Full Dunland Trap spoilers!

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#21 Pharmboys2013

Pharmboys2013

• Members
  • 790 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 01:05 PM

Lost again solo, need to tweak it more but my silvan combination of Celeborn, Elrond, and Glorfindel may not be the ideal matchup for this quest.  Needs a bit of setup and with this quest you really need to be good to go from the onset.  Pleased with the challenge thus far.  This past time I made it all the way to the end but lost when all the engaged enemies attack a second time after the last time counter is removed.  Just didnt have an answer for a second assault from Chief Turch

"His life is charmed, or fate spares him for some other end."

#22 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

the Opener of Ways

• Members
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 01:26 PM

Take Tactics Boromir.

That's cursed table-talk, and I'll stick you, if you don't shut it down, see?'

#23 Estel Edain

Estel Edain

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 01:32 PM

Thank you, Master of Lore, for an amazing article.

Gizlivadi, stage 1A of The Three Trials (from the preview) reads: "At the edge of a cursed forest, the Boar Shaman explains that you must undertake three trials in order to recover the Antlered Crown, or face death." So I expect we're now either prisoners or semi-allies of the Boar Clan. If the Boar Clan controls the Antlered Crown after this scenario, that might explain why war has broken out in Dunland by the sixth adventure pack. Perhaps the Raven clan, who we're fighting in that scenario, is trying to claim the Antlered Crown from the Boar Clan. As Master of Lore points out, perhaps we end up inadvertently uniting the Dunlendings under Sauruman's influence.

#24 Gizlivadi

Gizlivadi

• Members
  • 826 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 01:36 PM

Ah you're right Estel Edain. It was the Boar clan who gives us this mission. I guess that we're taken as prisoners by Chief Turch after the Trap.

"A straight road lay westward, now it is bent."

#25 Pharmboys2013

Pharmboys2013

• Members
  • 790 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 02:20 PM

Take Tactics Boromir.

I thought of using him as well, equipped with a gondorian shield and maybe even a juiced gondorian fire he would do wonders against this quest.  Just finished up a 2 player attempt where we finally won.  Gave my friend the silvan deck and I used a mono tactics deck of Eomer, Beregond, and Legolas (thought about using Boromir instead of Eomer but I really wanted to try out Firefoot)

#26 Bullroarer Took

Bullroarer Took

• Members
  • 846 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 09:08 PM

Now 2&1. Playing tactics Boromir. Felt like I drew terribad when I lost. It happens.
Nearly all of my comments are from the perspective of the single handed solo player.

#27 Pharmboys2013

Pharmboys2013

• Members
  • 790 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 09:45 PM

To those that have played the quest a few times now, I have a question on Chief Turch. When he appears and is engaged

with the first player does that take one of the time counters off and does he become engaged with the first player on each turn or just as he's revealed?

#28 Dain Ironfoot

Dain Ironfoot

• Members
  • 646 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 10:08 PM

To those that have played the quest a few times now, I have a question on Chief Turch. When he appears and is engaged

with the first player does that take one of the time counters off and does he become engaged with the first player on each turn or just as he's revealed?

he engages - so you remove one token due to the end of round, and one because of his engaging the new first player.

#29 Pharmboys2013

Pharmboys2013

• Members
  • 790 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 10:24 PM

he engages - so you remove one token due to the end of round, and one because of his engaging the new first player.

ok thank you, thats what I figured but wasnt sure just because i normally figure if theres a rule that could go either way it normally makes it harder for the player ha

#30 Kerstoid

Kerstoid

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 11:33 PM

One of your best articles so far! Great read while I wait for my copy =)

Thanks, I had to occupy myself while waiting for mine, so I just lost it in my stack of Tolkien books.  Glad you liked it!

This was an extremely good article, Kerstoid. As I've stated before, Dunland and the Dunlendings is one of my favorte factions in Middle Earth and possibly my favorite of the enemy ones. I certainly agree that a 21st century perspective can offer interesting possibilities regarding Dunland. They have an interesting culture and lots of room for creativity and for the mind to "wander freely". Something that I would also have mentioned that, as MECCG did in the past, they have given the Dunlendings a fairly "Pictish" visual style, albeit a bit more primitive. The Boar and Raven clans, guardian spirits and Standing Stone cirlces as we'll see in the Three Trials point to an explicit celtic inspiration for the Dunlendings, which I absolutely love. I also expect FFG to develop the dunlending's morality, as you said, in a more mature and sympathetic way so they're portrayed as more than mere "wild people". Also hopefully we will see the Dunlending's dwellings, their duns, from which I think Dunland takes its name. In fact, seeing as the Dunland Trap ends in sort of a cliffhanger and that we start the Three Trials under the protection of the Raven clan, I speculate that at the end of this first adventure we will be rescued by a Raven clan ambush on our assailants, and as payment for their help we will accept these "three trials" to recover the crown.

So as I said, I have great expectations for Dunland in this cycle. My only hope is that it won't fall into the cliched, tired "who's the savage" storyline a la Pocahontas or Avatar. 

Enjoyed learning more about the Picts and duns, thanks!  I agree that a simple, they're actually good and we're actually bad twist wouldn't be satisfying.  I rather hope that learn more about FFG's interpretation of their culture (what are the keys? what is the Antlered Crown?) and understand why they fight as they do, both against us and (apparently) against each other.

As I haven't received my pack yet, I'm still speculating about the narrative text following the scenario.  If anyone wants to spoil what happens with Chief Turch's Boar Clan and our heroes after defeating the scenario, I'd welcome the change to find out!

Thank you, Master of Lore, for an amazing article.

Gizlivadi, stage 1A of The Three Trials (from the preview) reads: "At the edge of a cursed forest, the Boar Shaman explains that you must undertake three trials in order to recover the Antlered Crown, or face death." So I expect we're now either prisoners or semi-allies of the Boar Clan. If the Boar Clan controls the Antlered Crown after this scenario, that might explain why war has broken out in Dunland by the sixth adventure pack. Perhaps the Raven clan, who we're fighting in that scenario, is trying to claim the Antlered Crown from the Boar Clan. As Master of Lore points out, perhaps we end up inadvertently uniting the Dunlendings under Sauruman's influence.

It does seem that if we're taking sides in this Dunlending war, we're going with the Boar Clan against the Raven Clan.  I'm looking forward to understanding why.  Is the Antlered Crown somehow the rightful artifact of their tribe?

On a gameplay note, has anyone had success with a Celeborn / Silvan deck yet or does it still need more cards (or a different scenario) to function?

• Estel Edain likes this

My blog at Master of Lore -- Articles on Tolkien's world as seen through the LOTR LCG.

#31 Bullroarer Took

Bullroarer Took

• Members
  • 846 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 11:41 PM

Yes, but if you are playing solo the second one doesn't happen.
Nearly all of my comments are from the perspective of the single handed solo player.

#32 booored

booored

• Members
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 01:23 AM

When playing solo, First and Last Player commands target you. Only Next Player fails to resolve.
"People should be less concerned about whether they are being insulted and more concerned if it is the truth"

#33 Bullroarer Took

Bullroarer Took

• Members
  • 846 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 08:18 AM

I guess the question to me is at the end of the turn do I stay the first player or do I re-become the first player?

#34 booored

booored

• Members
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 05:33 PM

in solo.. you are ALWAYS BOTH the First and the Last player. 

Edited by booored, 29 June 2014 - 05:34 PM.

"People should be less concerned about whether they are being insulted and more concerned if it is the truth"

#35 Bullroarer Took

Bullroarer Took

• Members
  • 846 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 05:59 PM

I know that. So if I'm always the first player then he doesn't re-engage me and an additional token isn't removed.
  • PsychoRocka likes this

#36 Pharmboys2013

Pharmboys2013

• Members
  • 790 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 09:28 PM

Seriously just had the most insane/improbable victory on this quest ever.  Was play 4 player, we were outclassed by the quest essentially by turn two and should have just scooped but kept on chugging, barely made it to the last stage all heroes were 1 damage away from death. so we're at the last stage that has 16 time tokens remaining on it. 3 copies of dunlending ambush appear and we pass the current location so 12 enemies total engage the players, one of our two tactics players use the hammer stroke which causes all enemies to engage him dropping our time tokens to well below zero with Chief Turch's effect then our other tactics player uses thicket of spears so none of them attack for the phase securing our victory.  Not 100% sure on the ruling between the effect on stage 3 and how that works with thicket but it was probably the most rewarding game i've played in quite some time

• Glaurung and tomtom like this

#37 booored

booored

• Members
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 02:10 AM

I know that. So if I'm always the first player then he doesn't re-engage me and an additional token isn't removed.

No... for the 3rd time... You are BOTH the 1st and Last player at the same time.. ALL the time.. you are both. If anything targets 1st or last.. it targets you.

#38 alogos

alogos

• Members
  • 444 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 02:52 AM

Boored : what Bullroarer Took is asking is wether the first player token is lost and regain when playing solo.

If you have to say something three times, maybe you should ask yourself why the other person insist.

#39 booored

booored

• Members
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 04:15 AM

sigh.. Lets try this a 4th time....

YES IT IS LOST AND REGAINED. You are both the first and last player at the same time. So imagine you are two players. You are first and last. When the turn ended you pass the 1st player token AND receive it.

#40 Demoncow

Demoncow

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 05:54 AM

But that's not in the encounter phase.

Demoncow: He who has become a marauder.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS