of each race and deduct one from each. For Agility, I would probably have it based of BS. The social stats are a bit more problematic BUT there is a solution if you have access to the WFB 3rd Ed Army book. Back then they had stats for Leadership, Intelligence, Cool and Willpower and you could work out a formula to equate those to the social stats. Also from that vintage you could look at "Slaves to Darkness" and "the lost and the damned" for suggestions for additional Chaos based stuff.

Having said that, I would be more curious as to how you could reasonably work a bunch of basically evil races into a party! :P

#5 Thindaraiel

Thindaraiel

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 04:11 AM

You can also look into WFRP 2nd edition :

- Tome of Corruption allowed the creation of nordic humans, and provided careers from skald to daemon prince, passing through marauder, chaos warrior, chaos knight, chaos champion and so on. It contaied also rules for Beastmen PCs !

- Night's Dark Master was centered on undeads. It contained the rule to turn out any character into a vampire (from thrall to lord)

- Children of the Horned Rat allowed to create skaven characters, with many careers for them into the main clans

Greenskins and dark elves are the missing ones, with almost no opportunity to create PCs. There was an old fan-supplement for Dark Elves (don't remember if it was 1st or 2nd edition), but I don't recall of someting equivalent for greenskins.

All this could be a source of inspiration to create rules for a "bad company" made of a bunch of monsters. Though I cannot see how such a company could work together... :-)

#6 Ralzar

Ralzar

• Members
  • 580 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 05:34 AM

You can also look into WFRP 2nd edition :

- Tome of Corruption allowed the creation of nordic humans, and provided careers from skald to daemon prince, passing through marauder, chaos warrior, chaos knight, chaos champion and so on. It contaied also rules for Beastmen PCs !

There is a bunch of WFRP3 conversions of this here: http://www.kalevalah...om/p/page1.html

I am running a long-term campaign with a similar set of rules and it works just as well as using the official careers.

#7 Dorianvd

Dorianvd

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 04:14 AM

Thanks for sharing this very useful, unofficial supplement to the game!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS