Maps, deck plans! more more

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#61 2P51

2P51

• Members
  • 2,867 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 01:24 PM

I'm not sure if I like the idea of having to go to a separate resource to get information that should have rightfully been in the book to start with though. 

Why "rightfully"?  The big picture view is that a) fewer people play RPGs; b) classical publishing is a time-consuming and inefficient method of media dissemination; c) publishers of other games are moving/have moved to a PoD/PDF model to save costs; d) competition for gamer $ is strong.  These are economic realities, and personally I'd like to see FFG and this game last a long time.

A ship layout is probably the least efficient and broadly useful thing to include in a published work, so they "rightfully" should not include them.  But a POD model avoids those issues, and there might not even have to be upfront investment if the artist gets a cut of the POD profits.

Some generic 'adapt to your campaign' products with maybe a suggestion or two in regards to some published adventures could be a good approach.  No need to slow development on a specific project or supplement, just offer them as add on stuff.  Of course I still go back to the issue of with the breadth of stuff freely available on the internet I don't know if there is money to be made doing it.  FFG does real good quality though so if it was high end stuff that looked real nice, maybe.

Edited by 2P51, 09 July 2014 - 01:24 PM.

• Ghostofman and whafrog like this

My group's Obsidian Portal campaign site: It's All in the Trigger Squeeze

#62 Ghostofman

Ghostofman

• Members
  • 1,175 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 01:45 PM

I'm not sure if I like the idea of having to go to a separate resource to get information that should have rightfully been in the book to start with though. 

Why "rightfully"?  The big picture view is that a) fewer people play RPGs; b) classical publishing is a time-consuming and inefficient method of media dissemination; c) publishers of other games are moving/have moved to a PoD/PDF model to save costs; d) competition for gamer $ is strong.  These are economic realities, and personally I'd like to see FFG and this game last a long time.

A ship layout is probably the least efficient and broadly useful thing to include in a published work, so they "rightfully" should not include them.  But a POD model avoids those issues, and there might not even have to be upfront investment if the artist gets a cut of the POD profits.

Some generic 'adapt to your campaign' products with maybe a suggestion or two in regards to some published adventures could be a good approach.  No need to slow development on a specific project or supplement, just offer them as add on stuff.  Of course I still go back to the issue of with the breadth of stuff freely available on the internet I don't know if there is money to be made doing it.  FFG does real good quality though so if it was high end stuff that looked real nice, maybe.

Like "Critical Locations" from the D20 modern line?

MAGIC HEADPHONES PROTECT ME FROM THE SPACE!

#63 2P51

2P51

• Members
  • 2,867 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 02:39 PM

Like "Critical Locations" from the D20 modern line?

Yah, just generic stuff.  It could look Star Warsy and not have any proper names attached to it.  

#64 New Zombie

New Zombie

• Members
  • 445 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 03:27 PM

for those interested in maps

https://www.kickstar...t?ref=discovery

• whafrog and kaosoe like this

#65 2P51

2P51

• Members
  • 2,867 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 03:37 PM

http://www.cartograp...ers-choice.html

Most stuff on here is more fantasy related but there are some modern options.  I have to tell you the fantasy options if you print them off poster sized are better than anything you have ever seen in a RPG.

• bradknowles likes this

#66 kinnison

kinnison

• Members
  • 462 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 09:56 AM

https://www.kickstar...-poster-map-set

a recent kickstarter by Maps of Mystery that has a space station

oooooooooOOOOOO :huh: :D

• kaosoe and bradknowles like this

Check out my current Campaign:

The Minos Cluster

Last session 6/21/14 'The Treasure of Celis Mott'

Last Update 7/4/14

#67 whafrog

whafrog

• Members
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 10:06 AM

As great as that looks, I'd never be able to actually use it.  Too much terrain, doesn't allow any flexibility.

#68 macd21

macd21

• Members
  • 914 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 11:22 AM

I just think that the choice of language in this post was overly caustic.

I was caught in a heated moment!  :)

May be it was not the best way to express my disappointment but I had to say it. Let me explain myself a bit better.

In Warhammer 3 (from FFG) we had maps, not many, not big, but some maps. We complained often on the forums that we would appreciate to have bigger maps or more maps. Just for the evocative, the visual content. Many players like to look at them! I still remember when I was GMing Warhammer 1st ed the Enemy Within, campaign and I unfolded over the table the map of Castle Wittenstein, it was a Woooow!! moment.

When I got my hands on the EotE beginners game and I saw all those maps... I dreamt.

I think the Warhammer maps actually demonstrate some of the problems maps present. Yes, it was nice to have them... but not all that nice. Why? Because they were vague. You mention the fact that people complained on the forums about the maps... and boy did they. Most of the WFRP maps were little more than a couple of place names on an almost blank page. This is because A) maps are expensive and B) time constraints. Put too much detail into the map and you're liable to get something wrong, leaving the line developer with the choice of including a bad map or else ordering a corrected one (which will inevitably delay the release and add to the cost).

There are occasions, such as the beginners set, where the company goes to the trouble of producing a map. With the beginners set they also probably had the time to spare to get it right, as the writing was probably finished long before the release date. That isn't the case with most supplements, which tend to be made on a tight schedule.

And, of course, there's the fact that maps take up precious, precious space. Word count on these books is very tight. Some have suggested that FFG should include two versions of a map - one with all the details (for the GM) and a player's version. How much of the adventure should be cut for that?

And finally, there's the fact that they are not really necessary. Sure, some players like them - but as demonstrated by this thread, that isn't universal. A map is a major potential complication in the creation of an adventure, adding to the cost, taking up space and quite likely to delay the project  - all to make a few customers slightly happier.Which is why FFG have determined they are more trouble than they are worth.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS