Smaller Board?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Uvatha

Uvatha

• Members
  • 601 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 07:33 PM

Do you think its possible to create a smaller board set (all expansions to date) so you could fit everything on a normally sized, non king sized table!!

I was thinking nothing swish just a smaller print with the text for spaces maybe in a print out seperately. Just big enough to hold the cards on the space. Even if tight, it might make the game easier to set and pack up also making it less space consuming.

Any ideas?

• PzVIE likes this

#2 exion

exion

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 08:36 PM

Probably not what you're after, but you could give the Digital version a go and play it either on a tablet (easily fits on a table :P) or on PC (Talisman:Digital Edition is currently discounted in the Steam Sale too!) which you could play on your TV with Big-Picture mode.

Failing that, there are examples kicking around of custom boards people have made, though the ones that spring to mind are usually even bigger than the regular layout.

Otherwise you're crap out of luck and will have to resort to playing on the floor or mushing two tables together like the rest of us lowly peons! Personally I've always felt that the gargantuan, unpractical size of the board adds to the game's infamy with my friends. Playing a game is a big deal, as it should be!

#3 Uvatha

Uvatha

• Members
  • 601 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 09:37 PM

Hehehe yeah i have the digital edition but i was really asking about the real board-game. Just a idea anyways.

#4 BatHead

BatHead

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 11:26 PM

I personally couldn't deal with a smaller board. With my eyesight, I have a hard enough time reading the small type as it is now.

#5 DomaGB

DomaGB

• Members
  • 495 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 11:37 PM

I have discussed this earlier with what I hope for in a Deluxe edition. Smaller boards with all other expansion boards included.

And yes if it was done smaller in 2nd edition, 4th can be done smaller as well, and also as I have already shared I used to play 4th edition, using the 2nd edition main board, and still recommend doing that for those who have it and have small tables.

RoboRally, then Talisman. That's the way it is... ;)

#6 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 726 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 08:33 AM

I like it the size it is; most standard dining room tables are around 36", which makes it snug, but it works. If you reduced the boards, the text size would most likely be too small for me. I have enough problems now.

#7 Dirach

Dirach

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 09:38 AM

Wasn´t the Black industries board smaller?

#8 DomaGB

DomaGB

• Members
  • 495 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 09:41 AM

yes, but not as small as 2nd edition.

#9 talismanisland

talismanisland

Harbourmaster

• Members
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 11:58 AM

3rd Edition board is the smallest, just.

Here's a comparison pic I took when doing a review of the Black Industries edition -

Sorry about the size of the image! :)

tal4_review_04.jpg

Harbourmaster at Talisman Island - 15 magical years and counting!

Sometimes I even update the Talisman Island Facebook Page!

#10 Steve-O

Steve-O

• Members
  • 4,655 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 09:21 PM

So, wait. FFG's 4th ed board is even bigger than the Black Industries 4th ed board?
I'm glad I have the BI board, because I surely wouldn't want it any bigger. =P

#11 Rigmaster

Rigmaster

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 12:44 PM

I think most people wanting these smaller boards are us veteran players who have been playing Talisman together with all, or most expansions. Therefore it's possible to remove all flavour text. I think most of us wanting these boards know what each space does if it only says "Fields - draw 1 card" and notthing about what happens if there's already cards there. As for the other spaces where you're supposed to roll the dice you can just include an extra document where everything's listed, a quick reference guide if you like. I can see DomaGB's idea might the best solution, with a "deluxe set" including only the smaller boards. 

Btw, if you have the corner boards you can easily see the size of BI board as it fits in the space in the middle if you push the corners together.

• Uvatha and DomaGB like this

#12 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 726 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 12:55 PM

No, I like the size of the 4th revised, despite any other comments (eye-sight at 58 years).  So I would not be interested in anything smaller.

#13 DomaGB

DomaGB

• Members
  • 495 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 06:35 PM

It is true, having played so many years, I don't need to read most spaces any more, (still do on some). For awhile I did play 4th edition on a 2nd edition board, using the 4th edition expansions. I made a paper listing the board changes.

I definitely could see an official board made smaller, with such a document. And since it would be a "deluxe version", its quite ok some people would not want it, and they would not be missing out on any content. At least I think it should have NO new content. Which should help save on cost.

#14 PzVIE

PzVIE

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:46 AM

One of the reasons why I still play more games of Talisman II than Talisman IV is that the expansions of IV no longer fit onto my table ... which is a pity.

• Uvatha likes this

#15 Uvatha

Uvatha

• Members
  • 601 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 01:37 AM

Well thats the prob isn't it. When Woodlands comes out the gameboard is HUGE.. IF you want to play with everything.. And why not :). a smaller version of everything might be a good idea for those fellow gamers who think its a good idea. Not to smaller, big enough to hold the cards I would say.

• PzVIE likes this

#16 DomaGB

DomaGB

• Members
  • 495 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 03:37 PM

Not sure how much this relates, but there is a board game similar to Talisman called "Prophecy", I have never played it but when looking for new games I watched and read many reviews and it is said that game is horrible for space for game cards, yet it is well liked.  I think that even slightly smaller space than the card size will be ok, but an exact size would be great. I think those who would buy the game would know what is under the cards for direction and wouldn't need a bigger space to view the instructions.

#17 Uvatha

Uvatha

• Members
  • 601 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 09:43 PM

Yes thats agreed if the board could be reduced to the size of a card for the outer region "on its side" then it would be interesting to see how smaller it is.. Anyone got a good scan of the 4thed main board?

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS