Photo

Quest Log is still useless.. some ideas to fix it.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 booored

booored

• Members
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 06:46 AM

The quest log is nearly useless. There are a few things it needs to be useful in any meaningful way...

1) For 2/3/4 player games, have the other heroes as well as your own.

2) Include complete decks, not just heroes.

3) Have a entry specifying the most recent expansion pack available at time of entry.

4) Use the full deck lists and full hero counts (in 2/3/4 player) to build meaningful statistics. Like looking up a card (say Test of Will) and see exactly how that card is effecting the scores. 

If these first 2 points were in the log, and then the 4rd was done correctly with many different stats derived from that information then the log would suddenly be worth using. Wana see how the Shadow Cycle affected scores.. you could.. Wana see how decks not using Steward of Gondor are doing.. you could. 

There is a reason only a TINY fraction of the community used this log... it is because it doesn't even log the basic information needed to make it worthwhile.. let alone have the info in it that we as players want.

Look at these stats from a deckbuidler... 

http://www.cardgamed...ilder/?p=113714

This is the kind of thing the log should be doing but for the game state. 

• Fryden likes this
"People should be less concerned about whether they are being insulted and more concerned if it is the truth"

#2 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 06:27 PM

I dont know… i lost lure of quest log a years ago…….is useless and i dont think there is a chance to fix it…..

Wizard is never late.......

Glaurung playtrough LOTR LCG on youtube :

http://www.youtube.com/user/olegyd   

#3 booored

booored

• Members
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 09:52 PM

Almost everyone stopped using it apart form some of the newer players because it is so usless.

I mean it at the very least needs to support multiplayer properly so it records ALL heroes involved in the games... and having decks in it would be awesome.

Still if there was proper stat collection then suddenly it would be worth using.

Even taking into account that 90% of people play completely incorrectly.

• Catastrophic09 likes this
"People should be less concerned about whether they are being insulted and more concerned if it is the truth"

#4 joezim007

joezim007

• Members
  • 575 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 01:04 PM

It might become more useful at that point, but I think fewer people would actually use it just because it'd be too much effort to add a full deck's worth of cards (let alone 2-4 decks) to a quest log. The only way this would be simple enough is if it was connected to CardGameDB in order to import the decks from there.

I once shot an arrow through the pupil of a pig's eye from 300 yards away! Sadly, I was aiming for a different pig.

#5 Mndela

Mndela

• Members
  • 854 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 01:05 PM

I have logged ALL quests. ALL, literaly. Lol, i'm a friky, yes, i know (and a lot of them are really higscores for winning a challenge).

Well, it could be better of course, but i like to log here because you can see after the stadistics, and compare with friends.

Edited by Mndela, 27 June 2014 - 01:07 PM.

• booored likes this

A wizard is never late..., he arrives precisely when it is the last round

#6 joezim007

joezim007

• Members
  • 575 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 02:57 PM

Overall, the quest log is useful right now, if for nothing other than an archive to look back on, but I agree it could be more useful.

I once shot an arrow through the pupil of a pig's eye from 300 yards away! Sadly, I was aiming for a different pig.

#7 divinityofnumber

divinityofnumber

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 10:44 PM

This. I have encountered many people online who are either new and have not noticed, or still do not know that you add 10 points to your score for each round of play initiated. The numbers from the Quest Log are simply messy and cannot be trusted/useful. 

Also, as has been mentioned, many people play incorrectly. 

Clear problems:

1) Many people score incorrectly

2) Many people play incorrectly

3) People log their quests intermittently (e.g., whenever they remember to -- so, even for players who play and score correctly, the data is not likely representative of their true level of interaction with the game)

I essentially just use it to compare myself to myself. 

Edited by divinityofnumber, 21 July 2014 - 10:45 PM.

• Glaurung likes this

Star Wars LCG: FFG EC Regional 2014 - Top 4; Star Wars LCG: FFG Event Center Store Championship 2014 - Top 4; FFG Event Center Season One 2014 - Minneapolis Regional Game Night - Top 4; May the 4th Be With You 2013 - Second Chance Tournament Champion; A Game of Thrones LCG: Days of Ice and Fire 2013 - Joust Top 16

abUse the Force author on CardGameDB.com

#8 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 01:16 AM

This. I have encountered many people online who are either new and have not noticed, or still do not know that you add 10 points to your score for each round of play initiated. The numbers from the Quest Log are simply messy and cannot be trusted/useful. 

Also, as has been mentioned, many people play incorrectly. 

Clear problems:

1) Many people score incorrectly
2) Many people play incorrectly
3) People log their quests intermittently (e.g., whenever they remember to -- so, even for players who play and score correctly, the data is not likely representative of their true level of interaction with the game)

I essentially just use it to compare myself to myself.

Yes you right. What a point compare info which is probably not true at all. Quest log is dead

Wizard is never late.......

Glaurung playtrough LOTR LCG on youtube :

http://www.youtube.com/user/olegyd   

#9 c08

c08

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 10:41 AM

It is useless. Truth.

I use cardgamedb.com cause everything I need is included on this site.

FFG does not support LOTR LCG much so there is slim chance that they will push their resources to improve quest log.

#10 OnkelZorni

OnkelZorni

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 06:10 AM

FFG does not support LOTR LCG much 

It's correct, that FFG doesn't do much about the log but your statement is imo absolutly false

• booored likes this

#11 Jban

Jban

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 09:07 PM

I also use the Quest log (playing for over 2 years now),

I don't use it completely for all my quests since that doesn't interest me that much. The main reason is to see how I did compared to other victories. So my quest log actually is only a representation with which heroes I made the best results. I replace old scores with better ones and in this way I can see with which heroes I play the most (well get the best results).

With this use of the log I also see which heroes I never play so I start to make decks for them such that I could make them useful as well.

My nr 1 hero for the moment is a brandybuck with about 8.5%. I'm talking about Pippin (Lo).

Please get the Stone of Erech in the log. My notepads are full with details of highscores. I also make notes of my old highscores and the heroes of other players.

I'm not addicted to this game, I just play too often ...

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS