Ten Towers Longship and S/W Reserves

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Deathjester26

Deathjester26

• Members
  • 788 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 11:42 AM

I had to make a ruling on this last night, and it made my brain hurt...

If I play Summer or Winter Reserves from Ten Tower Longship, what's the end result?

Does the text on the Reserves change the moribund:bottom of deck status to moribund:in play?

#2 ktom

ktom

• Members
  • 7,721 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 12:03 PM

No. When you play the Reserves, even off of the Longship, it becomes a character -- and only a character. So, since the event must resolve before the Longship's "Then, place that event on the bottom of its owner's deck" initiates, there will be no "event" for TTL to place on the bottom of the deck. The "then" effect of the location fizzles.

#3 Slothgodfather

Slothgodfather

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 12:06 PM

There is no "then" text in TTL's ability.  Here is the text in question:

"You may place an event card attached to Ten Towers Longship on the bottom of its owner's deck to play it as if it was in your hand."

To me, it isn't a question of moribund at all.  You are placing the event on the bottom of your deck to attempt to play the card as if it where in your hand.   So it goes to the bottom of your deck in order to "play from your hand".  This is a cost to using TTL's ability, similar to having to kneel Robert Baratheon to reuse an event.  Unlike Robert, TTL puts the card at the bottom of the deck as a cost, where Robert changes where the event ends up.

So, granted I'm not certain, but I would say it temporarily would go to the bottom of the deck, you pay the gold and then put them into play "from your hand".  

Edited by Slothgodfather, 27 June 2014 - 12:07 PM.

#4 Deathjester26

Deathjester26

• Members
  • 788 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 12:09 PM

Sorry ktom, I should have posted the text.  I think the version agotcards has is the incorrect one (with the "then place on the bottom of its owner's deck" text), but I can't access cardgamedb from work.

I believe the correct text says, "You may place an event card attached to TTL on the bottom of its owner's deck to play it as if it was in your hand."

Does that change the answer?

#5 ktom

ktom

• Members
  • 7,721 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 01:14 PM

Ah, well, with the correct text (shows you what I know...), the card would already be moribund from paying the cost of TTL before it resolves. That means the Reserves would be "played from your hand" off of TTL already moribund:bottom of deck. Since the Reserves aren't a replacement effect and don't specifically say anything about changing moribund states, it will still go to the bottom of the deck at the end of the window.

In fact, I'd take it a step further and say that since the card is moribund when you try to put it into play, and you cannot put moribund cards into play, you anticipate the resolution of the effect to be unsuccessful when you initiate TTL's effect and/or the event. Under the "5.0 rule," since you expect the resolution to be unsuccessful, you are not allowed to trigger it at all.

#6 Deathjester26

Deathjester26

• Members
  • 788 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 01:36 PM

That's what I ruled, but then I started reading the text on Call of the Three Eyed Crow (a dark path to walk down, I know), and was concerned that maybe these guys could eventually end up in play.

Thanks.

#7 ktom

ktom

• Members
  • 7,721 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 02:27 PM

The FAQ entry that allows Cot3EC to work doesn't apply to this situation because the effect is not trying to but the moribund card into play from its moribund destination (bottom of deck).

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS