How good are Hired Guns?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 daddystabz

daddystabz

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 10:33 PM

I'm considering playing a Hired Gun in our local campaign that is just starting and I am wondering everyone's opinions on how good are Hired Guns overall?

What is their combat effectiveness compared to other careers and which specializations seem ideal to make the most effective one possible?

#2 2P51

2P51

• Members
  • 2,786 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 10:38 PM

You will find plenty of combat potential in the career.  It is also one of the only two careers so far with a splat book published, so you have 6 specializations to choose from.  Mercenary Soldier has a solid all around set of combat Skills and Talents.  Of the 6 specs I would say BodyGuard is the least attractive in my mind.

• Col. Orange and opsnafu like this

My group's Obsidian Portal campaign site: It's All in the Trigger Squeeze

#3 bradknowles

bradknowles

• Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 11:37 PM

Hired Gun Maurauders are absolute death on repulsorlift, if they are properly statted and equipped. The only thing more deadly than a properly equipped Maurauder is a properly equipped Heavy, and only because the Heavy can use something like a Light Repeating Blaster and get a high enough Agility and skill to make Auto-fire happen all the time and at high volumes.

The best a Maurauder can do is to swing a pair of suitably modified vibro-weapons with lots of Pierce, good Critical hit activation plus Vicious, and then pile on the talents to add more damage. But a properly equipped Heavy can do the same level of damage per hit, times three or five or seven or however many times he can get Auto-fire to happen.

Wookiees are pretty natural Maurauders, but you can also do Trandoshan, Aqualish, or Weequay. It all depends on what you want to focus on as your secondary ability/ies.

Yes, I play a Wookiee Maurauder.
  • Col. Orange likes this

Unless stated otherwise, these are just my personal opinions about how I feel things should work.  Even if I quote chapter and verse of a particular rulebook, only the part that's quoted is likely to actually be official.  Each GM will have to decide for themselves what rules they will use and which ones they won't, and how they will interpret the rules they do use.  That is their right -- and their responsibility.

"A FFG Star Wars Index" by Aahzmandius_Karrde: <http://community.fan...ar-wars-index/> | Github project at <https://github.com/k...rde/ffg_swrpg/>

"Dice Probability Generator" by Litheon: http://community.fan...lity-generator/

#4 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 5,640 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 02:16 AM

The Mercenary Soldier is actually more deadly than just about anybody (Marauders included) once he has True Aim 2 and Deadly Accuracy. Granted, those are bottom of the tree talents, but they are quite powerful. With his Point Blank 2, he can keep up (probably outpace really) the damage output of almost any Marauder.

Edited by HappyDaze, 30 June 2014 - 02:17 AM.

• bradknowles likes this

Ignore, Ignore, you must learn Ignore!

Now Ignoring: Nobody.

#5 Plan b

Plan b

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 06:47 AM

From my experience, I'd say hired guns are slightly better than the other combat specs in EoE, in killing power. (pilots and bounty hunters are still damn killy)

However hired guns tend to be tougher.

I'd suggest thinking about what you want to do outside combat, and in ship, when looking at which spec to take. I know I tended to get bored due to not having anything to do as a marauder.

• cvtheoman and bradknowles like this

#6 BroodyGambit

BroodyGambit

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 08:22 AM

I enjoy playing with my wookiee demolitionist. Similar to a Heavy with autofire, easily triggering blast can wipe out groups of bad guys with relative ease. I also function as the group's mechanic outside of combat which correlates with the skills in the demolition tree.

• bradknowles likes this

#7 daddystabz

daddystabz

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 11:10 AM

Which do you all find to be more combat effective as a spec overall? Heavy or Mercenary Soldier? You can dip into abilities from both, right?

#8 Krieger22

Krieger22

• Members
  • 598 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 11:15 AM

Which do you all find to be more combat effective as a spec overall? Heavy or Mercenary Soldier? You can dip into abilities from both, right?

Sure, as long as you have paid for both specializations you can advance them however you see fit (as long as you follow the lines on the talent trees, of course).

I'd say the Heavy is mostly focused on shooting things at long range with the biggest possible guns - and they excel at precisely that. The Mercenary Soldier is a bit more of an all-round (ranged) fighter who can also buff himself and his companions some.

• bradknowles likes this

#9 2P51

2P51

• Members
  • 2,786 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 11:25 AM

The 'Overall' award would have to go to Merc imo.  True Aim, Deadly Accuracy, Sniper Shot, Strongarm, Point Blank, all come together to impact all weapons.  Couple that with the things you can do for a group combat oriented with Leadership checks, and it's pretty much the winner in my eyes.

• sonovabith and bradknowles like this

#10 LibrariaNPC

LibrariaNPC

• Members
  • 733 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 12:33 PM

While the Mercenary Soldier has the higher potential for destruction and mayhem, the Marauder has an entirely different play style.

In the end, it really boils down to what you want to do as a character: wade in and cause mayhem or blow things up.

If you like shooting from afar, giving orders, and relying on big weapons, go with a Mercenary Soldier.

If you like being up close and personal with a plethora of melee weapons, go with the Marauder.

As a note, the Heavy has a LOT of potential. One of my new players is statting one up and it's looking like a beast. It'll take hits and may not have the same damage potential, but trying to take one out won't be easy.

• bradknowles likes this

"Smilies exist because no one's bothered to make a sarcasm font." Lost_Heretic

LibrariaNPC's Starship Yard (Fighters and Freighter chapters as PDFs!)

#11 daddystabz

daddystabz

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 12:54 PM

Any good talent builds out there for a Mercenary Soldier?

#12 2P51

2P51

• Members
  • 2,786 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 01:00 PM

It's not an MMO.  Create a character concept and buy Talents and Skills that match your concept.  The best build is the one you make to flesh out your own character idea.

• Liloki, progressions, RLogue177 and 2 others like this

#13 daddystabz

daddystabz

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 01:15 PM

I understand...I'm just looking at a good path through the spec tree to get all the talents I want without wasting a lot of points in the process.

So far my characteristics look like Brawn 3, Agility 4, everything else 2.  Do you think this is wise?

It's not an MMO.  Create a character concept and buy Talents and Skills that match your concept.  The best build is the one you make to flesh out your own character idea.

#14 2P51

2P51

• Members
  • 2,786 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 01:21 PM

The thing is there isn't a lot of what I would call bad in the tree.  If you don't want to pursue the Leadership buffs you are probably fine with your attributes.  The mechanically best avenue is probably straight down the center left column and then sweep the whole bottom row of 25 xp Talents.  The whole tree though is pretty solid.

• kaosoe and bradknowles like this

#15 Plan b

Plan b

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 03:33 PM

I suggest four stats at 3, if you can take the extra obligation for exp.

• opsnafu likes this

#16 daddystabz

daddystabz

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 06:14 PM

So....to be an optimal death dealer but not be too shallow overall would you suggest to take Brawn 3, Agility 4, everything else at 2 like I have now OR:

Brawn: 3, Agility: 3, one other attribute at 3 and leftovers at 2?

#17 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 5,640 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 06:24 PM

So....to be an optimal death dealer but not be too shallow overall would you suggest to take Brawn 3, Agility 4, everything else at 2 like I have now OR:

Either work just fine. My group usually opted to go with a 4/3/2/2/2/2 spread in the first game, but in the second game the 3/3/3/2/2/2 spread is more favored. Those Characteristic scores are not necessarily assigned in the order shown.

• Liloki and bradknowles like this

#18 2P51

2P51

• Members
  • 2,786 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 06:41 PM

I'd go 4 Agility and probably 3 in Presence or Cunning.  The Agility makes you rock solid with Ranged weapons.  Presence would give you the ability to take advantage of your Leadership Talents and that Skill along with Cool for most initiative rolls, or Cunning that would give you a solid Perception roll, which we seem to do a lot of in our game.

• kaosoe and bradknowles like this

#19 Plan b

Plan b

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 03:33 AM

My take on the "best" combat-wombat to start.

Take 10 obligation for extra exp.

Be a klatooinian.

Buy Brawn 4 and Agility 4

Pick Mercenary Soldier (If AoR is available pick gunner or sharpshooter)

Use your racial skill to start with ranged heavy 2. Also take melee 1 (pick up anything as a weapon), and ranged light 1 (grenades), use your any skill on either stealth or piloting space

Start with a catch jacket, two clubs, and a stun grenade or heavy clothing and heavy blaster pistol (stun only) or the SKZ sporting blaster (stun only). Use these to acquire better gear. Mono edged melee weapons and Auto fire blasters been the aim.

Progression get as much "point blank shot" as possible then head to dedication and true aim

#20 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 5,640 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 04:44 AM

Do be aware that the Klatooinian build suggested in the post above has Willpower 1 (important for Discipkine and Vigilance, possibly Coercion) and will have a low starting Strain Threshold too.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS