When to give Insanity?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 Simsum

Simsum

• Members
  • 456 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 06:31 AM

Yeah, I guess in CoC it is set in the real world so odd behaviour by definition is madness whereas alot of the normal characters in WH40K would be considered psychotic by modern standards.

I don't really get this. Granted life isn't worth a whole lot in the 40K setting, but people are still human beings in the setting. Behaviours considered psychotic by CoC standards, generally would be by 40K standards as well. Indeed, 40K is a much more heroic setting than CoC. PC behaviours should have a far stronger tendency towards heroism, self-sacrifice and martyrdom in 40K.

The one thing I can see is that in CoC losing sanity is a process that speeds up with time. The lower your sanity is, the faster tou will lose more sanity.

Whereas 40KRPG works the other way. As you become more insane, you become more resistant to fear (and hence madness).

A simple mechanic I like, is to add a cumulative -10 penalty for every previously failed Test, and add a cumulative +10 bonus for every previously successful Test. In our games it doesn't have much of an impact on how things actually play out, but it gives a (mostly illusory) sense of consistency that we've found somewhat lacking in RAW.

• bogi_khaosa likes this

#22 bogi_khaosa

bogi_khaosa

• Members
  • 2,153 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 10:41 PM

Well the real difference is that CoC is an out-and-out horror game in which characters are not supposed to live a long time. In fact, they're doomed, to madness if not to death. And as you go down the spiral, the descent speeds up.

Whereas DH can't make up its mind whether it wants to be a horror game or an action-adventure game. It has aspects of both. So it has an insanity-gathering mechanic that actually slows down as insanity goes up. So you'll spend a rather long time being nuts. whereas in CoC a character's time between low sanity and no sanity is usually short.

To answer the OP's question, well not only have your players been incredibly lucky in never get insanity from fear, if you look at the book examples and in published adventures they should be getting insanity from seeing sites of horrible murders, supernatural events, and so forth. Normally I give a check to get IPs when a character burns a fate point to avoid death, or when a friend (such as another Acolyte) dies, or well in general the kind of things that make people unhinged in reality.

Unless you want to emphasize the pulp action aspect of the setting and deemphasize the horror, in which case don't give IPs. If you're recreating Abnett's books for example, don't give them.

Edited by bogi_khaosa, 30 August 2014 - 10:42 PM.

• Simsum likes this

#23 Simsum

Simsum

• Members
  • 456 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 11:14 PM

Well the real difference is that CoC is an out-and-out horror game in which characters are not supposed to live a long time. In fact, they're doomed, to madness if not to death. And as you go down the spiral, the descent speeds up.

This isn't actually true, it's a question of playstyle not mechanics. CoC has ways for PCs to recover. That said, a lot of modules published for the system assumes at least a few dead or demented PCs along the way.

#24 bogi_khaosa

bogi_khaosa

• Members
  • 2,153 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 12:36 AM

This isn't actually true, it's a question of playstyle not mechanics. CoC has ways for PCs to recover. That said, a lot of modules published for the system assumes at least a few dead or demented PCs along the way.

CoC characters' maximum SAN will gradually drop, because max SAN = 99 - Cthulhu Mythos. As CM goes up, maximum SAN goes down. And you gain CM each time that a Mythos source makes you go even temporarily mad. So unless you retire, eventually you're going to go crazy.

Anyway, any CoC player who makes his character planning on long character development isn't getting into the spirit. ;)

Edited by bogi_khaosa, 31 August 2014 - 12:38 AM.

#25 Simsum

Simsum

• Members
  • 456 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 04:44 AM

True, but... Unlike in DH, SAN accumulation is easily reversible (up to a point) in COC and going by the published materials, is not much more frequent than it is in DH. So if you feel like characters aren't doomed in DH you shouldn't feel like they're doomed in CoC.

- Sorry for the tangent.

#26 bogi_khaosa

bogi_khaosa

• Members
  • 2,153 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 06:07 PM

True, but... Unlike in DH, SAN accumulation is easily reversible (up to a point) in COC and going by the published materials, is not much more frequent than it is in DH. So if you feel like characters aren't doomed in DH you shouldn't feel like they're doomed in CoC.

- Sorry for the tangent.

SAN loss is much more frequent in CoC, at least in my experience (admittedly, it depends on how you play it),

Combat is much more lethal in CoC.

#27 Crispin

Crispin

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 02:34 AM

A small update:

My players have started to accumulate some IP and CP (to the point where they started to roll against traumas and mutations respectively) because I decided to pump up the points I give them straight out, rather than wait for them to fail a Fear check.

They are currently rank 5 with around 10-14 IP and 5-10 CP and I just started with them the Tattered Fates adventure. Oh the madness and horror.   

#28 The Metal Inquisitor

The Metal Inquisitor

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 06:48 AM

You don't NEED to give the PC's insanity and corruption points, but it ads another level to the game where the psychological and spiritual damage is kept track of.

It's a fitting mechanic for the warhhammer 40k universe, but not necessary if the players haven't recived permanent psychological damage, or experienced corruption of their soul. :)

#29 Crispin

Crispin

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 02:03 AM

I'm aware of that fact, however, since my players are longtime D&D players I have to have some way of making them think twice before killing everything and everyone that they deem heretical or just annoying since there are no alignments in DH. Basically, for them that means that they can do anything as long as they don't get cought, and trust me they are smart players so they know how to avoid. This way I make sure if they decide to play chaotic evil/neutral characters, they WILL either go insane or get a bullet to the head for their mutations. 

#30 ThenDoctor

ThenDoctor

• Members
  • 959 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 04:50 AM

I'm aware of that fact, however, since my players are longtime D&D players I have to have some way of making them think twice before killing everything and everyone that they deem heretical or just annoying since there are no alignments in DH. Basically, for them that means that they can do anything as long as they don't get cought, and trust me they are smart players so they know how to avoid. This way I make sure if they decide to play chaotic evil/neutral characters, they WILL either go insane or get a bullet to the head for their mutations. 

Easy have them kill the wrong person and have an Ecclesiarchial hit squad come after them.

"We thought he was binding a daemon to that poor child!"

SoB about to burn them at the stake, "HE WAS AN EXORCIST YOU HERETICAL SCUM!"

I've made an expanded Divination table for Dark Heresy Second Edition.Find it here: 

http://community.fan...general-thread/

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS