• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#1 PsychoRocka

PsychoRocka

• Members
  • 622 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 04:20 AM

http://www.cardgamed...e-dunland-trap/

Full spoilers on cardgame db which FFG purchased apparently. Pretty awesome of them to put them up the second its out so I can see them before my two week wait over here in Australia =)

• shipwreck likes this

#2 Mndela

Mndela

• Members
  • 857 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 04:24 AM

Wow, fast!

Lol, the long delayed made us a lot of anxious, and the firts day it has been released also is just now uploaded in the web, lol.

A wizard is never late..., he arrives precisely when it is the last round

#3 Nerdmeister

Nerdmeister

• Members
  • 643 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 04:35 AM

Not much to do with anything but I keep reading the headline for this post as "Funland Trap Spoilers" :)

• PsychoRocka likes this

#4 PsychoRocka

PsychoRocka

• Members
  • 622 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 04:50 AM

Just looked at each enouncter and quest card as well as the two encounter sets used from Voice of Isengard and the quest looks pretty hard! Looks fun and very unique, the last stage especially and its win condition as well!

From first scrutiny it looks like FFG have done a really really good job with this quest, can't wait to get my hands on it and hopefully get proven correct!

#5 booored

booored

• Members
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 05:57 AM

some nice cards in thos one

Edited by booored, 26 June 2014 - 05:58 AM.

"People should be less concerned about whether they are being insulted and more concerned if it is the truth"

#6 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 2,071 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 07:51 AM

Yes this one looks really difficult and i love it! Sounds like this quest give you some new cool options and looks amazing in 3 4 players game.

Wizard is never late.......

Glaurung playtrough LOTR LCG on youtube :

http://www.youtube.com/user/olegyd   

#7 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

the Opener of Ways

• Members
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 08:18 AM

I think, this quest is "either defeat all enemies before advancing to the second stage or lose".

That's cursed table-talk, and I'll stick you, if you don't shut it down, see?'

#8 Bullroarer Took

Bullroarer Took

• Members
  • 857 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 09:34 AM

First, the leaked spoilers from so long ago that were found on Beorn's site were only partially correct.  Some changes have been made.

Second, While I understand the idea of resetting the player's board so that it's not so easy to steamroll through stages 2 & 3, this might be a bit too extreme.  A lot of decks will simply flat out fail here.  This is without playing it though, there could be some subtleties I am missing.

Third... My pack is in.  I'll be playing it tonight.  Woot!

Nearly all of my comments are from the perspective of the single handed solo player.

#9 kyrie

kyrie

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 06:19 PM

I already played this quest a couple times and it is definitely very difficult. You want to play all your cards because the time counter is only 2 and makes you discard your hand, but you do not want to play all your allies and attachments because the second quest card destroys all of those. Lots of strategy has to go into this when you play, and timing is everything. I only won once but it was very close. This is going to be a quest that sees a lot of play throughs. Hope you all enjoy it soon!

• Glaurung likes this

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." - Bilbo Baggins, The Fellowship of the Ring

#10 Bullroarer Took

Bullroarer Took

• Members
  • 857 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 08:55 PM

Won my first time through. Did I get lucky? Maybe. We've been waiting so long that I read all the spoilers and had a really good idea of what end quest was doing when so it wasn't like a blind play through at all. And I was playing a deck that was tuned to handle Isengard and the Dunlanders. So I was able to make my own luck by knowing which cards were important and which weren't. Note that I didn't change a single card in my deck, I just knew what was important. If I were to tune my deck going forward I would hope for more success.
Nearly all of my comments are from the perspective of the single handed solo player.

#11 danpoage

danpoage

• Members
  • 242 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 10:43 PM

Hall of Beorn Card Search now includes The Dunland Trap, as well:

http://hallofbeorn.c...he Dunland Trap

• PsychoRocka likes this

Hall of Beorn

The Grey Company

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."
—Oscar Wilde

#12 booored

booored

• Members
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 11:51 PM

Some simple solutions to own this quest....

Hammersmith / fat gross hobbit eating leadership event

Hold till you discard your attachments. As with all effects that trigger at the same time you choose the order, so place attachments in order.. Cast your attachment retrival.. and bang you back in power. 

Use Calandra for mass ally recursion. 

Stand and Fight - Ally recursion

Will of the west - Deck Recursion

"People should be less concerned about whether they are being insulted and more concerned if it is the truth"

#13 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

the Opener of Ways

• Members
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 01:12 AM

Why WIll of the West? Cards will be shuffled back into the deck by a quest effect.

That's cursed table-talk, and I'll stick you, if you don't shut it down, see?'

#14 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,817 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 03:22 AM

loving the location art in this pack

My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

#15 Mndela

Mndela

• Members
  • 857 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 06:53 AM

I can stand watching this picture some minutes without stopping

Plains-of-Enedwaith.jpg

• klaymen_sk, richsabre, Ohnomycocoa and 1 other like this

A wizard is never late..., he arrives precisely when it is the last round

#16 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,817 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 06:59 AM

truly beautiful ...

My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

#17 Kerstoid

Kerstoid

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 02:14 AM

Wholeheartedly agree on the location art; it's gorgeous.  The Old South Road is the most evocative road art yet, in my opinion.  I love it.

For more on the lore of these locations and the Dunlending enemies, please check out my latest post at Master of Lore about The Dunland Trap encounter cards.

http://masteroflore....ncounter-cards/

old-south-road_the-dunland-trap_16.jpg

• klaymen_sk, richsabre, Gizlivadi and 1 other like this

My blog at Master of Lore -- Articles on Tolkien's world as seen through the LOTR LCG.

#18 PsychoRocka

PsychoRocka

• Members
  • 622 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 03:44 AM

One of your best articles so far! Great read while I wait for my copy =)

#19 Pharmboys2013

Pharmboys2013

• Members
  • 792 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 07:19 AM

Played the quest 3 times now, twice single player once two player and have lost each time.  It is quite tricky and I do appreciate the unique challenges of the quest stages.   

• Glaurung, Khamul The Easterling and PsychoRocka like this

"His life is charmed, or fate spares him for some other end."

#20 Gizlivadi

Gizlivadi

• Members
  • 833 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 10:54 AM

This was an extremely good article, Kerstoid. As I've stated before, Dunland and the Dunlendings is one of my favorte factions in Middle Earth and possibly my favorite of the enemy ones. I certainly agree that a 21st century perspective can offer interesting possibilities regarding Dunland. They have an interesting culture and lots of room for creativity and for the mind to "wander freely". Something that I would also have mentioned that, as MECCG did in the past, they have given the Dunlendings a fairly "Pictish" visual style, albeit a bit more primitive. The Boar and Raven clans, guardian spirits and Standing Stone cirlces as we'll see in the Three Trials point to an explicit celtic inspiration for the Dunlendings, which I absolutely love. I also expect FFG to develop the dunlending's morality, as you said, in a more mature and sympathetic way so they're portrayed as more than mere "wild people". Also hopefully we will see the Dunlending's dwellings, their duns, from which I think Dunland takes its name. In fact, seeing as the Dunland Trap ends in sort of a cliffhanger and that we start the Three Trials under the protection of the Raven clan, I speculate that at the end of this first adventure we will be rescued by a Raven clan ambush on our assailants, and as payment for their help we will accept these "three trials" to recover the crown.

So as I said, I have great expectations for Dunland in this cycle. My only hope is that it won't fall into the cliched, tired "who's the savage" storyline a la Pocahontas or Avatar. 

"A straight road lay westward, now it is bent."

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS