Oman of War Fighting Styles

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Khalual

Khalual

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 03:04 PM

So I can someone explain to me the fighting styles? What they do? How do you get them? I have the book but all it says about the styles is fluff...

Diestro: Fashionable amongst the noble elite of the Empire. Fenc- ing weapons and off-hand daggers are used with speed and grace.

Twin Weapon: Warriors who use the Twin Weapon style forgo a shield and wield a second hand weapon, spinning and slashing like a whirling storm. Chaos Marauders and Beastmen often use this kind of fighting style.

#2 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 05:19 PM

In Omens of War, the fighting styles are probably best chosen as explained as a part of your background and current focus.

"He studied under an Estalian Diestro, envious of the flashing, fencing blade attacks."

There's no other requirement (if I recall correctly).

jh

#3 Khalual

Khalual

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 06:03 PM

So I didn't miss something and our is just fluff. I imagined that there would have been something more to it.

#4 Carcosa

Carcosa

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 06:16 PM

It's something we house rule here to characters of rank 2 or higher, but no, the strikes themselves have no requirement besides equipment. The Enhance cards however often require training in 2 skills, such as Diestro enhance requiring you to be WS and Co-ord trained, or 2 weapon requiring WS and Intimidate.

• Emirikol likes this

#5 Ralzar

Ralzar

• Members
  • 541 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 12:18 AM

So I didn't miss something and our is just fluff. I imagined that there would have been something more to it.

It's the same as action cards with stuff like slayer, grudge etc. There is no rule that limits anyone from taking them, but you lose out on a lot of flavor if anyone can just take them without a good fluff reason.

• Carcosa likes this

#6 DurakBlackaxe

DurakBlackaxe

• Members
  • 305 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 03:07 AM

Hmm

Doesnt the trait on the cards only matter is the card says it interacts with a card with a mentioned trait. I am sure i read that another Diestro card does something additional if another Diestro is on cooldown.

I believe most GM's limit slayer cards to slayers and saga cards to dwarves.

NPC/skaven etc to non players.

Even though i would love subdue.

The trait part of the card you dont worry about, its the other part the requirement part that you need to meat to obtain the card.  Eg on Parry is have str 3 and a melee weapon in hand.

#7 Carcosa

Carcosa

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 03:18 AM

For sure, but that info will be on the card, and not on in the rules themselves. The ref is free to allow anyone to use pretty much anything they want, no matter keywords on them. They exist for fluff reasons more than anything else. They are however......... encouraged to use them as rules. A ref could easily use say, the Flame breath monster action card to represent a drunken fire breath an give it the keyword Drunken and say it consumes your intoxicated effect, for example. (not that I would ever advocate that of course..........:D :P

#8 Emirikol

Emirikol

• Members
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 09:18 AM

Good point on Action traits.  I'd probably rule in my game that you'd need to make that part of your background.  Taking Zweihander and Diestro just to min-max a character wouldn't really sit well with me.

Subdue is a good action, but alas it's for NPC soldiers for subduing obnoxious PCs ;)

jh

wfrp-omens-fulldraw.png

#9 valvorik

valvorik

• Members
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 09:41 AM

I have a list of traits I use in my campaign that you can only take if your background/race match them or you provide a really good narrative reason (one which will usually require some time spent on that off screen etc.).

Notable Card Traits

These traits reflect specific cultural and organizational backgrounds, techniques and attitudes.  Ideally they should only be taken by characters with those backgrounds – the race and/or career indicated below or having demonstrated certain conduct in play (e.g., fighting in engagements in team).

For others to take them two prerequisites apply:  first, a narrative explanation how the character learned this action, and second that the card be acquired as a non-career advance (meaning it requires 2 advances be spent).

Ancestor – Dwarf – reflecting religious views

Bulwark – Team -work based fighting style of those who fight with shields beside others, typically soldiers or other ‘unit fighters’

Diestro – dueling style popular among Imperial nobles, coming from Tilea

Hunter’s Eye – archery style found in Imperial provinces of Hochland and Stirland and among Wood Elves.

Judgement – Witch Hunter  (Holy Templar of Sigmar)

Ritual Dance – Wood Elf Wardancer

Saga – Dwarf – steeped in the tales of old

Slayer – Dwarf Trollslayer

Watcher – Wood Elf Waywatcher

Way of the Sword – High Elf Sword Master (Temple of Hoeth upon Ulthuan in the region of Saphery)

Zweihander – empire Greatsword soldiers, dwarf hammerers, Sigmarite warrior priests or others favouring such style (any Imperial or Dwarf martial background)

• Emirikol likes this

#10 Khalual

Khalual

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 12:11 PM

So are there any PDFs of the cards? I purchased the PDF of the book without realizing it wouldn't have the cards as well.

#11 Emirikol

Emirikol

• Members
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 03:05 PM

Valvorik:  diestro should be from Estalia (not just Tilea..but tilea could be added as long as you like the spicy meatballs!)

#12 r_b_bergstrom

r_b_bergstrom

• Members
  • 503 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 01:03 PM

So are there any PDFs of the cards? I purchased the PDF of the book without realizing it wouldn't have the cards as well.

Last I heard, none of the PDFs came with cards. Makes them of dubious usefulness, I'm afraid.

The Player's Guide and the Creature Guide are the only ones that seem worth the purchase in PDF form (I personally went with hardcovers instead of PDFs for those myself) as they don't normally come with cards. (Neither does the GM's Guide, but I don't think it's worth buying even as a PDF unless you really hate card decks and want the incomplete charts instead.)

Edited by r_b_bergstrom, 26 June 2014 - 01:04 PM.

#13 x13phantom

x13phantom

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 06:10 PM

These PDFs are for people that already own the expansion and use their computers for playing. most of the pdfs are 5$ so not getting it all is not too bad. Although it is nice to know for sure what you are buying

#14 valvorik

valvorik

• Members
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 11:02 AM

Valvorik:  diestro should be from Estalia (not just Tilea..but tilea could be added as long as you like the spicy meatballs!)

Oops, will have to adjust that

#15 Emirikol

Emirikol

• Members
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 01:43 PM

These PDFs are for people that already own the expansion and use their computers for playing. most of the pdfs are 5$ so not getting it all is not too bad. Although it is nice to know for sure what you are buying

Players of this game quicly learn to scan ALL of their stuff, because there is nothing more frustrating than a lost card!
  • DrWorm73 likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS