Early Stabs at Silvan Decks

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Ohnomycocoa

Ohnomycocoa

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 08:03 AM

So now that we have the seeds of the amazingly cool new silvan mechanism with Celeborn, Naith Guide and the Tree People, has anyone had a go at making a Silvan deck ? Here is my initial attempt :

(Updated version of this deck below).

Total Cards: (50)

Hero: (3)
1x Celeborn (The Dunland Trap)
1x Elrond (Shadow and Flame)
1x Glorfindel (Foundations of Stone)

Ally: (24)
2x Daughter of the Nimrodel (Core Set)
3x Haldir of Lorien (A Journey to Rhosgobel)
2x Henamarth Riversong (Core Set)
3x Lorien Guide (Core Set)
3x Naith Guide (The Dunland Trap)
3x Silvan Tracker (The Dead Marshes)
3x Silverlode Archer (Core Set)
2x Gandalf (Core Set)
3x Silvan Refugee (The Drúadan Forest)

Attachment: (8)
2x Ancient Mathom (A Journey to Rhosgobel)
2x Asfaloth (Foundations of Stone)
2x Light of Valinor (Foundations of Stone)
2x Vilya (Shadow and Flame)

Event: (18)
3x A Test of Will (Core Set)
3x Children of the Sea (The Blood of Gondor)
2x Dwarven Tomb (Core Set)
3x Secret Paths (Core Set)
2x Sneak Attack (Core Set)
3x The Tree People (The Dunland Trap)
2x The White Council (The Dunland Trap)

Edited by Ohnomycocoa, 02 July 2014 - 07:39 AM.

#2 Olorin93

Olorin93

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 10:25 AM

I tried the same hero line-up a while ago, though without including other cards from The Dunland Trap. It's still on the first page of this forum. I wrote down some comments there; it's a nice trio, and I might very well try it again once I get the pack. I've temporarily ditched Leadership in favour of Tactics, and included Legolas, eagles and Rivendell Blades, but overall Leadership appeals more to me.

Have you tried this? What's it like?

• Ohnomycocoa likes this

#3 Narsil0420

Narsil0420

• Members
  • 614 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 02:44 PM

I also started a thread about this here: http://community.fan...celeborn-decks/

My guess is that we're going to need to await until at least one more pack is out to really make Silvan work

Edited by Narsil0420, 30 June 2014 - 02:45 PM.

• Ohnomycocoa likes this

#4 Ohnomycocoa

Ohnomycocoa

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 03:31 AM

Yeah I agree - we need a few more silvan allies for the deck to work. It has signs of greatness at the moment - e.g Silvan Refugee with the Tree People into Haldir is very strong. The main problem is the large number of 3 cost lore silvan allies which are just to expensive for this deck at the moment. I find that resources tend to pool on Celeborn as there are not enough leadership allies to pay for.

#5 Olorin93

Olorin93

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 07:13 AM

When I tried this (and when I tried Elrond/Glorfindel/Legolas recently) I often used Celeborn's/Legolas' resources to pay for neutral cards such as Vilya and Gandalf. It did balance it out a little. I'll definitely try this line-up as Leadership access is terrific, but I dislike the idea of tri-sphere because of resource management. I can put allies like Gildor into play with Vilya if I'm lucky - but cards like Steward of Gondor is not really an option, partly because I care a lot about theme and couldn't put such a "title" on a Silvan, and partly because one of my friends is a Gondor player and runs it in his decks.

When people say that Leadership is great for resource generation, do they ever refer to other cards than SoG or Gloin?

#6 Olorin93

Olorin93

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 10:40 AM

I tries Elrond/Celeborn/Glorfindel again today. Pretty much every decent deck beats Passage Through Mirkwood, so I tried Anduin.

I must say - the Hill Troll is not fun with a Silvan deck. I pulled it off in the end, but my final threat was 45 (Loragorn has always been a great help in this).

As Celeborn and Galadriel work so well together, I'm seriously considering dropping Glorfindel (and with him, Asfaloth) in favour of the Lady of Light. A bit high starting threat, but that shouldn't be a problem for her. I tried Elrond/Celeborn/Galadriel on the Seventh Level (which is arguably pretty easy) and had no problems. But as you say, we need more synergy to make this a viable deck type.
  • Ohnomycocoa likes this

#7 Ohnomycocoa

Ohnomycocoa

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 03:46 AM

Thanks for the session report ! 

Did you try the exact deck above or your own deck ?

I tries Elrond/Celeborn/Glorfindel again today. Pretty much every decent deck beats Passage Through Mirkwood, so I tried Anduin.

I must say - the Hill Troll is not fun with a Silvan deck. I pulled it off in the end, but my final threat was 45 (Loragorn has always been a great help in this).

As Celeborn and Galadriel work so well together, I'm seriously considering dropping Glorfindel (and with him, Asfaloth) in favour of the Lady of Light. A bit high starting threat, but that shouldn't be a problem for her. I tried Elrond/Celeborn/Galadriel on the Seventh Level (which is arguably pretty easy) and had no problems. But as you say, we need more synergy to make this a viable deck type.

#8 Olorin93

Olorin93

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 05:00 AM

It was similar - I usually use Warden of Healing and didn't switch him for Daughter. Also did not include White Council, Tree People, or Ancient Mathom (or Children of the Sea or Silvan Refugee, as I don't have those packs and was too tired to bother with proxies...) You have probably put more thought into it than I!

On a side note, do you have two core sets? I can only find one Henamarth in mine.

Edit: to clarify, I included two Mirkwood Runner and three Mirkwood Tracker, as they combo very nicely with Celeborn - and Elrond! I have a feeling Elrond + Tracker will be a central healing engine in many silvan decks.

Edited by Olorin93, 02 July 2014 - 05:02 AM.

• Ohnomycocoa likes this

#9 Ohnomycocoa

Ohnomycocoa

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 07:38 AM

Yes - I agree re. the Wardens of Healing - too good with Elrond to pass up, so got rid of the Mirkwood Runners. I do have two core sets now - I've been playing since the game's launch, but only got the second a few months ago !

So here's the current deck after a few changes. Will give it an outing this evening hopefully.

Ally: (25)
3x Daughter of the Nimrodel (Core Set)
2x Lorien Guide (Core Set)
2x Silvan Tracker (The Dead Marshes)
2x Silverlode Archer (Core Set)
2x Gandalf (Core Set)
3x Warden of Healing (The Long Dark)

Attachment: (6)
2x Vilya (Shadow and Flame)

Event: (19)
3x Sneak Attack (Core Set)
2x The White Council (The Dunland Trap)
2x Valiant Sacrifice (Core Set)

• Olorin93 likes this

#10 joezim007

joezim007

• Members
  • 518 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 08:41 AM

The only thing I have to say is that these decks become way better when you can proxy more of the Silvan cards :) Galadriel + Celeborn is REALLY awesome. Everyone comes in with +1 WP and then quests without exhausting.

• Ohnomycocoa and Olorin93 like this

I once shot an arrow through the pupil of a pig's eye from 300 yards away! Sadly, I was aiming for a different pig.

#11 chrsjxn

chrsjxn

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 05:44 PM

I just beat The Dunland Trap with an interesting sort-of Silvan deck.

Sam, Celeborn, Lore-Aragorn. Mirkwood Runner, Silvan Tracker, Naith Guide, and Haldir round out the silvan contingent. It also includes Bill the Pony, Sword That Was Broken, and the usual lore/leadership tricks (resource acceleration and card draw).

Naith Guide is really good, since you can pump up a hero's willpower (like Aragorn) and then send him on the quest without having to exhaust him. AND you get an ally with two attack and two willpower. (Though I used her to chump block a lot in The Dunland Trap.)

And Sneak Attack is very, very good with the Silvan allies and Celeborn. Mirkwood Runner in the attack phase guarantees 3 damage on an enemy, mostly. And Haldir has huge stats if you sneak him in.

Edit: I pulled out The Tree People, though. It's powerful, but very situational. And Celeborn isn't called Frodo.

Edited by chrsjxn, 11 July 2014 - 11:27 AM.

• PsychoRocka likes this

#12 joezim007

joezim007

• Members
  • 518 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 08:38 AM

I just beat The Dunland Trap with an interesting sort-of Silvan deck.

Sam, Frodo, Lore-Aragorn. Mirkwood Runner, Silvan Tracker, Naith Guide, and Haldir round out the silvan contingent. It also includes Bill the Pony, Sword That Was Broken, and the usual lore/leadership tricks (resource acceleration and card draw).

Naith Guide is really good, since you can pump up a hero's willpower (like Aragorn) and then send him on the quest without having to exhaust him. AND you get an ally with two attack and two willpower. (Though I used her to chump block a lot in The Dunland Trap.)

And Sneak Attack is very, very good with the Silvan allies and Celeborn. Mirkwood Runner in the attack phase guarantees 3 damage on an enemy, mostly. And Haldir has huge stats if you sneak him in.

Edit: I pulled out The Tree People, though. It's powerful, but very situational.

I'm confused... if you used Sam, Frodo, and Aragorn, where did Celeborn come in? Was this 2-player?

I once shot an arrow through the pupil of a pig's eye from 300 yards away! Sadly, I was aiming for a different pig.

#13 chrsjxn

chrsjxn

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 11:29 AM

I'm confused... if you used Sam, Frodo, and Aragorn, where did Celeborn come in? Was this 2-player?

Whooooooooops! It was Sam, Celeborn, and Aragorn. (Sam, Frodo, Aragorn is nice and thematic, but doesn't exactly have a lot of silvan synergy. No idea why I typed that in at first.)

• joezim007 likes this

#14 shipwreck

shipwreck

• Members
  • 168 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:42 PM

I'll post a full decklist later, but now with Three Trials I got a fun, almost pure Silvan deck kicking. Here's the long and short of it:

Legolas
Celeborn
Bilbo (not an elf, but an Elf-friend! The other option was Mirlonde, for whom a good argument can be made)

I included all of the Silvan allies for Lore, Leadership, and Tactics. The real treat was seeing all the elves bounce in and out of play. One of the finest moments came in the combat phase, after just about everyone was exhausted from defending, and I used The Tree People to take Haldir back into my hand and then put another copy of him back into play, boosted by Celeborn's ability and ready to join Legolas in an attack to finish off a Guardian.

Steward of Gondor went on either Bilbo or Celeborn, depending on draw, and once resources were in abundance it was really fun and easy to use Tree People to muster: return an ally, put a new one into play from TTP, then pay again to put the first ally back in boosted from Celeborn.

Swift and Silent is very nice for keeping Celeborn ready to defend in Elven Mail.

And if it isn't obvious Horn of Gondor is stupid good with all the Silvan shenanigans.

Oh! And Henamarth Riversong makes an epic comeback for use with Tree People as well: 1 cost ally to potentially bring in a big boy like Haldir or his bro.

Okay, time to switch off my sleepy ranting.

Edited by shipwreck, 23 July 2014 - 10:37 PM.

• Ohnomycocoa and PsychoRocka like this

The Grey Company; Master of Lore; & Frebooter Kommand are all things I work on.

#15 joezim007

joezim007

• Members
  • 518 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:50 AM

I think what I really want to try is two Silvan decks once there are enough cards. Celeborn's ability effects both players, so there's nothing lost by doing this. Also, I want to use all 4 spheres because they all have some great utility. I think both decks would have Lore in them for 2 reasons: The Tree People is too good not to have in a Silvan deck, whereas the other "return a Silvan ally to your hand" events are more situational. Also Lore has the most Silvan allies at this point.

I really love what I'm seeing from your deck, but I can't bring myself to take out Galadriel (I proxied her) to put in Tactics. Her ability to let the allies that enter play make use of 2 of their stat boosts is just crazy. I also don't want to leave out Tactics because Legolas, Rumil, Elven Mail, Horn of Gondor, etc. all look like they'd fit in pretty well. I kinda like the idea of boosting Celeborn's hit points more than his defense just because he can be healed a lot by Silvan Tracker and Daughter of the Nimrodel. Not that you can't play Steward of Gondor and Gondorian Shield on him too.
  • Ohnomycocoa and shipwreck like this

#16 Ohnomycocoa

Ohnomycocoa

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 06:59 AM

So here's a minor update to the silvan deck above to include the three trials. Not much change here - just added 3 copies of Feigned Voices and removed the White Council & one copy of Vilya. I agree that eventually that two silvan decks will probably emerge and be the way forward.

Ally: (25)
3x Daughter of the Nimrodel (Core Set)
2x Lorien Guide (Core Set)
2x Silvan Tracker (The Dead Marshes)
2x Silverlode Archer (Core Set)
2x Gandalf (Core Set)
3x Warden of Healing (The Long Dark)

Attachment: (6)
1x Vilya (Shadow and Flame)

Event: (19)
3x Sneak Attack (Core Set)
3x Feigned Voices (The Three Trials)
2x Valiant Sacrifice (Core Set)

Edited by Ohnomycocoa, 04 August 2014 - 07:00 AM.

• shipwreck likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS